Michael Lombardi hints Dareus to the Patriots

Estro

14 hours ago, Estro said:

On his most recent podcast "GM Shuffle" Michael Lombardi shoots down the Clowney to Pats rumors and says "he'd be more interested in Marcell Darrus because he can push the pocket"

I've noticed he usually has pretty good inside info and thought it was interesting he specifically dropped Dareus name.  With the new $ they just freed up, Ill be curious to see if it happens.  Wo I ld a guy like Dareus play for $4-5M on a 1 yr deal?

With their $8 mill in cap now that they got the extra $6 mill, he's going to bring in Dareus? Nah.

Here's what Lombardi actually said, at 8:50:  "B. [Belichick wants defensive tackles because unlike the Raiders, who have no idea how to stop Patrick Mahomes in terms of building a football team, Belichick knows the only way to get to Patrick Mahomes is to go through the middle. So he would be more inclined to say 'I'll sign Marcell Dareus to a contract than he would be to sign Clowney because Marcell Dareus can push the pocket. Marcell Dareus can create getting to the paint. Clowney's going to run past the QB. Clowney's not going to set the edge on run plays. Plus Clowney's not going to practice on Wednesday. Clowney's not going to practice on Thursday."

So he's not suggesting that they will get Dareus. Just that Clowney is not the kind of guy that would fit their system, and that Dareus would fit the system better. It's not a serious suggestion, and he doesn't mention Dareus' personality or salary or anything else. Just that Dareus would fit the defensive system of what Belichick would want better than Clowney.

The interesting thing was Lombardi saying that he wanted to grab Peters off the Bills practice squad when he was in the FO at Oakland and Al Davis turned him down. Lombardi says he already had a deal done with Jason Peters' agent and Al Davis turned down the idea..

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gotcha.  He was a beast. It’s a shame.  Personally, I’ll ride for that guy.  I want to see him prove himself because imo, he wasn’t a bad guy.  He had more death happen to him than anyone I can remember.  I lost a couple people recently and it can really eat at you.  He got lazy And made some mistakes but he never seemed malicious.  

I would love to see Dareus come back to Buffalo and finish his career with 3 good years. I hope for nothing but the best for Dareus, I hope he doesn't go to the Patriots. 

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point.  Lou Saban is known for running a super easy, player friendly program.

if this dude is serious about football (and as someone who has defended him, I’m even questioning that), you sign for the absolute minimum, and just work your butt off.  He wasted Hall Of Fame ability. 

LMAO, too funny C. Biscuit!  "Lou Saban, what a great job he's done." 

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  They had the best d line in the nfl and in franchise history.  4 guys with 10 + sacks.  I bet that’s happened less than 10 times in NFL history. 

Yes and we got him when he was at his best. People forget but he was freakishly good for a while

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/15/2020 at 8:04 AM, Estro said:

On his most recent podcast "GM Shuffle" Michael Lombardi shoots down the Clowney to Pats rumors and says "he'd be more interested in Marcell Darrus because he can push the pocket"

I've noticed he usually has pretty good inside info and thought it was interesting he specifically dropped Dareus name.  With the new $ they just freed up, Ill be curious to see if it happens.  Wo I ld a guy like Dareus play for $4-5M on a 1 yr deal?

That's not a hint of anything about the Pats* - all he did is state who he'd prefer himself.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:14 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

This will be entertaining, Dareus would despise the "Patriot way".

Dont most players adopt the Patriot way once they get there?  It seems like they get talented but troubled players all the time and it almost always works out.  Antonio Brown being the exception.

21 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Dont most players adopt the Patriot way once they get there?  It seems like they get talented but troubled players all the time and it almost always works out.  Antonio Brown being the exception.

Plenty failed -- Albert Haynesworth, Josh Gordon just off the top of my head but I am sure there are plenty others.

• Like (+1) 1