Michael Lombardi hints Dareus to the Patriots

Estro

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was a replacement level player that averaged 29 catches and 382 yards a season. You can throw a rock and find that production (especially with Brady). That was always my assertion and I’m sticking by it. He’s Zay Jones.

Chris Hogan could play though. As can Zay. Hogan earned his place in the NFL as an UDFA and proved he belonged.

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on!  He's been in the league 9 years.   Now he's going to get serious, after a 2nd team will let him go for not being serious about football?

I won’t bet on it either.  I guess it’s like if he really wanted to do it, there couldn’t be a better opportunity than NE.  That 2014 year was some of the best play I’ve seen from a DT not named Aaron Donald, who is in another stratosphere. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was a replacement level player that averaged 29 catches and 382 yards a season. You can throw a rock and find that production (especially with Brady). That was always my assertion and I’m sticking by it. He’s Zay Jones.

Better than Da’Rick and his career 197 yards.

28 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Definitely wasn't malicious, more like just a big kid who wouldn't grow up, but I can't imagine what his mindset must have been like with all those people who he was close to dying within a short time period.  Kind of makes a lot of things irrelevant to you.  I am a huge gym goer and health person and when my Mom died I literally barely went for a year. I just stopped caring about it, so I can definitely understand how he could have a "don't care" attitude to other parts of his life.  

Also, despite what we believe, many of the players don't "love" football, they are simply good at it and treat it like a job.  And like any other job, plenty of people don't really enjoy it.  

Great post.  Honestly for a guy like him, he peaked career wise at Bama.  Won a national championship for his home college.  You’re right many guys don’t love football and it’s a 9-5 for them like us.  Plus playing for the Bills then, it had to be a huge step down from Alabama,  

he was a big part of Jacksonville making that SB run when he got traded there,  

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Definitely wasn't malicious, more like just a big kid who wouldn't grow up, but I can't imagine what his mindset must have been like with all those people who he was close to dying within a short time period.  Kind of makes a lot of things irrelevant to you.  I am a huge gym goer and health person and when my Mom died I literally barely went for a year. I just stopped caring about it, so I can definitely understand how he could have a "don't care" attitude to other parts of his life.  

Also, despite what we believe, many of the players don't "love" football, they are simply good at it and treat it like a job.  And like any other job, plenty of people don't really enjoy it.  

and if you have enough money that you are set for life 3 times over, priorities can change a lot from work to things more fulfilling or fun when you watch lives end very early. Easy for a guy like him to say screw it I only live once and go out with his friends instead of showing up to the gym at the crack of dawn.

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Chris Hogan could play though. As can Zay. Hogan earned his place in the NFL as an UDFA and proved he belonged.

Not to revisit but my entire point at the time was that I’d never keep a replacement level player over a guy with a massive ceiling. I felt the same way with Jason Peters and Mike Jasper. If it turns out that the guy can’t play you can find another replacement level player. I’ve always said that and always will. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not to revisit but my entire point at the time was that I’d never keep a replacement level player over a guy with a massive ceiling. I felt the same way with Jason Peters and Mike Jasper. If it turns out that the guy can’t play you can find another replacement level player. I’ve always said that and always will. 

D'Rick didn't have a high ceiling though. He was just garbage. 

Edit: Equally when he was here the Hogan haters consistently argued he "wouldn't start for any other team in the league". Only to then see him start 28 regular season games and 7 post season games (including one Superbowl) for a team who went to the dance in all 3 of his seasons on the team. 

The Hogan haters lost. They have to own that. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Also, if he sucks that bad, you think BB would play him?

nothing has happened but these are the championship moves you make.  A guy who was once a top 5 player at his position who’s star if fading and doesn’t have great offers out there.  These are the type of moves you should be making.  There is zero risk. 

You say, “These are the type of moves you should be making”.  Who is you?  Do you think this is a move the Bills should be making?  We know that there’s close to zero% chance of that happening.  

He’s sitting on the free agent heap collecting dust.  Why?  We all know why.  He doesn’t keep himself in shape, is injured multiple times per season and is a failed drug test away from a lengthy suspension.  I feel he’s made enough money and should retire while his body is still intact enough to live happily for the rest of his life.  The game doesn’t seem to matter to him as much as it matters to great players.  Jmo

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You say, “These are the type of moves you should be making”.  Who is you?  Do you think this is a move the Bills should be making?  We know that there’s close to zero% chance of that happening.  

He’s sitting on the free agent heap collecting dust.  Why?  We all know why.  He doesn’t keep himself in shape, is injured multiple times per season and is a failed drug test away from a lengthy suspension.  I feel he’s made enough money and should retire while his body is still intact enough to live happily for the rest of his life.  The game doesn’t seem to matter to him as much as it matters to great players.  Jmo

Veteran teams who are close, don't have a huge amount of cap space and have a need at defensive tackle. The Bills don't meet any of those 4 criteria except maybe, arguably, being close. I am not convinced the Pats meet the criteria of them being close but they do meet the other 3 - vet team, not much cap space and a need a the spot.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, Estro said:

On his most recent podcast "GM Shuffle" Michael Lombardi shoots down the Clowney to Pats rumors and says "he'd be more interested in Marcell Darrus because he can push the pocket"

I've noticed he usually has pretty good inside info and thought it was interesting he specifically dropped Dareus name.  With the new $ they just freed up, Ill be curious to see if it happens.  Wo I ld a guy like Dareus play for $4-5M on a 1 yr deal?

Dareus is a phenomenal talent who could have been, possibly, an all-time-great at his position if he had been a completely different sort of person with a work ethic and drive to be perfect.

As it is, he's still capable of being damned good if he ever matures or someone like BB can get inside his head and convince him to settle down and get serious for a season or 2.

The potential upside with him is huge, though the chance for him busting all over again is also huge.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Veteran teams who are close, don't have a huge amount of cap space and have a need at defensive tackle. The Bills don't meet any of those 4 criteria except maybe, arguably, being close. I am not convinced the Pats meet the criteria of them being close but they do meet the other 3 - vet team, not much cap space and a need a the spot.

Hell, we made a similar move 2 years ago with Jordan Phillips. Guy with a decent pedigree who was available for nothing.