51st State? DC Statehood Is Happening!

Tibs, I stated this in the past and will repeat it again. 

Just because you wish it so doesn't mean it can,did, or will happen. 

If that was so, the kick would have been good and the Bills would have won SB 25.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

The U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives would need to approve the statehood admission by a two-thirds majority vote 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/new-state-in-us.htm

That’s a mistake. No where in the Constitution does it state there needs to be 2/3 vote, it just says in the constitution Congress can recognize new states and lays out a few conditions like the people there want to be a state and such. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

DC will get three electoral college votes. Two for the senators, one for the representative

You do understand that they already have 3 electoral college votes? You might want to actually read the constitution, considering you like to pretend you know what it says.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

You do understand that they already have 3 electoral college votes? You might want to actually read the constitution, considering you like to pretend you know what it says.

I’m going to rate this a “Fair strike” 

I was wrong there. First time ever in my entire life! ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

The U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives would need to approve the statehood admission by a two-thirds majority vote 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/new-state-in-us.htm

While I hate to agree with my buddy Tibs, I am not sure where they are coming up with that. The article they use as the source just states it as a fact, without mentioning where the 2/3 number comes from.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You’re an idiot.

Thanks. You are scared. 

Anyway, I was just channel flipping and went past the station showing the show with the character of your avatar there. The scene cut to him talking to this little girl and he was saying: “...And that’s how FDR ruined America.” Lol, then he hands her a claymore mine to protect her home. 

Lol 

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

While I hate to agree with my buddy Tibs, I am not sure where they are coming up with that. The article they use as the source just states it as a fact, without mentioning where the 2/3 number comes from.

Might the discussion regarding making DC a state differ somewhat with the prerequisites to making a different area a state? After all, DC was specifically made into a federal enclave. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Fzh0qniW?format=jpg&name=small

This is just blatantly false, been an issue since i moved to DC in 87

No.

You are misreading the point.

Of course you are correct that the statehood issue has been around for decades,

But can you tell me specifically why it became National news again in the past few days......................

nothing has really changed, no new rulings, Norton certainly has also been around for decades.

So what changed ?

The democrat party needed a distraction from their recent actions that effect the African-American community.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Might the discussion regarding making DC a state differ somewhat with the prerequisites to making a different area a state? After all, DC was specifically made into a federal enclave. 

Maybe, but neither article clarifies the distinction between the Constitutional procedure (which simply requires both houses of Congress to approve statehood), and creating a Constitutional Amendment to get past the District  Clause (which is unlikely to get 30 states to approve.)

• Like (+1) 2

It needs to be understood that there are numerous federal security assets and failsafes that will never ever ever fall under a state governments authority, oversight, or communication channels. Too many foreign countries own property under diplomatic immunity. Whether prevented by legal or illegal means, it just isn't going to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Maybe, but neither article clarifies the distinction between the Constitutional procedure (which simply requires both houses of Congress to approve statehood), and creating a Constitutional Amendment to get past the District  Clause (which is unlikely to get 30 states to approve.)

It takes 3/4 of the states to amend the Constitution, so 37 are needed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, Tiberius said:

I’m going to rate this a “Fair strike” 

I was wrong there. First time ever in my entire life! ;) 

If you are including everything you have ever typed on this page to this point I support your statement 100%.

Here’s a fun fact for everyone. The mayor of Washington, DC is married to Donna Brazile!. Can’t make this stuff up! Look it up if you don’t believe. People are waking up!!!!!

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:44 AM, Tiberius said:

You can’t stop it! 

I heard there would need to be a constitutional amendment in order to make that a reality which the crooks or i'm sorry the politicians could probably make it work but i would hope it is a huge uphill battle ! 

They say you lead by your actions in that case this country is so screwed & then they wonder why things are like they are ? !

41 minutes ago, T master said:

I heard there would need to be a constitutional amendment in order to make that a reality which the crooks or i'm sorry the politicians could probably make it work but i would hope it is a huge uphill battle ! 

They say you lead by your actions in that case this country is so screwed & then they wonder why things are like they are ? !

No, a simple majority vote in both houses and a presidential signature is all it takes. The Filibuster will probably have to meet it's sad and tragic untimely death, but so be it 

22 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

If Montana is allowed to be a state then DC should be. 

and Northern/Southern California should be split into 2 states. 

This is disjointed, and commingles dissimilar situations.

DC is a special case because it was specifically created by the Constitution to be unaffiliated so that the Federal government would not be unduly influenced by any one state. Having DC becomes a state would undo that, which is incredibly problematic for reasons I’m certain you can identify. Because DC was created by the Constitution for that purpose, it would require an Amendment to grant it statehood.

This has nothing to do with Wyoming, as population has nothing to do with wether or not an entity can become a state.

Any other body of land:  Puerto Rico, Guam, etc, can be admitted to the Union through normal Congressional proceedure.

What any of this has to do with California is beyond me.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, a simple majority vote in both houses and a presidential signature is all it takes. The Filibuster will probably have to meet it's sad and tragic untimely death, but so be it 

Reading comprehension still not your strong suit huh?

10 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What any of this has to do with California is beyond me.

Democrats are hoping that if they split CA correctly, they would gain 2 Dem senate seats which of course is what the whole DC talk is also about

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Reading comprehension still not your strong suit huh?

Lol, my reading comprehension is fine. Your ability to make a serious point is weak, though. Can you make your point clearly? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, my reading comprehension is fine. Your ability to make a serious point is weak, though. Can you make your point clearly? 

Me and @TakeYouToTasker have made it obvious why it would require a Constitutional Amendment and you haven't paid a bit of attention to it. So you are either lying, or have no concept of truth

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Democrats are hoping that if they split CA correctly, they would gain 2 Dem senate seats which of course is what the whole DC talk is also about

I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading about various secession movements in California.  The most plausible scenario is that California would become three states, one of which would be conservative leaning.

As an aside, all this talk of stacking the Senate, the Electoral College by adding new states in order to harness majorities to dictate policy tracks me back, once again, to the national politics leading into the Civil War, and gives me one more reason to think we’re headed there again.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading about various secession movements in California.  The most plausible scenario is that California would become three states, one of which would be conservative leaning.

As an aside, all this talk of stacking the Senate, the Electoral College by adding new states in order to harness majorities to dictate policy tracks me back, once again, to the national politics leading into the Civil War, and gives me one more reason to think we’re headed there again.

Even before the Civil War there was strife between North and South for years. Typically when they allowed new states, they did it alternating northern and southern so as not to give each other the upper hand. But yeah, I'm afraid your correct on heading in that direction again. When you consider however the first war was literally the Democrat South against the Republican North it's still the same with the Democrats once again the instigator, just turned urban (south) vs rural (north)

• Like (+1) 1

People sitting around making up fake reasons to deny people their just representation in the government that taxes, punishes, enforces laws against them. Just despicable! Hustle them out! 

Edited by Tiberius

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

People sitting around making up fake reasons to deny people their just representation in the government that taxes, punishes, enforces laws against them. Just despicable! Hustle them out! 

How many of your ancestors did the same?  How long has your family been in the US?  Did some of them live in the South and perhaps were here before the Revolution?  Please answer in the slavery thread.

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Deny them representation? Once again:

17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States

So that literally means, they are represented by 435 Representatives and 100 Senators

Let me say that again, slowly to help you understand....

S-o t-h-a-t l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y m-e-a-n-s, t-h-e-y a-r-e r-e-p-r-e-s-e-n-t-e-d b-y 4-3-5 R-e-p-r-e-s-e-n-t-a-t-i-v-e-s a-n-d 1-0-0 S-e-n-a-t-o-r-s

did that help?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cinga said:

So that literally means, they are represented by 435 Representatives and 100 Senators

S-o t-h-a-t l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y m-e-a-n-s, t-h-e-y a-r-e r-e-p-r-e-s-e-n-t-e-d b-y 4-3-5 R-e-p-r-e-s-e-n-t-a-t-i-v-e-s a-n-d 1-0-0 S-e-n-a-t-o-r-s

did that help?

He will answer something similar to this.........:rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, I responded to that distraction earlier. Non issue 

:) 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cinga said:

did that help?

Lol! And the sky is green because you say so. 

Wrong! 

No taxation without represntation! 

Right now no one directly represents over one million American citizens. That will change 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Wrong! 

Right now no one directly represents over one million American citizens. That will change 

Maybe, when you and your ilk tear up the Constitution because it won't happen without that

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Wrong! 

Over 1 million? Are we counting Puerto Rico or something? 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Perfectly constitutional, it will enter as a state just like the others did. Then PR 

PR doesn't want it and DC will either have to be given back to Maryland and Virginia first or a Constitutional Amendment

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Over 1 million? Are we counting Puerto Rico or something? 

Ok, 750,000 people 

2 minutes ago, Cinga said:

PR doesn't want it and DC will either have to be given back to Maryland and Virginia first or a Constitutional Amendment

Nope, just pass the law and sign. No more tricks to unfairly undermine representation of the people. 

And House  has already passed it! Step one, done! :) 

Edited by Tiberius

1 minute ago, Cinga said:

Just Maryland. VA reneged long ago. I guess maybe VA would reclaim half of the Potomac? 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Ok, 750,000 people

~706k. Just use the right number. No need to exaggerate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ok, 750,000 people 

Nope, just pass the law and sign. No more tricks to unfairly undermine representation of the people. 

And House  has already passed it! Step one, done! :) 

A little over 705,000 which is not the same thing as 750,000.  

7 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Just Maryland. VA reneged long ago. I guess maybe VA would reclaim half of the Potomac? 

~706k. Just use the right number. No need to exaggerate.

Looks like the VA portion of DC was returned to Virginia in the mid-1800's. Of course, I think that there is an legitimate argument to be had that if the Federal District were to be shrunk to just the main governmental areas, the rest of the city would automatically revert to Maryland's control, which would require their legislature to approve partitioning part of their state into a new state.

Oh, and 705,000 is totally the same thing as over 1 million.