51st State? DC Statehood Is Happening!

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

California with almost 40M population has same number of Senators as Wyoming less then 600K population. Is that fair representation ?

Yes it is.  Because the Senate represents the states and not the People.

It’s also the only reason it makes sense for “flyover country” to remain part of the country.

If the Senate were apportioned the same way the House is, the entire country would simply be dictated to by California and New York.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, ALF said:

Not with a republican Senate , Puerto Rico might now also try for statehood.

Again, it doesn’t matter who controls the Senate.  It requires an Amendment.

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

So California should divide into 2 states ?

If they want to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Again, it doesn’t matter who controls the Senate.  It requires an Amendment.

If they want to.

The last time Congress created a new state

The Constitution grants general state-creation powers to Congress in Article IV, Section 3, under the Admissions Clause, which reads:

“New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.”

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-last-time-congress-created-a-new-state-hawaii

Not sure of the procedure

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

So California should divide into 2 states ?

I don't particularly care what California does. The Constitution stipulates that each state gets 2 Senators. I would make the same argument if California was staunchly Republican.

1 minute ago, ALF said:

The last time Congress created a new state

The Constitution grants general state-creation powers to Congress in Article IV, Section 3, under the Admissions Clause, which reads:

“New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.”

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-last-time-congress-created-a-new-state-hawaii

Not sure of the procedure

D.C. is a separate issue in the requirements by the framers to ensure that it would not be unduly influenced. That is the point.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't particularly care what California does. The Constitution stipulates that each state gets 2 Senators. I would make the same argument if California was staunchly Republican.

D.C. is a separate issue in the requirements by the framers to ensure that it would not be unduly influenced. That is the point.

I was more concerned with Puerto Rico becoming a State.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Puerto Rico is interesting. They didn't want anything to do with statehood while companies were flocking there and the economy was booming because of tax incentives and loopholes. Once they were closed off in the late 90s/early 2000s the economy started to tank - and mostly because of horrible fiscal management and corruption. 

The last vote I am aware of was in overwhelming support of statehood; however, only about 20% of the voting population even bothered to vote.

I don't really have a stance on statehood for Puerto Rico, because I haven't studied the situation enough. I would like to see an honest debate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ALF said:

Puerto Rico can become a state through the regular admittance process as described.

DC very uniquely can not.

However for all the sabre rattling over seeking statehood, Puerto Rico doesn’t actually want it because then they would have to pay federal taxes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

However for all the sabre rattling over seeking statehood, Puerto Rico doesn’t actually want it because then they would have to pay federal taxes.

and the government would have to be more accountable

• Like (+1) 4

The process has been laid out to make DC a state and all the fake arguments aside is a pretty straight forward thing. The federal section will be reduced and a new state created. Just have to win the elections now and Trump makes that easier every time he opens his mouth 

Oh, and this will change the EC too! Three more votes for the good guys! 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

The process has been laid out to make DC a state and all the fake arguments aside is a pretty straight forward thing. The federal section will be reduced and a new state created. Just have to win the elections now and Trump makes that easier every time he opens his mouth 

Oh, and this will change the EC too! Three more votes for the good guys! 

I think you mean these guys. Good luck.

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, and this will change the EC too! Three more votes for the bad guys! 

FIFY.

These are REALLY crazy times, but I have a solution. Why doesn’t the Democrat controlled House cut to the chase and pass a bill that says from now on Democrats are required to always be in charge? Then....when the bill gets to the Republican controlled Senate, they can amend the language to substitute ‘republican’ for ‘Democrat’. Then the President can veto it and they can all get back to work. It’d be way simpler, cleaner and save a ton of time!