51st State? DC Statehood Is Happening!

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are making no sense. You obviously don’t understand how new states are created.

I understand how Senate seats are distributed. And I also understand the fundamental reasons why the framers created a federal district that was not beholden to any particular state, such as the one that would surround it with this Bill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I understand how Senate seats are distributed. And I also understand the fundamental reasons why the framers created a federal district that was not beholden to any particular state, such as the one that would surround it with this Bill.

So Congress has the power to creat a state out of DC and it will be totally constitutional. 

Just now, Tiberius said:

So Congress has the power to creat a state out of DC and it will be totally constitutional. 

I am saying it is not as simple as adding a state located anywhere else, and would inevitably involve legal battles regarding the constitutionality of the creation. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Correct.  This is why granting Washington DC, specifically, statehood requires an Amendment.

Any other body of land can be granted statehood by Congress, but DC is unique.  The Founders saw that making the Federal government beholden to any single state would give that state unjust power over the others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Correct.  This is why granting Washington DC, specifically, statehood requires an Amendment.

Any other body of land can be granted statehood by Congress, but DC is unique.  The Founders saw that making the Federal government beholden to any single state would give that state unjust power over the others.

Nope. They can actually just make it a state. 

It was commonly agreed by both parties even into the early 2000’s that DC statehood would require an Amendment.  There is a ton of precedent for this, including a failed Amendment which would have granted DC legislative representation in both houses of Congress, which was passed by Congress but was not ratified by the States.

Washington DC was specifically created by the Constitution.  It was not created in an existing state, but rather on land ceded by two states in order to create an independent and unaffiliated entity.

Had the Founders intended DC to be a state, then they would have made it one when they formed it.

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It was commonly agreed by both parties even into the early 2000’s that DC statehood would require an Amendment.  There is a ton of precedent for this, including a failed Amendment which would have granted DC legislative representation in both houses of Congress, which was passed by Congress but was not ratified by the States.

Washington DC was specifically created by the Constitution.  It was not created in an existing state, but rather on land ceded by two states in order to create an independent and unaffiliated entity.

Had the Founders intended DC to be a state, then they would have made it one when they formed it.

We will just ram it thorough. “Common agreement between political parties” ? ? 

Holmes’ bill would end this state of affairs by turning the vast majority of D.C. into the state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth. The Constitution commands the creation of a “District” to serve as the “Seat of Government.” Today, that’s the entire city of D.C., but H.R. 51 would change that. The bill would shrink this federal district to a small enclave that encompasses the White House, Congress, the National Mall, and a number of federal buildings. All the remaining land within the district would become a state. Opponents insist that, because of its unique status, the district cannot be converted into a state without amending the Constitution. Norton believes this maneuver can be accomplished through simple legislation and does not require a constitutional amendment.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/dc-statehood-hearing-constitution-republicans.html

Do it! 

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Opponents insist that, because of its unique status, the district cannot be converted into a state without amending the Constitution.

Norton believes this maneuver can be accomplished through simple legislation and does not require a constitutional amendment.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/dc-statehood-hearing-constitution-republicans.html

Norton is sadly mistaken.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

If not to gain Democrat Senators by gerrymadering then what is the purpose of creating a new state out of a little bit of land given to the federal government by 2 different states? 

Power grab by Dems, pure and simple