“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

You’re a fool - lmao

Explain what makes me a fool. 

You love one party and hate for the other when they are pretty much interchangeable and you call me a fool?  Clueless AND a fool. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Explain what makes me a fool. 

You love one party and hate for the other when they are pretty much interchangeable and you call me a fool?  Clueless AND a fool. 

Keep spinning Jim! lol

Is he next Bonnie? You gonna cancel the Governor?

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan wishes all the infighting in the Republican Party would just stop so its members can get back to winning votes. “We’ve got to get back to winning elections again. And we have to be able to have a Republican Party that appeals to a broader group of people,” Hogan, a Republican, said on NBC News’ Meet the Press. “Successful politics is about addition and multiplication, not subtraction and division.” Right now though there is a “battle for the soul of the Republican Party” going on, he added.

But he said he recognized many Republicans are afraid of criticizing the former president out of fear that they’ll face “retaliation,” like House Conference Chair Liz Cheney has experienced. “It just bothers me that you have to swear fealty to the dear leader or you get kicked out of the party. It just doesn’t make any sense,” Hogan said. “It’s sort of a circular firing squad where we’re just attacking members of our own party instead of focusing on solving problems, or standing up and having an argument, that we can debate the Democrats on some of the things the Biden administration is pushing through.”

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Nike for using Kaepernick in an ad, or when they were throwing their Keurigs out the window because the company pulled their ads from Sean Hannity’s show, or boycotting Busch over an ad about their immigrant founder, or Doritos for releasing limited edition rainbow chips in support of children bullied for their sexual orientation, or Netflix over their Obama deal, or Yeti for dropping the NRA, or the Superbowl over an ad, or Dick's Sporting Goods because they stopped selling assault style weapons, or Air BnB because some resident owners were allowing "refugees" to stay in their homes, or Ben and Jerry's because they said they didn't support the travel ban, or Disney (I can't remember why that one happened, actually... something, something inclusivity?), or Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, Apple, and Instagram (while using these exact platforms to complain) for "silencing conservatives" or having “leftist propagandists” as CEOs, or Kellogg, Johnson & Johnson, and Nestle because they stopped advertising on Breitbart and/or Laura Ingraham's program, or Starbucks because of the “war on Christmas”, or Target because they don't specify what bathroom you must use, and took down the "girls" and "boys" signs by the toys, or Macy’s and Nordstrom’s because they dropped Ivanka Trump’s clothing line (because it wasn’t selling - they weren’t even trying to make a political statement here), or United Airlines, Delta Airlines, REI, Hertz, and Enterprise because they ended their NRA rewards programs, or Amazon because Bezos publicly disapproved of the travel ban, or Marvel because they “promote social justice warriors”, or ESPN because “they should just stick to sports”, 

So those complaining about Snow White and Seuss and everything else, just shut up.  You’re idiots, as are those on the far left trying to close down stuff because it may not completely agree with their political views.  These stupid political stunts are exactly that -stupid.

You are missing one key component of my question- the mayor said she fired the cop for doing his job to appease the mob from burnt Ng down the city. When did the right threaten to burn down a city? There is a big difference between not buying products and threatening harm. I will not spend money on the NBA so long as they have players who formally endorse companies that own slaves( Klay Thompson) but I will not burn them to the ground. It is a large difference but you guys keep acting like my not buying Nike is the same as burning down ATL.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are missing one key component of my question- the mayor said she fired the cop for doing his job to appease the mob from burnt Ng down the city. When did the right threaten to burn down a city? There is a big difference between not buying products and threatening harm. I will not spend money on the NBA so long as they have players who formally endorse companies that own slaves( Klay Thompson) but I will not burn them to the ground. It is a large difference but you guys keep acting like my not buying Nike is the same as burning down ATL.

My comment was to address in general the lunacy of those on the right to try and make this “woke” stuff a real thing when they participate in the same behavior.  If the right (note I do not call it the Republican Party because there is no such thing anymore) thinks they can really chart a path back to majority rule based on this crap they’re nuts.

I don’t know what you are referring to with the Atlanta situation.  If a policeman lost his job trying to break up a riot that’s wrong.  If you’re trying to bend and twist it into some way to say only the left does this cancel culture mythical crap you’re wrong.  And yes when the extremists on the left do it they’re wrong too.

Welcome to capitalism.  Companies will make decisions based on their bottom lines.  If they think adhering to a specific political idea will cost them money, they will change their policies.  Maybe if the political extremes would grow up and realize that they don’t get their way all the time we could get by this crap.

43 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My comment was to address in general the lunacy of those on the right to try and make this “woke” stuff a real thing when they participate in the same behavior.  If the right (note I do not call it the Republican Party because there is no such thing anymore) thinks they can really chart a path back to majority rule based on this crap they’re nuts.

I don’t know what you are referring to with the Atlanta situation.  If a policeman lost his job trying to break up a riot that’s wrong.  If you’re trying to bend and twist it into some way to say only the left does this cancel culture mythical crap you’re wrong.  And yes when the extremists on the left do it they’re wrong too.

Welcome to capitalism.  Companies will make decisions based on their bottom lines.  If they think adhering to a specific political idea will cost them money, they will change their policies.  Maybe if the political extremes would grow up and realize that they don’t get their way all the time we could get by this crap.

It's a waste of time debating these people - if Trump told them to jump over Niagara Falls - they would.

13 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It's a waste of time debating these people - if Trump told them to jump over Niagara Falls - they would.

Debate?  LOL 

You wouldn't know a debate if it kicked you in the nuts. 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So you argued against me while having no clue what I was referencing and then when I clarify you still have no idea what I am referencing but your point is right because you are gonna stay ignorant so you can still be right. I will clarify one last time, the straight economic boycott is not what I find particularly objectionable but when it is backed up with the threat of violence if the left does not get its way. And you have proven the right does not do that.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So you argued against me while having no clue what I was referencing and then when I clarify you still have no idea what I am referencing but your point is right because you are gonna stay ignorant so you can still be right. I will clarify one last time, the straight economic boycott is not what I find particularly objectionable but when it is backed up with the threat of violence if the left does not get its way. And you have proven the right does not do that.

I was not responding specifically to your post.  Get over yourself.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I was not responding specifically to your post.  Get over yourself.

Them why did you respond to my specific post? And why did you respond a second time to my specific post? I accept that neither side is clean or reasonable but the violent threats what bothers me and that is what I am calling out 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Them why did you respond to my specific post? And why did you respond a second time to my specific post? I accept that neither side is clean or reasonable but the violent threats what bothers me and that is what I am calling out 

I did not respond specifically to your first post.  After pages of this crap about how the right is so upset over this cancel culture myth I found what I posted on Google just to show how absurd they are.  Then since you addressed me directly I answered in a second post.  It is not all about you.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I did not respond specifically to your first post.  After pages of this crap about how the right is so upset over this cancel culture myth I found what I posted on Google just to show how absurd they are.  Then since you addressed me directly I answered in a second post.  It is not all about you.

So you're saying the cancel culture doesn't exist?

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes.  It is a stupid, catchy phrase for political horsecrap that the extremes of each party have done for years now.

So you’re saying what we’re seeing here, people losing their livelihoods for having a different opinions, has been going on for years?  You don’t see any more extreme use of the tactic the past 5 or so years? 

Must be nice to be this oblivious to the world around you. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you’re saying what we’re seeing here, people losing their livelihoods for having a different opinions, has been going on for years?  You don’t see any more extreme use of the tactic the past 5 or so years? 

Must be nice to be this oblivious to the world around you. 

More extreme in the last 5 years yes.  For an obvious reason.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

More extreme in the last 5 years yes.  For an obvious reason.

Wait so now it’s more extreme?  Are you confused because you sound confused. 

And what do you attribute this increase in the cancel culture to?  

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Wait so now it’s more extreme?  Are you confused because you sound confused. 

And what do you attribute this increase in the cancel culture to?  

Yes , it’s more ridiculous now than ever before.  And stupider than before.  And meaningless.  Perhaps obtuse would be a more apt description of your conduct here. 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yes , it’s more ridiculous now than ever before.  And stupider than before.  And meaningless.  Perhaps obtuse would be a more apt description of your conduct here. 

But you said or was a myth.  Obtuse?  Me think not. 

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

We know.......

Explain that to @BillStime   This appears to be something else we can add to his long list of things he doesn't understand. 

I don't think our left-leaning friends will ever admit that cancel culture exists on the left.  Its an exercise in futility to engage them in that effort.  
To admit the left has power to harm others through cancel culture is to admit the left wields powers assigned to the oppressor and therefore is the oppressor.  This would conflict with the perpetual victim narrative and invalidate their entire belief system.  Therefore, leftist cancel culture cannot possibly exist and it is just a false narrative created by the right to further assault them.  Psychologically I think its what's called "cognitive dissonance.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I don't think our left-leaning friends will ever admit that cancel culture exists on the left.  Its an exercise in futility to engage them in that effort.  
To admit the left has power to harm others through cancel culture is to admit the left wields powers assigned to the oppressor and therefore is the oppressor.  This would conflict with the perpetual victim narrative and invalidate their entire belief system.  Therefore, leftist cancel culture cannot possibly exist and it is just a false narrative created by the right to further assault them.  Psychologically I think its what's called "cognitive dissonance.   

Cancel culture is a nonsense term used to try and inflame the right wing base.  In reality, both political persuasions do this crap.  They try and influence businesses to bend to their political will.  It has gone on for years and years.  It is not some new thing that only the left wing does, look at the list I posted earlier where right wing nut jobs tried to close down companies like the NFL and many others.

Businesses will always do what they feel helps their bottom line the most.  If it means adopting a more right wing position, they will do so.  If it means adopting a more left wing position, they will do so.

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Cancel culture is a nonsense term used to try and inflame the right wing base.  In reality, both political persuasions do this crap.  They try and influence businesses to bend to their political will.  It has gone on for years and years.  It is not some new thing that only the left wing does, look at the list I posted earlier where right wing nut jobs tried to close down companies like the NFL and many others.

Businesses will always do what they feel helps their bottom line the most.  If it means adopting a more right wing position, they will do so.  If it means adopting a more left wing position, they will do so.

I'm not talking about business boycotts or political influence.  That's an entirely different thing.  I'm talking about leftist attacks that are personalized and targeted to specific individuals.  Attacks that seek to ruin people's lives.  Coerce their employers to fire them.  Cause them tangible and personal harm.  Attacks driven by some belief that their "safe spaces" are being violated.  There's a big difference between the two.  

Its about exerting power over the livelihoods of people that dare to oppose their views.  People like the lone editor or writer at the NYT's or other papers that dare to write or publish an article or interview someone expressing views the mob doesn't approve.  Its about controlling what people can do, what people can say, and what people can think.  Its a dangerous threat to democracy and free expression.  And pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it disappear.  Frankly, I'm growing tired of anyone that continues to give these mentally weak and emotionally immature "victims" a pass.  My guess is they were spoiled little brats as children that mommy and daddy didn't have the ability or the stomach to discipline and now they've grown into spoiled adult brats.  

4 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm not talking about business boycotts or political influence.  That's an entirely different thing.  I'm talking about leftist attacks that are personalized and targeted to specific individuals.  Attacks that seek to ruin people's lives.  Coerce their employers to fire them.  Cause them tangible and personal harm.  Attacks driven by some belief that their "safe spaces" are being violated.  There's a big difference between the two.  

Its about exerting power over the livelihoods of people that dare to oppose their views.  People like the lone editor or writer at the NYT's or other papers that dare to write or publish an article or interview someone expressing views the mob doesn't approve.  Its about controlling what people can do, what people can say, and what people can think.  Its a dangerous threat to democracy and free expression.  And pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it disappear.  Frankly, I'm growing tired of anyone that continues to give these mentally weak and emotionally immature "victims" a pass.  My guess is they were spoiled little brats as children that mommy and daddy didn't have the ability or the stomach to discipline and now they've grown into spoiled adult brats.  

Yea okay bro 

image.thumb.jpeg.18f64b63d9db3370edbc496220fa355f.jpeg

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

And I'm saying that works both ways, on the right and the left, and that I detest it regardless.  I am an independent, very conservative when it comes to fiscal and law and order policies, much more liberal when it comes to social policies.  Why so many people get all hot and bothered about people of different colors or gender identity and such and try to marginalize them is beyond me.  And when such folks then fight back and demand their rights and apply political pressure to do so, I understand.  But it goes too far sometimes.

I'll give you an example in my town right now.  The local high school hired a diversity and inclusion officer, mainly in response to minority students feeling bullied and harassed at school.  The school also has wrestled with how to accommodate transgender students and instituted a policy where students should use a restroom of the gender they identify with.  Fine by me there.  A student objected to this based on her religious beliefs (also fine by me, we all have a right to our opinions), and then a transgender student started going after her on social media, telling her she should be killed for her attitude and such.  That is definitively NOT all right by me, and as much as I support the transgender community that student should be disciplined severely for threatening another student.

The bottom line in all this is simple:  people are more concerned with yelling about things than listening and learning about the other side.  

20 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yea okay bro 

You go one that you keep referring to over and over again.  This is like a Globtrotters game where you say “Look!!  The Generals scores 20 points!!”    Sure did but they still got there asses kicked. 

5 hours ago, BillStime said:

Yea okay bro 

You continue to meet my low expectations with your responses.  If you are incapable of presenting an intelligent argument to support your views or counter mine then silence might be the correct approach. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You continue to meet my low expectations with your responses.  If you are incapable of presenting an intelligent argument to support your views or counter mine then silence might be the correct approach. 

So, let me get this straight - here is your quote:

I'm talking about leftist attacks that are personalized and targeted to specific individuals.  Attacks that seek to ruin people's lives. 

And I respond with an image of Colin Kaepernick - who was attacked by the right - and you don't LIKE IT?

Too damn bad.

Edited by BillStime

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

And I'm saying that works both ways, on the right and the left, and that I detest it regardless.  I am an independent, very conservative when it comes to fiscal and law and order policies, much more liberal when it comes to social policies.  Why so many people get all hot and bothered about people of different colors or gender identity and such and try to marginalize them is beyond me.  And when such folks then fight back and demand their rights and apply political pressure to do so, I understand.  But it goes too far sometimes.

I'll give you an example in my town right now.  The local high school hired a diversity and inclusion officer, mainly in response to minority students feeling bullied and harassed at school.  The school also has wrestled with how to accommodate transgender students and instituted a policy where students should use a restroom of the gender they identify with.  Fine by me there.  A student objected to this based on her religious beliefs (also fine by me, we all have a right to our opinions), and then a transgender student started going after her on social media, telling her she should be killed for her attitude and such.  That is definitively NOT all right by me, and as much as I support the transgender community that student should be disciplined severely for threatening another student.

The bottom line in all this is simple:  people are more concerned with yelling about things than listening and learning about the other side.  

It’s interesting the lengths we feel compelled  to go to get to the point where we state emphatically that a person who threatens to kill another should be disciplined severely.  Seems it should be a strait-forward expulsion and that’s that. 

Time for one bathroom, multiple stalls and a come as you are approach to 1s, 2s and as necessary and politically correct, 3s.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It’s interesting the lengths we feel compelled  to go to get to the point where we state emphatically that a person who threatens to kill another should be disciplined severely.  Seems it should be a strait-forward expulsion and that’s that. 

Time for one bathroom, multiple stalls and a come as you are approach to 1s, 2s and as necessary and politically correct, 3s.  

I would agree with expulsion.