“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF: Cancel Culture Almost Canceled Itself on Tuesday Then Canceled That Idea. 

“It’s Christmas in July! We’re going to have conversations and cancel culture is about to be canceled by people on the side of cancel culture!

OK, I did feel super awkward about being on the same side as Chomsky — I kind of wanted a Silkwood shower — but, not to worry, the Kumbaya moment didn’t last long.

No sooner had the news about the Harpers article begun to get a lot of attention than many of the enlightened co-signatories decided that some of the company were too icky for them to be associated with.”

fafn-586x600.png

5 hours ago, Cinga said:

What ever happened to peer review? Are we no longer allowed to present a counter argument to anything?

They're looking to and in many ways succeeding in take away freedom of speech. If you openly disagree with the mob, you can lose your job, your business, death threats, socially shunned. God help us if the left wins in November.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

They're looking to and in many ways succeeding in take away freedom of speech. If you openly disagree with the mob, you can lose your job, your business, death threats, socially shunned. God help us if the left wins in November.

They’re going to.

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DEMOCRATS REVEL IN CRUELTY AND PERSONAL DESTRUCTION: 

Crushing an Inwood eatery just because you don’t like how its owner voted.

This stood out to me, too.

</snip>

Here is how The New York Times described the local reaction: “The backlash was swift, as you might expect. Neighbors railed in the comments on various neighborhood Facebook groups, posting hundreds of angry messages aimed at the cafe — and one another. Some people called for a boycott.” Note the term “as you might expect.” What sane person would expect this?

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2