Jim Kelly, "something wrong" if Bills don't take East

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people think there is some incremental growth to winning a Super Bowl? 

Like you have to win and then lose a playoff game first before going to the Super Bowl? 

But isn't that blueprint exactly what KC followed since drafting Mahomes (this board's favorite beat-up-the-Bills draft time regret)? The dragon that is Tom Brady did not go tenderly into that good night 2 yrs ago, and last year it took an upstart Tennessee running game to take out Brady for the Chiefs, although they probably would still have won the AFC title game notwithstanding? 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

What does the team 20 years ago have to do with today's team??

There is no gradual improvement requirement to win a Super Bowl. The 2017 Super Bowl champ Eagles came in last in their division the year before.

Hypothetically yes.

You believe this Bills team is a Superbowl caliber team?

I don't see any tangible evidence of that. People are projecting based on hopes and off-season hype. Allen has a lot of growing to do before he is good enough to win a Superbowl.

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Exactly. 

The 49ers were 4-12 in 2018. 

They nearly won a Super bowl in 2019 with a 13-3 regular season record to boot. 

It happens all the time. 

Their QB was injured.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What does the team 20 years ago have to do with today's team??

There is no gradual improvement requirement to win a Super Bowl. The 2017 Super Bowl champ Eagles came in last in their division the year before... beating the Atlanta Falcons and all their playoff experience in the process. 

Atlanta should never be used as a football exhibit except as a sad outlier of statistical sorts. Anyone who lives down here will be able to chime in affirmatively. ;)

13 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Exactly. 

The 49ers were 4-12 in 2018. 

They nearly won a Super bowl in 2019 with a 13-3 regular season record to boot. 

It happens all the time

Without digging into pro football reference for the actual year over year numbers of "worst going to first" I feel like that doesn't pass the smell test for a majority of SB winning squads, but I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong on my gut. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hypothetically yes.

You believe this Bills team is a Superbowl caliber team?

I don't see any tangible evidence of that. People are projecting based on hopes and off-season hype. Allen has a lot of growing to do before he is good enough to win a Superbowl.

Their QB was injured.

This team is a Qb away from winning a Super bowl. 

If we had Mahomes, super bowl. 

Brees, super bowl

Rodgers,  super bowl

Roethlisberger, super bowl

Rivers, super bowl

You get the picture. 

Also, the 49ers were 6-10 in 2017.  So theres that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Spot on.  

There is a psychological factor at work when one team has dominated a division for so long.  Ironically, the most apt comparison is the Yankees & Red Sox. The Red Sox had to overcome that psychological hurdle - which was much worse given the near-century time of ownership by the Yankees. 

They did it in dramatic fashion, which I wouldn't mind - but I'd prefer just blowing the Pats out twice and winning the division easily.  We have the best team, and it's not that close.

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Atlanta should never be used as a football exhibit except as a sad outlier of statistical sorts. Anyone who lives down here will be able to chime in affirmatively. ;)

Without digging into pro football reference for the actual year over year numbers of "worst going to first" I feel like that doesn't pass the smell test for a majority of SB winning squads, but I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong on my gut. 

But we weren’t worst. We were a playoff caliber team. The Rams were 1 and done the year before they went to the SB.

This is the NFL. Every year is different.

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

And yet we haven't won the division or even a playoff game for decades.

So no, I disagree. The first step should be winning the division and a playoff game and then we go from there. Obviously the Superbowl is always the goal, but can we realistically expect this team who hasn't won a playoff game to go all the way to the Superbowl?

Anyone who thinks we have a Superbowl caliber team right now is wrong.

On paper with the sum total of the moves made during this offseason I think anyone would be hard pressed to say this team is still absolutely not super bowl caliber; I think it'd be more accurate to say if they flame out of the playoffs in the first round this year, then they are vastly underperforming the quality of the roster. And in the playoffs, anything can happen, just ask the upstart 10-6 wildcard Eli Manning Giants during the first takedown of Brady in 2007. I think this team has SB caliber potential this year. But I stand by a predicted exit in the AFC title game.  

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I've been waiting for weeks to know what Jim Kelly's thoughts are on this. [/sarcasm off]

As opposed to say, the innumerable talking heads on ESPN who don't give a flip about the Bills? What would make Jim's comments any less newsworthy for discussion on this board?

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Winning the division can't be the goal.  I'm sick of baby steps.  Win the ***** Super Bowl.

heck, I’m good with going to the AFCCG... but they need to win the division and win in the playoffs this year, realistically. 

once on those big stages there’s some luck but over 16 they need to win the division regardless and should win a home playoff game from there.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

They can beat Baltimore........with a more potent offense, they would have, last year. 

KC is a witch......they gonna be good for a little while.

If Daboll and the o-line can figure out an answer for the blitzes Baltimore will dial up, as well as their d-line pressure stunts, then I agree with beating Balt.  Until then, the Ravens will win most, if not all, of the time.

KC will be tough, but I think you have to get pressure on Mahomes.  Easier said than done, but you can't beat him with coverage only.

11 minutes ago, Happy said:

KC will be tough, but I think you have to get pressure on Mahomes.  Easier said than done, but you can't beat him with coverage only.

Ed Oliver can weave his way through the lanes and pressure him.........he's good at that.

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people think there is some incremental growth to winning a Super Bowl? 

Like you have to win and then lose a playoff game first before going to the Super Bowl? 

You're right. The 49ers didn't need to wait. The Eagles didn't need to wait. Quick turnarounds can and do happen in the NFL and the expectation this year is that we are competing for the Super Bowl. No one will get fired if we lose another wildcard game but no one should be happy with that.

Not sure what else we're waiting for at this point. We have the defense in place. We have the QB. We have a solid receiving corps. We have continuity on the coaching staff. If we aren't competing for a Super Bowl this year something did go wrong. Another year of draft picks won't push us over the edge. Either the QB and the coaching staff are ready now or it's fair to question if they ever will be.

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'll believe that when I see it.... McDermotts record against winning teams is pretty bad to this point.

This is exactly why the Bills are not ready to go to a SB this year.  It's about McDermott growing as a HC just as much as it is about Josh growing as a QB.  I believe Josh is up to the task, McDermott.........we'll see.

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You're right. The 49ers didn't need to wait. The Eagles didn't need to wait. Quick turnarounds can and do happen in the NFL and the expectation this year is that we are competing for the Super Bowl. No one will get fired if we lose another wildcard game but no one should be happy with that.

Not sure what else we're waiting for at this point. We have the defense in place. We have the QB. We have a solid receiving corps. We have continuity on the coaching staff. If we aren't competing for a Super Bowl this year something did go wrong. Another year of draft picks won't push us over the edge. Either the QB and the coaching staff are ready now or it's fair to question if they ever will be.

Seahawks needed to wait and they're the SB winning team we resemble most imo

14 minutes ago, Happy said:

This is exactly why the Bills are not ready to go to a SB this year.  It's about McDermott growing as a HC just as much as it is about Josh growing as a QB.  I believe Josh is up to the task, McDermott.........we'll see.

McDermott's poor record against top teams isn't that surprising. Both he and Beane had to rebuild the team where they were starting at a point with 17 straight years of no playoffs. This year is the 1st year of Beane/McDermott where the Bills have a team on paper that can beat the top teams. If McDermott fails to beat top teams this year then he should face some criticism.