Just watched Replay of Bills/Pats Week16

9 hours ago, ColeB said:

Caught the last few minutes and it was again difficult to watch.  The clock operator kept letting it run after incompletions.  Then, how the refs didn’t see the face mask infraction on Allen’s 4th down run still amazes me.  Didn’t really matter as Allen got the first down followed by a Beasley reception which got them closer than the half the distance penalty would’ve.  The pass to Knox was so close which was a bummer since he was open.  A more athletic TE might have been able to jump for it.

Finally, for those who thought Ford got better as the season went on, on the final play, he pushes the defender once with arms extended but then lets him go, forcing Josh to throw up a prayer where Cole B Smurf was outjumped for the ball by the DB.

Aarrgghh!  I don’t know why I let myself rewatch losses.

Allen did have a bad game but it's the officials that really make every Patriots game a miserable experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sometimes I feel something's missing with him between the ears.  

Maturity. And with maturity comes learning how to harness stress and focus your decision making. I'm all in on taking the route of patience with Allen, to give him the time to develop the mental aspects of his game. I'm not in the camp of "you either have it or you don't." He shows signs of improvement, and I believe he will continue to improve. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I can’t rewatch games this time of the year especially losses.  It’s like getting you’re spleen taken out without anesthetic.

Which was like being a fan for the previous 18 years ;) 

At least we are in almost in every game  now and a play here or there or a face mask call could put us over the top.

In the first quarter Wallace gets this ticky tack call for illegal contact to extend the Cheaters drive leading to their first TD.

Watch in the 4th quarter the near mugging of the Bills receivers with no calls :(

Just need the zebras to call them even and this is a W.

Edited by JMF2006

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Maturity. And with maturity comes learning how to harness stress and focus your decision making. I'm all in on taking the route of patience with Allen, to give him the time to develop the mental aspects of his game. I'm not in the camp of "you either have it or you don't." He shows signs of improvement, and I believe he will continue to improve. 

He shows prolonged flashes of greatness.

He just needs to realise he doesn't need to do it alone he has a way better team around him now than he has ever had anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I agree. I looked at that game and Allen's performance as this, after a slow start it was by far his best game against the Pats*** to date. Far from perfect, but definitely an improvement over his 2 prior games against them. That's what you hope for in a young QB, signs of improvement.

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen was atrocious in the first half until that throw to Knox to get them down to the NE 1 yard line.

No unlike any other QB in the NFL.......they can up and down quarters.   What you look for is improvement in consistancy as they add pieces around them and they gain NFL experience.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And they'll give him time... he's still making the same mistakes he made at Wyoming. Hopefully we see the boneheaded plays stop starting this season. 

He has also improved on some things he was doing at Wyoming.....are you going to talk about that at some point?

Probably not

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Since you posted this there has been some other spot on responses.  One other way to say what you have stated "Maturity" is "Emotions".

Josh seems to let them get away at times.  Just an observation.  Part of maturity is keeping emotions in check at times.

Those emotions make him play "hero ball" and result in most of his "bad plays".

I notice this especially in home games.  He get's "too amp'ed" at times.  I see JA making the baby steps and I sure hope he takes a big step this year.

Beating the Pats* once (or especially twice!) this season will go a long way in getting these "emotions" off everyone's back!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ColeB said:

Finally, for those who thought Ford got better as the season went on, on the final play, he pushes the defender once with arms extended but then lets him go, forcing Josh to throw up a prayer where Cole B Smurf was outjumped for the ball by the DB.

Well, on further review. 4th and Goal to beat the Pats and win the AFC East. Dawkins was the worst on that play. I mean epically bad. He had rushers on his left and right and he fell down on his face. Both of them became free rushers with a clear line to Allen. Had it been just Ford's guy he was pushed far enough to the outside that Josh could have just stepped up. But no, Dawk fall down. 

Also, Knox is one on one with McCourty and that's kind of open. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just goes to show how badly they had Buffalo's number with TB.  The next two weeks they lost at home to Miami, who Buffalo was clearly better than, and then Tennessee in the playoffs.  No reason the Bills couldn't have won that game. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He was a mixed bag in the playoff game. Some awesome plays, some good and bad throws, and some wtf are you doing plays.... basically his career to this point. 

Sometimes I feel something's missing with him between the ears.  

I can’t argue with this. And after all of that he still forced OT and was still an awful missed block away from driving us down for the win. 

Im optimistic. I saw obvious improvement throughout the year and even after the playoff meltdown, still having us in position during OT just shows a cold blooded nature that I love. 

and my main point of what you originally responded to was that regardless of his up and down play in that game, the good/amazing were basically swept under the rug due to the outcome. I’m not mad about it. That’s how it goes. I was just pointing it out 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And they'll give him time... he's still making the same mistakes he made at Wyoming. Hopefully we see the boneheaded plays stop starting this season. 

The guy had 13 total turnovers in 15 games. 6 in the last 12 games. I would argue any boneheaded plays you are speaking of definitely were the exception last year and not the rule. The numbers show that. That’s an obvious trend in the right direction. Hands down. 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

13 Official turnovers yes...but he must’ve fumbled the ball in 4 or 5 straight games at one point last season and the ones we recovered obviously don’t go down as turnovers...he was pretty careless with the football, IMO. 

At times he was, at other times I thought he was too cautious, but after the first New England game there's no one that can say he wasn't more mindful with the ball. Only 3 INTs & 3 lost fumbles in the final 13 games(Counting the playoff game). Less than .50 turnovers a game in his last 13 games is a HUGE improvement over the 12 games he played in 2018 and the first 4 in 2019 when he was averaging 1.38 per game. In the 13 game span I thought he played against some of his toughest competition so far, including a stretch last year that he played in his first prime time game(Thanksgiving on the road), then the Ravens, then at Pitt(Sunday Night), then at New England(Saturday evening game). That doesn't count playing a really good Denver defense the game before the Thanksgiving game. In those 5 games Josh played against the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 10th & 11th best pass defenses.

He played a lot better after game 4 against the Pats*** last year, once he had a full 16 games played under his belt. He has keep improving, no one is saying any different, but he has definitely improved in the last 13 games over his previous 16 games. That's something everyone should be able to acknowledge. What I love the most is he plays his best when the game is on the line. In the 4th quarter of one score games(+/- 7 points) last year he was 36/63 for 522 yards with a 8.3 AVG 5 TDs 0 INTs and a 110.7 QB Rating. He raises his game when it means the most. We haven't had a QB that has been capable of that since Kelly was on the field. I don't see this kid failing, he's too much of a competitor to let that happen to him.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus really? Will Bills fans ever stop blaming refs??

I think many Bills fans think we get screwed a lot but truly the NFL officials have become the worst officials in sports- they miss far to many obvious calls( facemask and helmet to helmet) and call too many phantom calls- but they do it to everyone. 

22 hours ago, ColeB said:

Caught the last few minutes and it was again difficult to watch.  The clock operator kept letting it run after incompletions.  Then, how the refs didn’t see the face mask infraction on Allen’s 4th down run still amazes me.  Didn’t really matter as Allen got the first down followed by a Beasley reception which got them closer than the half the distance penalty would’ve.  The pass to Knox was so close which was a bummer since he was open.  A more athletic TE might have been able to jump for it.

Aarrgghh!  I don’t know why I let myself rewatch losses.

I said this in another post but that game really exposed where the Bills are, not weak exactly but not elite. We lost the line of scrimmage. Here's hoping the new additions will fix that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Well, on further review. 4th and Goal to beat the Pats and win the AFC East. Dawkins was the worst on that play. I mean epically bad. He had rushers on his left and right and he fell down on his face. Both of them became free rushers with a clear line to Allen. Had it been just Ford's guy he was pushed far enough to the outside that Josh could have just stepped up. But no, Dawk fall down. 

Also, Knox is one on one with McCourty and that's kind of open. 

Damn. He gets that ball to Knox there and he likely scores. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think many Bills fans think we get screwed a lot but truly the NFL officials have become the worst officials in sports- they miss far to many obvious calls( facemask and helmet to helmet) and call too many phantom calls- but they do it to everyone. 

Does the NFL monitor the refs bank accounts to make sure they are not getting paid off? The opportunity is certainly there, just saying.

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He was 3rd in the league in total fumbles with 16. Only two behind Daniel Jones who led the league....

Like I said, just because they didn't result in turnovers doesn't mean he wasn't careless with the football. 

He had 14 fumbles in the regular season, the other 2 were in the playoffs game. Daniel Jones wasn't in the playoffs, so it would result in Josh being 4 behind him. Like I said he got better as the year went on, in this area also. 11 came in the first 9 games, the other 3 came in the final 7 games and obviously the 2 in the playoff game. If I remember correctly a few of these were fumbled snaps(Who's at fault?) and a few more were a result of defenders not being blocked and having free shots of Josh. Once again does he need to keep improving, he sure does, but just stating numbers doesn't tell the whole story. A story that showed him getting better at throwing less INTs(By a ton) and fumbling the ball less as the year went on.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshallen/2560955/gamelogs