Trump v Vance

On Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear one of the most consequential cases ever considered on executive privilege. Trump v. Vance concerns a subpoena issued by the Manhattan district attorney to President Trump’s accountants demanding the release of tax returns and other financial documents to a grand jury.

What is at stake is no less than the accountability of a president to the rule of law.

Mr. Trump claims that a president has “temporary absolute immunity,” meaning he cannot be criminally investigated while in office. Indeed, in oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York, his lawyers said that if the president were to shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, he could not be investigated or indicted until after he left office.

If the justices endorse this extreme view, they will make it impossible to hold this president, and all future presidents, answerable in courts for their actions.

Mr. Trump’s legal position contradicts clear Supreme Court precedent. In U.S. v. Nixon, a unanimous Supreme Court ordered President Richard Nixon to turn over Oval Office tapes subpoenaed by the Watergate special prosecutor, Archibald Cox. In Clinton v. Jones, a unanimous court held that a sitting president can be forced to testify in response to a subpoena in civil litigation. Taken together, these cases make it clear that the president is not immune from investigation, whether criminal or civil, while he is in office.

Mr. Trump’s claims of absolute immunity are even weaker than the assertions by Presidents Nixon and Bill Clinton. The subpoena was issued by a state, rather than a federal prosecutor. The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution allows states a certain degree of autonomy in investigating and prosecuting crimes. Although grand jury proceedings are secret, Mr. Vance is probably also investigating whether the president’s company, the Trump Organization, falsely accounted for hush-money payments made in the run-up to the 2016 election to two women who claim they had affairs with Mr. Trump. To deny New York the right to exercise its “police powers” over serious financial crimes should give the court’s conservative justices pause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/supreme-court-trump-executive-privilege.html

I picked up this 15 pound brisket at Sam's for 3.98$ a pound.  It's in the fridge now getting a cold brine till tonight.  it's gonna go on the pellet grill (competition blend) till an internal temp of 170 or so.  Then its gonna get wrapped in peach paper with a splash of bourbon till an internal of 195.  Gonna finish it by  wrapping in a towel and putting in a cooler for an hour. 

After all that, gonna deliver a hot plate of brisket, beans, greens, and Mac and cheese to mom for a mother's day dinner.  

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

I picked up this 15 pound brisket at Sam's for 3.98$ a pound.  It's in the fridge now getting a cold brine till tonight.  Then it's gonna go on the pellet grill (competition blend) till an internal temp of 170 or so.  Then its gonna get wrapped in peach paper with a splash of bourbon till an internal of 195.  Then wrapped and put in a cooler for an hour. 

After all that, gonna deliver a hot plate of brisket, beans, greens, and Mac and cheese to mom for a mother's day dinner.  

Next time get a nice fatty piece of corned beef.  Cover it in cracked black pepper and coriander before the smoke.......VIOLA!  Pastrami. 

For more delightful culinary tips such as this listen to my podcast Tibs‘s Threads Suck. Might as Well Cook found on iHeart Radio or wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I picked up this 15 pound brisket at Sam's for 3.98$ a pound.  It's in the fridge now getting a cold brine till tonight.  it's gonna go on the pellet grill (competition blend) till an internal temp of 170 or so.  Then its gonna get wrapped in peach paper with a splash of bourbon till an internal of 195.  Gonna finish it by  wrapping in a towel and putting in a cooler for an hour. 

Does she also live in a van, down by the river? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

You picked your nose, maybe. Too stupid to have an opinion on the topic? 

47 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Next time get a nice fatty piece of corned beef.  Cover it in cracked black pepper and coriander before the smoke.......VIOLA!  Pastrami. 

For more delightful culinary tips such as this listen to my podcast Tibs‘s Threads Suck. Might as Well Cook found on iHeart Radio or wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts 

What do you recommend for smoking things like bacon or sausage?

I mean smoker wise

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

You may want to target 200-205 but it really matters when tender, not the temp. 

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I mean smoker wise

I’ve not smoked bacon or sausages. I cure those. I just smoke large cuts.  I need a better smoker for sausages/bacon. Even ribs in my smaller egg is a pain.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I’ve not smoked bacon or sausages. I cure those. I just smoke large cuts.  I need a better smoker for sausages/bacon. Even ribs in my smaller egg is a pain.  

Was considering an electric box for convenience. Thoughts? Really interested in trying to make my own kielbasa.

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Try the links, the patties tend to fall apart once lit. I wouldn't recommend smoking bacon. The fat tends to flare up when it's lit and you could burn your beard and/or mustache.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

That's what I do, but with the brisket flat. I have a recipe for a 6-day brine, then a rub of the folllowing:

• 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp black peppercorns
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp red chile flakes
  • 1 tbsp allspice berries
  • 1 tbsp whole cloves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground mace
  • 1 small cinnamon stick, crushed
  • 2 bay leaves, broken into pieces

Smoke at 250 on mahogany for 5 hours,  it in foil for for the Texas crutch and raise the smoker to 300 degrees, and get the pastrami to 200 degrees internally before taking it off.

It blows my mind that I can make a pastrami this good.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Was considering an electric box for convenience. Thoughts? Really interested in trying to make my own kielbasa.

I got a Traeger when they were all the rage, and it turned out to be stupid purchase because the older models only smoked. They can never get hot enough to serve as a dual purpose. Ultimately I got a Kamado grill that does everything. Well worth the investment. Home Depot puts the Vision Grill on sale and it's every bit as good as my neighbor's Big Green Egg for half the price.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You picked your nose, maybe. Too stupid to have an opinion on the topic? 

From your Letter To The Editor:

Requiring Mr. Trump’s accountants to comply with the New York subpoena surely would not interfere with the president’s management of the Covid-19 crisis, if he has bothered to manage it at all.

I've noticed a little TDS in this slander piece.

It would appear that Trump is guilty for filing his taxes. You guys surely have him now!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's what I do, but with the brisket flat. I have a recipe for a 6-day brine, then a rub of the folllowing:

• 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp whole cloves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground mace

Smoke at 250 on mahogany for 5 hours,  it in foil for for the Texas crutch and raise the smoker to 300 degrees, and get the pastrami to 200 degrees internally before taking it off.

I got a Traeger when they were all the rage, and it turned out to be stupid purchase because the older models only smoked. They can never get hot enough to serve as a dual purpose. Ultimately I got a Kamado grill that does everything. Well worth the investment. Home Depot puts the Vision Grill on sale and it's every bit as good as my neighbor's Big Green Egg for half the price.

Ultimately, a smoker is all I really want. Have a grill that works fine.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

On Tuesday, the U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear one of the most consequential cases ever considered on executive privilege. Trump v. Vance concerns a subpoena issued by the Manhattan district attorney to President Trump’s accountants demanding the release of tax returns and other financial documents to a grand jury.

What is at stake is no less than the accountability of a president to the rule of law.

Mr. Trump claims that a president has “temporary absolute immunity,” meaning he cannot be criminally investigated while in office. Indeed, in oral argument before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in New York, his lawyers said that if the president were to shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, he could not be investigated or indicted until after he left office.

If the justices endorse this extreme view, they will make it impossible to hold this president, and all future presidents, answerable in courts for their actions.

Mr. Trump’s legal position contradicts clear Supreme Court precedent. In U.S. v. Nixon, a unanimous Supreme Court ordered President Richard Nixon to turn over Oval Office tapes subpoenaed by the Watergate special prosecutor, Archibald Cox. In Clinton v. Jones, a unanimous court held that a sitting president can be forced to testify in response to a subpoena in civil litigation. Taken together, these cases make it clear that the president is not immune from investigation, whether criminal or civil, while he is in office.

Mr. Trump’s claims of absolute immunity are even weaker than the assertions by Presidents Nixon and Bill Clinton. The subpoena was issued by a state, rather than a federal prosecutor. The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution allows states a certain degree of autonomy in investigating and prosecuting crimes. Although grand jury proceedings are secret, Mr. Vance is probably also investigating whether the president’s company, the Trump Organization, falsely accounted for hush-money payments made in the run-up to the 2016 election to two women who claim they had affairs with Mr. Trump. To deny New York the right to exercise its “police powers” over serious financial crimes should give the court’s conservative justices pause.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/supreme-court-trump-executive-privilege.html

How dare Trump be given the exact same power every president before him has been given- it is why we have impeachment. I would ask for an example of a president being charged criminally while president but I already know the response- I am stupid and you do not need to show me.

Why thank you sir.  My butcher does his own pastrami with a similar recipe..

I think I'm gonna try making my own bacon next.  

Any suggestions on that front?

....how long to smoke it Chef?....I have a pellet smoker (electric one for smaller stuff)...........

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not sure. Never used anything other than my egg. Sorry @Gugny  I’m still using it. 

BTW took my own advice. Got a corned beef to make pastrami tomorrow. And a pork loin. Not sure if I’ll smoke or cure the loin. ?

51 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

All I can tell you is done smoke your bacon. Cure it only. Everyone smokes their bacon. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....how long to smoke it Chef?....I have a pellet smoker (electric one for smaller stuff)...........

My recipe goes at 250 degrees for five hours, then double wrap it in foil (Texas Crutch), raise the smoker to 300 and put in another hour or two until internal meat reaches 200 degrees.

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

My my answer to everyone that asks how long. Until it’s done. ?

Depends in many factors. Size of the cut. Temp you smoke it at. But a typical brisket is at least 6 hours at 220. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

My recipe goes at 250 degrees for five hours, then double wrap it in foil (Texas Crutch), raise the smoker to 300 and put in another hour or two until internal meat reaches 200 degrees.

...thanks bro....on my way NOW to get a brisket.....:thumbsup:...sure beats watchin' another can of Sherwin Williams dry for excitement......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks bro....on my way NOW to get a brisket.....:thumbsup:

This is the guy I follow whose recipe kicks ass. The six-day brine is kind of important and not a step you want to skip for this, but I'm sure there are other recipes that don't call for the brine.

I just know that when I cut this pastrami, it's like every great pastrami I grew up eating in NY.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/homemade-pastrami-recipe/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I've done that. Check out the https://www.sausagemaker.com They're on Clinton Street in Buffalo. They have a very thorough selection of equipment, spices, supplies, etc. I've done some business with them for several years. Unfortunately, I see they had to close their Horseheads store after 10 years. It's a good outfit. No complaints from me - except that some of their spice mixes are a bit on the salty side for me.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

• 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp whole cloves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground mace

You maka-my-mouff water! 

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

I've only made bacon once. My son gave me one of these: https://originalkits.com

I don't have a meat slicer, so had to carve it by hand with his not terribly elegant - even when having the bacon slightly icy. Not sure if I'll do it again. 

Pork belly is a whole other thing. Wife is not keen at all on fatty meats - one of the sorrows of my life. She wants the bacon extra-extra crispy, and trims all the fat off everything.

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not sure. Never used anything other than my egg. Sorry @Gugny  I’m still using it. 

BTW took my own advice. Got a corned beef to make pastrami tomorrow. And a pork loin. Not sure if I’ll smoke or cure the loin. ?

All I can tell you is don't smoke your bacon. Cure it only. Everyone smokes their bacon. 

The one time I made it, I split it into two. Used liquid smoke, and the wife liked that better than the plain.

I also used some maple sugar in the brine. 

I make breakfast sausage with the SausageMaker's blended spice. I usually add orange zest and some dark brown sugar to the mix. Easy does it, as that stuff can burn.

I LOVE THREADS LIKE THIS THAT ARE DEDICATED TO COOKING!

• Like (+1) 1

I get most of my curing equipment ingredients from The Sausage Maker. 

I need to load up my curing box. All my charcuterie I made over the holidays is gone. I’ve been so fricken busy lately. I’ll make some cheese too. Made some goat cheese a few weeks ago. Easiest cheese to make! 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

It’s a joke you ***** moron. Did you see the name of the poster I responded to? 

I’m not crass or classless you ***** moron!!  

Post of the day folks. It’s still early but will be hard to top that. 

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m not crass or classless you ***** moron!!  

Post of the day folks. It’s still early but will be hard to top that. 

I am. That post was not. Moron! 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Go look at your tax return. That will cure those hunger pangs. 

It’s heartening to know we can all come together over BBQ and the nonsense that is Bagger Vance!  Good work TBD!

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

It’s heartening to know we can all come together over BBQ and the nonsense that is Bagger Vance!  Good work TBD!

13 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

It’s a joke you ***** moron. Did you see the name of the poster I responded to? 

Well not all of us. 

3 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Thank you! 

Proud of being a jerk. Why?