Bears decline 5th year option on Trubisky

my biggest fear for Allen is a Tribusky/Bortles like path 

Tribusky's numbers are so similar to Allen's in his 2nd year. Bears fans were ecastatic about entering their 3rd year with him just like we are with Allen, and he crashed and burned. 

Bortles went to the AFC champ game and now can't even find a job

• Like (+1) 7

6 hours ago, WMDman said:

Well this is a shocker...

It is a shocker.  It’s not that expensive to keep a QB for a 5th year.  Their declining of the option essentially means that Mitch is finished in Chicago

25 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Tribusky's numbers are so similar to Allen's in his 2nd year. Bears fans were ecastatic about entering their 3rd year with him just like we are with Allen, and he crashed and burned. 

Everyone who hates Allen has cited the Bears and Jags as examples.  I think a big difference though is that the Bills actually upgraded Allen’s weapon in year 3.  Not the case for a Chicago.  

That’s why so much is riding on the 2020 season.  It could be the year the excuses for Allen stop.

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He had his 15 minutes of fame in his 2nd season but it looks like he’ll be another guy who was crowned a franchise QB too early. 

Also, Foles is going to eclipse Josh McCown for being the ultimate journeyman.

I'd dub Fitzpatrick ultimate back up myself. 

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Foles is gonna have to screw the pooch to not be the starter, jmo. 

Floes is gonna screw the pooch regardless. He’s a career back up he’s not a starter

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Bortles got to the afc championship game cause of that defense. Trubisky can be solid at times but is inconsistent. I highly doubt Allen goes down that road.

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Fitz is 37 and is on team 8, Foles is 31 and on team 6. I like Foles’ chances to surpass Fitz.

The catch might be that Foles--who doesn't seem to relish the daily competition and locker room camaraderie, like one Ryan Fitzpatrick is known to do--had already considered walking away from football before going to Philly, and I'm guessing his professional fulfillment under HC Marrone was...lacking. 

I could see him being done with the game sooner rather than later. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Floes is gonna screw the pooch regardless. He’s a career back up he’s not a starter

Bortles got to the afc championship game cause of that defense. Trubisky can be solid at times but is inconsistent. I highly doubt Allen goes down that road.

Foles, it is true can’t maintain output for more than a few games in a row. But he will likely still start for them. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's how I've always perceived McMahon.  So I'm not sure I would agree with the other guys statement that the Bears have NEVER had a real quarterback.  

McMahon’s job that year was not to lose.  He had a couple of decent years as a game manager.  He drew attention to himself by building a colorful brand and as a result he was overrated by some.  He was not a good QB.  He was replacement-level (and was quickly replaced).

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They would probably decline his 4th year if they could. The guy sucks

Allen literally just had almost the same exact second season as Mitch.  

this is also why draft experts are dumb.  I wasn’t a Trubisky fan but what is really hurting him is how good the other qbs are.  And all we heard was how weak the 2017 class was and how superior the 2018 group was.  Well, 2017 >>> 2018.draft “experts”

10 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...

The Trubisky over Mahomes or Watson decision is going to sting in Chicago for a long, long while I'm guessing...?

Watching the Bulls documentary, it’s like the exact opposite move that landed them Jordan (I ball for real: y'all cats is Sam Bowie
And with the third pick, I made the earth sick

M.J., him Jay, fade-away, perfect)

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Fitz is 37 and is on team 8, Foles is 31 and on team 6. I like Foles’ chances to surpass Fitz.

Even if he surpasses Fitz in number of teams played for, which is no guarantee (7 or 8 teams seems more likely) he won't come close to matching Fitz in games started and career passing yards. 

13 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

how about ignore the numbers and watch both play....they are not similar at all

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It is a shocker.  It’s not that expensive to keep a QB for a 5th year.  Their declining of the option essentially means that Mitch is finished in Chicago

Everyone who hates Allen has cited the Bears and Jags as examples.  I think a big difference though is that the Bills actually upgraded Allen’s weapon in year 3.  Not the case for a Chicago.  

That’s why so much is riding on the 2020 season.  It could be the year the excuses for Allen stop.

Aslo, the Bears defense was head and shoulders above all other teams in takeaways and defensive points scored in 2018. Once those statistics fell back to the mean it made it much harder on Mitch and the offense. 

Bills had a good defense last year but they did not dominate the league in takeaways and defensive TD's. A significant decline in those stats is much less likely for the Bills which means Allen and the offense will not have to make up for as much as Mitch and the Bears offense had to try to make up for last year.

12 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...

The Trubisky over Mahomes or Watson decision is going to sting in Chicago for a long, long while I'm guessing...?

It definitely stings, but I like the fit with Foles. Getting a vet familiar who excelled in that system in the past is a great move. Their defense is pretty good so I actually think they could have a nice year. The whole Trubisky thing sucks, but they just have to try to find another guy in the draft and Foles gives them some options.

13 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Passing numbers are very similar with Allen having a slim edge in efficiency.

But both are supposed to bring a big value to the game with their legs and Mitch fell off a cliff in that regard in 2019. Their rushing totals and efficiency from 2019 are not close. Allen ran circles around Mitch after running circles around him in 2018. 

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think Trubisky is done for good but he’s done in Chicago. He was really raw coming out of college and things just seemed to get off on the wrong foot from the beginning. He was booed at the Bulls game the night after he was drafted.

When a team gives up on a QB they drafted in the first round, that QB is finished as a starter.  Teams simply won't give him a real shot.  Minnesota  gave up on Bridgewater because his severe knee injury appeared to very likely have ended his career, so he's a very special case.  

19 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Unfortunately, if Trubisky was there at 10

I think we would have taken him. I think he was the guy McDermott liked and when he was taken, he punted on quarterback. They worked him out a bunch of times and even had Terry Pegula fly down to chapel hill to meet him. I think Mitch was their guy. So the negative posts quota would have remained the same, if not worse. 

I suspect that Trubisky vs Watson was likely the reason that Whaley was fired.  The Bills didn't intend to fire Whaley early on ... or they would have done so when they cleaned house after Ryan rather than leave Whaley as a lame duck.  The Bills ran FA much as they always did, too.  The early FA signees, Poyer and Hyde, were typical Whaley guys -- talented players for a reasonable price who fit the HC's scheme well.  They were significantly better than any of the veterans the Bills brought in after the draft and through 2018, so I'm thinking it was while creating the draft board that Whaley ran afoul of one or both of Brandon and Pegula.   I don't think that McDermott, as a newly hired defensive minded  HC would have had the clout to get Brandon's pal fired.

13 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don't think that "it could be the year the excuses for Allen stop".  I think that Beane has moved  to prevent excuses even being raised.  Keep in mind that the Bills very quietly added several more FA and UDFA OLers to their roster during FA and since the draft.  That suggests that they're still looking to upgrade the OL if only from a depth standpoint.   It's Allen year to step up big.

Edited by SoTier

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Aslo, the Bears defense was head and shoulders above all other teams in takeaways and defensive points scored in 2018. Once those statistics fell back to the mean it made it much harder on Mitch and the offense. 

Bills had a good defense last year but they did not dominate the league in takeaways and defensive TD's. A significant decline in those stats is much less likely for the Bills which means Allen and the offense will not have to make up for as much as Mitch and the Bears offense had to try to make up for last year.

That is a great point and outside of Lorenzo Alexander’s departure, you might be able to argue that the defense is actually better than last season.    Plus, I think it’s reasonable to think that the number of takeaways on defense might increase and the number of turnovers on offense could decrease (if Josh limits bums fumbles).

40 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Passing numbers are very similar with Allen having a slim edge in efficiency.

But both are supposed to bring a big value to the game with their legs and Mitch fell off a cliff in that regard in 2019. Their rushing totals and efficiency from 2019 are not close. Allen ran circles around Mitch after running circles around him in 2018. 

Again the difference is that Mitch’s offensive skill players got worse.  Josh’s are better.  Doesn’t guarantee a different outcome but there is a difference 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

When a team gives up on a QB they drafted in the first round, that QB is finished as a starter.  Teams simply won't give him a real shot.  Minnesota  gave up on Bridgewater because his severe knee injury appeared to very likely have ended his career, so he's a very special case.  

I suspect that Trubisky vs Watson was likely the reason that Whaley was fired.  The Bills didn't intend to fire Whaley early on ... or they would have done so when they cleaned house after Ryan rather than leave Whaley as a lame duck.  The Bills ran FA much as they always did, too.  The early FA signees, Poyer and Hyde, were typical Whaley guys -- talented players for a reasonable price who fit the HC's scheme well.  They were significantly better than the any of the veterans the Bills brought in after the draft and through 2018, so I'm thinking it was while creating the draft board that Whaley ran afoul of one or both of Brandon and Pegula.   I don't think that McDermott, as a newly hired defensive minded  HC would have had the clout to get Brandon's pal fired.

I don't think that "it could be the year the excuses for Allen stop".  I think that Beane has moved  to prevent excuses even being raised.  Keep in mind that the Bills very quietly added several more FA and UDFA OLers to their roster during FA and since the draft.  That suggests that they're still looking to upgrade the OL if only from a depth standpoint.   It's Allen year to step up big.

But let’s say he takes a Trubisky-like slide.  I think the Bills bring in a veteran QB like Andy Dalton to possibly take the reigns.  I think he still gets a 5th year but a bad season, puts a major major question mark on Josh as the team’s future QB

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

This fear is legitimate, and the Bortles/Trubisky path is a real possibility.

Anyone who doesn’t admit that this is at least POSSIBLE is, in my estimation, not being honest with themselves.

• Like (+1) 2