NFL: "We Plan to Start on Time" - 17-Week Schedules to Be Released Thursday, 8pm ET on NFL Network

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

My spouse and I both teach some classes to two different large universities in addition to our regular jobs and though the are planning for a full fall semester, they are also planning for 100% remote instruction and several ideas in between those two extremes. 

See, that's the thing. Most leaders lack the strength to admit the obvious: that we will not return to business as usual by the fall. And I understand why competition pressures them into advertising optimistic plans for the near future. The NFL won't walk away from revenue until it's absolutely forced to.

My college's president (I'm full-time faculty) hasn't really weighed in one way or the other. It's a bind, I get it. But it's a failure of imagination and leadership to keep pushing for a somewhat unlikely and definitely irresponsible outcome. We currently lack the testing/tracking infrastructure to fully reopen schools and any large public gatherings, like sporting events (and concerts, etc.) any time soon. So the brave and ethical thing to do is to openly plan for this extended disruption in innovative ways. But the market might punish companies who publicly announce such continued restrictions earlier than their competitors. Colleges who lay out plans for exclusively hybrid and/or online curricula and reduced resident density fear losing enrollment to other schools who don't, for example. 

I think an unchanged 17-week NFL schedule is unrealistic, and maybe irresponsible. There must be creative ways to adapt and uncover temporary opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All I'm doing is listening to the guy people told me to listen to. I don't think Fauci is lying to us, why would he?

Fauci is a doctor/scientist and has advised presidents of every party during every major public health crisis in the US since HIV. He is human, he can be wrong but he is most assuredly an honest man with no political dog in the hunt. The attacks on him are simply a case of: don't like the news, blame the messenger. He said this was going to be bad and with over a million cases and nearly 70,000 dead, I'd say its been pretty damn bad. 

Also, he is Italian so I have to believe him, capisce?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Exactly. What's wrong with postponing the start of the season?

I am not trying to be obtuse..but explain to me the benefits of delaying the start of the season? I have to be missing something, and I want to understand what that is. Thank you in advance.

And to be clear, i assume by delay the start you mean start up in Mid to late October?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not trying to be obtuse..but explain to me the benefits of delaying the start of the season? I have to be missing something, and I want to understand what that is. Thank you in advance.

And to be clear, i assume by delay the start you mean start up in Mid to late October?

I want as many games as possible with fans. Most likely there will be no fans at games until 2021.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I want as many games as possible with fans. Most likely there will be no fans at games until 2021.

again, not trying to be a knucklehead, but you stated "whats wrong with postponing the start of the season" . Suspending to 2021 makes more logical sense to me than starting in October, right when flu season is about to kick in .

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

again, not trying to be a knucklehead, but you stated "whats wrong with postponing the start of the season" . Suspending to 2021 makes more logical sense to me than starting in October, right when flu season is about to kick in .

Well I said December so we see how it responds this flu season. October is the rumored contingency plan. NBA is rumored to be starting in December. It makes the most sense.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

How much are tickets going to cost in 2037 when half the fans have been out of work for 17 years?

We will all be paying in pennies if it last more than 5 years. At least small businesses  know where their loyalties lye with all these banks. 

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No fans will ruin it for me.. just cancel 2020 season if that’s the case 

There are lots of other channels on TV. Feel free to use your remote. I hear that Lifetime has some really nice daytime soaps to choose from. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No fans will ruin it for me.. just cancel 2020 season if that’s the case 

They will play without fans if they have to. The NFL brings in 15-16 billion a year and most of that is thru TV. The ratings which are extremely high in normal times would be that much higher if fans can't attend. With the Bills poised to have a strong season I would be disappointed if this season got cancelled.