Rd 5, Pick 167: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

49 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fields didn't have to leave the conference cus he couldn't beat out fromm

They tried playing the long game with him and sitting him a year and it backfired

Nobody alive could tell me they'd rather have Fromm then fields. It was a mistake 

Entrenched college starter's don't lose their jobs. You can lose it to injury, Eason, or playing bad. Even Tua didn't start his whole freshmen season till they were losing in the championship and Hurts did nothing

But you don't lose it after going to the national championship like fromm. He wasn't and isn't a better QB than Fields, he was a captain QB

Actually Fields probably would have stayed if they did sit him that year but the coaching staff thought it would be a good idea to bring him in to run 1-2 plays to hand the ball off. You are correct though Fromm was not better than Fields. However, not to take anything from Fromm he was good but he was just never as talented as Fields. 

3 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Actually Fields probably would have stayed if they did sit him that year but the coaching staff thought it would be a good idea to bring him in to run 1-2 plays to hand the ball off. You are correct though Fromm was not better than Fields. However, not to take anything from Fromm he was good but he was just never as talented as Fields. 

Well they couldn't RS fields because that stupid 3 plays a game and it backfired

If they RS him they have a chance

At best Fromm could be a serviceable back up. Anyone who thinks he can be a franchise QB is beyond optimistic. A serviceable starter is a huge stretch imho. Stop gap guy and back up QB isn't bad for a 5th round pick. His arm strength is beyond poor. The combine exposed that. He can't overcome that big of a deficit in the NFL. Super cerebral guy who may squeak a win or 2 out is fine with me. I like the pick because we have nothing to lose. Just my 2 cents

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

He's the insurance policy.  I don't care that he went in the 5th.  He was never meant to drop to the 5th.   We know this much because our GM stated it clearly. 

Hasselbeck, Gannon, Brunell, Bulger, Johnson, yea late rounders are more than capable, especially when they dropped in the draft, they fit your system, and you have no real answer if your current Qb flounders. 

Fromm will be on the team and most likely 2 by the start of the season. 

Yes, I believe that Fromm could be a starter.  He’s smart and a winner.  I’d put him in same category as Staubach, Montana, and Daddy Manning.  He might not be a freak athlete like Josh, but Cam wasn’t  winner.  I hope Josh is.  It’s all about matching a skill set with a system.  See Montana and Brady.  Go Bills!!

On 4/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Back2Buff said:

Fromm is way better than Peterman.  Peterman in the SEC wouldn't even start.

Fromm processes information at a ridiculous rate.  Peterman was literally throwing the ball into the CB or Safety hands.

Fromm reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He knows where to put the ball, but sometimes you are scratching your head with the accuracy on the throw.

He didn't fare too well in the last 5 games of his career at Georgia having a sub 49% completion percentage in all of them. That's about as bad as it gets. Only time will tell and from what I've seen of him I would definitely say Fitzy has the stronger arm of the two. Fact is, aside from Brady & Brees, there aren't any other QBs you can point to that have below average arm strength and still exceed in today's game and the biggest reason they can do it is because of all their NFL experience. On top of that the NFL is going in another direction at the QB position, where QBs are duel threats, beating you with their arm and legs. Pocket passers are becoming a thing of the past & I believe once Brady, Brees & Rivers retire the transformation will be nearly complete.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Agree. 

I did the same and came away unimpressed.

Barkley is way better than Fromm. Not even close. 

Yeah, unfortunately it’s an uninspired pick...I see him being signed to the practice squad...and even after Barkley’s contract expires next year, we should still bring in another vet QB to compete for the backup job...championship teams always have solid backups...?

Edited by JaCrispy

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Does anyone think the Bills will carry 3 QB’s this year?

I just don't see how the numbers would work.

I'm interested if they will expand roster this year due to not having a rookie minicamp.  You should be allowed to have rookies on roster that don't count towards the 53 man roster.

• Like (+1) 1