Texans sign Laremy Tunsil to huge extension

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

lmao Dawkins isn't anywhere near as good as Tunsil 

I mean Tunsil had double the penalties Dawkins did last year, Houston's line gave up almost a sack and a half more than Buffalo last year, while averaging less yards a game rushing...but Tunsil was drafted before Dawkins so you're probably right.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

This could have a huge impact on the draft.  I think it's good to find out today rather than after the draft.  At least Beane knows the market has blown up.  We may end up drafting a guy and grooming him, and trading Dawkins next year.  Hell, we went through this with Jason Peters, but he pretty much forced our hands.  We signed him after the draft, developed him, and he moved on.

Dawkins seems like a good dude, though. I think he likes being on our team.  

Perhaps the rest of the league will recognize the Tunsil deal as an insane aberration.

if the thought is top qbs around 40m per within a year or so is a LT at 22 really an insane aberration for long?

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wish I could say he wont get that much money, but he isn't far off from the player Tunsil is.   If Tunsil got 22 million a year, Dawkins could easily get 21.5

No clue why the Texans thought they needed to add 5.5 million to the biggest LT contract already in the NFL.   Really screwed a lot of other teams by setting the market that high.

Because...Texans? ? 

11 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The money is insane- how do you make a line work with one guy who makes that? 

it’s a big jump from the last guy to be tops but it’s still like 2/3 of what qbs are making and in line with top pass rushers. 

if considering LT the elite position it long was, it’s not that far out of line with some benchmarks you’d expect around a roster despite being likely a bigger jump than expected in his own position group.

18 hours ago, Doc said:

All but $8M guaranteed?  Good luck with that.

I'll bet Tunsil threatened to hold out.  BOB is coaching for his job this year and that would have killed it.

You realise your talking about BOB here, he may be coaching for his job but he isn't doing anything based on trying to save his job. He's just not very good at his job does what he wants......

18 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Wish I could say he wont get that much money, but he isn't far off from the player Tunsil is.   If Tunsil got 22 million a year, Dawkins could easily get 21.5

No clue why the Texans thought they needed to add 5.5 million to the biggest LT contract already in the NFL.   Really screwed a lot of other teams by setting the market that high.

Its post the new CBA. It looks like its being assumed the salary cap will jump massively when the percentage going to players changes

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Its post the new CBA. It looks like its being assumed the salary cap will jump massively when the percentage going to players changes

It goes from 47% of revenue to 48%.  Max of 48.8% if TV contract value rises by 120%.  It's some, but not massive.

Best part is that Tunsil forced this awful deal on BOB without an agent.  Totally played him twice (no extension when signed, crazy guarantees for a LT).

I don't see Dawkins getting 21.5 million by this organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

Damn It, Bob!!!

What about Bob ?

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

You realise your talking about BOB here, he may be coaching for his job but he isn't doing anything based on trying to save his job. He's just not very good at his job does what he wants......

What will he pay Watson? $50 mil?

20 hours ago, Doc said:

All but $8M guaranteed?  Good luck with that.

I'll bet Tunsil threatened to hold out.  BOB is coaching for his job this year and that would have killed it.

Well, technically would not have been a holdout, just that he would not sign tag

20 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

3 years is an extremely short term contract for a 25 year old tackle. I'm curious how this will effect the overall market as most players sign for longer term and more overall money, but a lower AAV. 

New way contracts for the good players are being structured. Whats happening is the players started to understand the 5 year deals were for the most part 3 year deals, with the last two being  really being club options. And they got massive signing bonuses in lieu of the last two years being guaranteed..so i was never one to complain when they would get cut and people would whine it was not fair..players had to honor contract, but not clubs. Hog wash, everyone understood the structure and why it was . Now i am talking 2nd contracts, not rookie deals. Management was happy with that arrangement, as were agents..deals looked bigger!

But players have gotten smarter, and it really was Sammy a couple years back started the trend. Take a 3 year deal, most of it guaranteed, much smaller signing bonus, get another crack at the apple with a big pay day while you are still under 30. Smart for the players. All this trend has really done is knock out the club option.