Texans sign Laremy Tunsil to huge extension

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

All but $8M guaranteed?  Good luck with that.

I'll bet Tunsil threatened to hold out.  BOB is coaching for his job this year and that would have killed it.

This is one reason being head coach AND being GM is a bad idea. They should have different roles and objectives to do this properly. 

Edited by Augie

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is one reason being head coach AND being GM is a bad idea. They should have different roles and objectives to do this properly. 

As a general rule, I couldn't argue, but Belichick seems to be good enough at it.

Mind you, he never would have dished out 2 1sts without having a deal in place first.

He might even have cut him rather than pay him that much, tbh.

On a side note, not only has Tunsil done remarkably well for himself without an agent, he also gets to keep all the money without paying a shark. ;)

23 minutes ago, Buddo said:

As a general rule, I couldn't argue, but Belichick seems to be good enough at it.

Mind you, he never would have dished out 2 1sts without having a deal in place first.

He might even have cut him rather than pay him that much, tbh.

On a side note, not only has Tunsil done remarkably well for himself without an agent, he also gets to keep all the money without paying a shark. ;)

Belichick doesn’t ever have to worry about losing his job. Not the case in Houston, or almost anywhere else. Having said that, I can’t really say I love Belichick the GM. He doesn’t draft particularly well. You can’t argue with his success, but I think more of that comes from being a brilliant coach (and of course a cheater), than being a good GM. 

I think there can be an inherent conflict if you play both roles. The coach in you can reach for players trying to keep their job, while the GM should have longer term roster building and cap management as primary objectives. It’s hard to wear both hats, IMO.  

P.S. - I didn’t realize Tunsil didn’t have an agent. I guess he’s not too baked, or at least less baked than the Texans BOB. And you’re right, Belichick NEVER would have painted himself into that corner. This was just dumb all the way around, as I see it. 

Edited by Augie