Tre White - Best in the League?

So, I was reading in the Dawkins/Milano thread about how Tre might be paid the highest in the league once we get to his contract negotiations. That started me thinking, "Is Tre the best in the League to get that kind of money?" I think that Tre is very good, but after his performance against Hopkins in the playoff game, I'm starting to wonder just a little bit.

Here are my two thoughts on that: 1. I think that Hopkins is damn good and that no corner is going to shut him down the entire game. 2. All players can have bad games and Tre was a little off in that game.

These are my thoughts. What y'all think? I agree with the poster in the Dawkins/Milano thread that I'm tired of seeing talented corners come here only to leave and get paid big bucks. But, is Tre worth the green?

Lastly, I think Tre REALLY likes playing here and has an awesome attitude about the Bills and the city. Plus, he could also play for the Sabres!

He may be in the conversation, but that kind of conversation is filled with subjectivity.  The Bills are looking for certain qualities in their cornerbacks, which are a little different from what Bill Belichick is looking for because the defense is different.  It's not unreasonable that Tre could be the highest paid CB at some point, but that has as much to do with the timing of when his rookie deal is up as it does with the question of him being the best CB.  Of one thing you can be sure.  If he is the highest paid CB when he signs his deal, that will only last until the next elite CB signs his deal.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

We got our own Bo Jackson. Just wait til Tre hits the Ice. You think if we put a fridge in his locker we can get him to stay? The Houston game was a team loss even though JA had a lot of ugly in the second half. Pay the man what he wants. He is awesome and entertaining. 85 mil for 5 years? 

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Best zone CB.   Not sure about man-to-man CB...

And this is where I truly question his value in this scheme.

Remember McD also had Norman who was shut down in Carolina, and they let him walk cause they didn't value him at the money he was seeking.

Tre is great, and has great ball skills. With that said, I wonder if Beane and McDermott do not see his value as high as others here do, and that they may eventually let him go.

Just something I've thought about...

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Good zone CB, but is too susceptible in getting beat during man to man coverage.  I don't think that is worth elite money.  Put more money and resources into the d-line that will get after the QB in a more consistent manner, then you won't need to overpay a DB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. He is top 3 in the league. He is totally worth the money.

For sure (still would have taken Mahomes/ Watson ?).  But for all the salary cap is so great nerds, it’s about to shrink real fast.  Kinda happens when players become good and get a second contract.  

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Fair point as well.  McDermott is a great secondary coach (it’s what he played in college) and has a very good system for d backs. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good zone CB, but is too susceptible in getting beat during man to man coverage.  I don't think that is worth elite money.  Put more money and resources into the d-line that will get after the QB in a more consistent manner, then you won't need to overpay a DB.

You might be the one person on the planet I see that consistently claims white isn’t in the elite tier. Awful take IMO( and everyone else’s opinion), but I guess I commend you for the consistency 

not only did the guy get recognized as a freaking 1st team all pro, he sealed or basically won us 3 games last year on his plays alone..... but, ya know..... that one game against Hopkins when he gave up 70 yds. Lol. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

You might be the one person on the planet I see that consistently claims white isn’t in the elite tier. Awful take IMO( and everyone else’s opinion), but I guess I commend you for the consistency 

I'm not here for the group think, but to offer my honest/humble opinion.  You may or may not like it, which is fine either way.  BTW, I'm not the only poster with this position, just they are in the minority.

• Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not here for the group think, but to offer my honest/humble opinion.  You may or may not like it, which is fine either way.  BTW, I'm not the only poster with this position, just they are in the minority.

right. You and those 2 other people certainly must be onto something here that the rest of the football world has missed. 

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t know if he is the definitive answer to “who’s the best?”, but I’m certain that he’s be in the discussion.

And to add to this. Getting these huge all time biggest sort of contracts doesn’t even have to do with if you are the best at your position. One of the best? Probably. But the cap is trending upward. Each year the next big FA at his position is probably gonna be the highest ever paid there. It’s just how the cycle is working. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Ahhh....the 2018 Kansas City Chiefs model.  Get after the QB in which they lead the league in sacks that year with 52 but since they didn't have the talent in the secondary....they had 2nd worst pass defense.  So much so is that they made their secondary a focus in the offseason....then had a very good defense.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article237864574.html

On a defense in need of an offseason shakeup, the secondary encountered the most significant makeover, with three newcomers in the five most prominent spots. But even as the description of last year’s underwhelming unit has shadowed their every move, the personnel overhaul prompted a production overhaul.

33 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The thing is, you're basically saying Tre is an average corner.  "Good" in zone but "susceptible" in man.  With a weakness that glaring, he would have been attacked a lot more and wouldn't have given up ZERO TD's.  But somehow NFL Offensive coordinators couldn't figure out how to exploit it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is among the best, what they pay him? Frankly I don’t care,  just keep him on the team. Beane is a clever guy, he will structure the deal so that both parties win. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

We got our own Bo Jackson. Just wait til Tre hits the Ice. You think if we put a fridge in his locker we can get him to stay? The Houston game was a team loss even though JA had a lot of ugly in the second half. Pay the man what he wants. He is awesome and entertaining. 85 mil for 5 years? 

85 for 5 years and I’m drafting a CB. He is a very good zone CB, there are a lot of very good CB’s in the NFL. Our HC and DC specialize in coaching DB talent, taking solid CB and making them good ones.  I have never seen White listed as a top 10 CB in any of the lists that I have looked at. I also think the defense that we run and having two very good safeties helps White out a lot. 

The "Tre sometimes gets beaten in man" crowd are right. Sometimes he does. But not very often. The only 4 NFL receivers I have genuinely seen come out of a 1:1 battle with Tre White ahead are DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green, Kenny Golladay and Robby Anderson. Two of those likely get HoF consideration at the end of their careers and Golladay and Anderson are fine players in their own right.

I don't think Tre is Josh Norman. The Bills leave him 1:1 plenty and it his ability to survive in those defensive calls that allows them to bring a safety up into the box so often and play a softer zone look on the other side of the field. I think Tre could go to a team that plays more man and still be a top 5 NFL corner.

• Like (+1) 1