Tre White - Best in the League?

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Then give him 5 years $85 mil.

The point is we should be extending him now. Lock up our best player and send a positive message to the locker room that if you perform you'll get taken care of. 

Start negotiating is what I'm saying. 

I think it’s extremely likely that we’ve already tried to negotiate with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a fair question. Now Tre is clearly the best at zone coverage. His ability to shut down one side of the field has been the best since Richard Sherman's best years and Josh Norman's 2015 season. However, to be fully effective, he needs the CB2 to cover the other side of the field.

That being said, there are other CBs (the Revis type) out there who are better than Tre at man coverage (guys like Gilmore and Ramsey). You can put those guys on an island and have them take on the best WR head on. But to be effective, they need CB2 to handle WR2 etc.

Tre is perfect for McD's scheme. But you cant pay top dollar for a scheme specific guy - even if you are like Buffalo with a secure coaching situation and defensive scheme - since it will affect the trade value in the future - say, if Bills want to move on from Tre 3 years from now. That is why OP's question has merit.

The nice thing about Gilmore and Tre is that they are not bunnies when it comes to the other coverage. In other words, Gilmore and Tre are more than adequate even in zone and man coverage, respectively - even though they are not among the league best. That is why these two players deserve top CB dollars. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

May I ask the question is IF CBs are worth that kind of money to a team? Is there any evidence the best CB helps a team win that much? A thanks to any poster who might know.

I don't have any solid evidence, just a gut feeling about it.

If I had to pay 2 spots on my DEF to have 1 Elite player, it would be Defensive End and Cornerback.

If you can use 1 player to take away an opposing teams best receiving threat and make them beat you with their 2,3,4th options, I think that puts your defense in a positive position to make plays and stop the offense.  You can also be more creative in your other coverages if you can trust that CB to hold that WR1 down.  IMO, that almost give you 'an extra man' on the field for defending the rest of the offensive team.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Interesting to see how the board views White if contract negotiations are difficult.  That's a huge if at this point, but the board turned against Clements when he wanted a big contract.  Difference is now that Buffalo has the Pegula dollars and isn't constrained by the Ralph/Littman penny-pinching.

Second, how would the Bills locker room view not signing someone like White? He's the first marquee player to be up for contract extension (apologies to Dawkins and Milano - they're not All-Pro caliber) and Buffalo has spent heavily on UFAs.  If he's not signed, it sends a message that McBeane's process talk is just that and they'll reward outside guys as opposed to home-grown.

There's a lot we still don't know about McBeane and their approach to negotiating contracts.  Many of the UFA deals are ones they can get out of after 1-2 seasons, but a Tre White deal likely is a 4-5 year extension.   I would think he'a  cornerstone player despite playing in a system where he gets help.  

Those 80 to 100 mil contacts should be for QB’s, DE, LT and middle LB’s that can blitz, cover and tackle on a elite level. 80 mil for a zone CB is not for me. If his asking price gets crazy I hope we trade him for a 1st rd pick. 

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

He gave up some big plays vs Houston. Would like to see that cleaned up before we have this discussion 

On one hand I want to post the easy response to this absolute layup, but on the other hand why should I need to?

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This has been beaten pretty good over several threads.

So let's spice it up a little:  would you rather have McCaffrey at 16M a year or Tre White at 16M a year.  Can't have both.

'

Discuss.....

White. Once. Twice. And three times.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

White. Once. Twice. And three times.

I knew you were going there!

You can have him.  I would pay all day for a guy who scores points over a guy who may contribute overall to a side preventing more points being scored.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I knew you were going there!

You can have him.  I would pay all day for a guy who scores points over a guy who may contribute overall to a side preventing more points being scored.  

I think McCaffrey is a special player. But Tre is elite at a premium position. Always going there.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McCaffrey is a special player. But Tre is elite at a premium position. Always going there.

It's easier to find an above average CB than a unique Offensive weapon.  Bills need points scored.  McC comes in and is the most potent weapon on the roster immediately.  Tre maintains the status quo.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes they were but they were also the 2nd worse pass defense in the league even though they lead the league in sacks.  

Why was that?  Why did they focus on the secondary in the offseason and not the run defense?  This past year they were 26th against the run but 8th against the pass.

I guess the 49ers model works and the Chiefs doesn't.

Yes putting pressure on the QB helps a DB just like not having WR running wide open helps the pass rush....especially if you have QB's that get the ball out quick.

Stephon Gilmore won the NFL defensive player of the year and he does get burned because you can't completely shut everyone down 100% of the time.

I just think it's pretty wild how a corner who didn't give up a single passing TD wasn't good enough for you.  I'm not making the argument he's the absolute best in the league but to say he's "above average", like at the same level as like an Adoree Jackson....it's really strange.  

I have nothing against Tre, I think he's a fine player.  To me, it seems like he struggles in man coverage in open areas; he may do better in shorter fields with man coverage, which could help explain the no TD stat.  I just wouldn't pay him elite money, or really any other DB; the league approach to the game makes playing the DB positions harder than it should be.  I'm also of the mindset that it is better to put more resources in the front seven rather than the backfield since getting to the QB and stopping the run is a better approach to defense.  I suspect McD is the opposite, he seems to be more DB focused; he doesn't ignore the line, but rather views coverage as his preferred defensive approach as evidenced in the 3rd and 18 vs Texans.  I'm aware there were execution issues, but if he went after Watson I bet they never get the first down and Buffalo wins the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

It's easier to find an above average CB than a unique Offensive weapon.  Bills need points scored.  McC comes in and is the most potent weapon on the roster immediately.  Tre maintains the status quo.

Tre is waaaaaaay more than above average. He is the best player on the team. And by a distance. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. No way I am letting Tre walk. He is the closest the Bills have had to the best at his position in the league since Peters walked. They are the guys you keep. 

Mine was a hypothetical.  If the Bills swapped out the 2, the points for go up significantly more than the points against.  I think there is no question of that.

If your best player is a DB, you are the 2011 Jets.  

As for Peters...the Bills fortunes wouldn't have been much better had he stayed.  It's not an impact position.  Look at Joe Thomas's entire career anchoring a perennially awful O-line on a hopeless team.