SI Article: forget about sports this year

42 minutes ago, krf139 said:

I am so sick of Health Officials being quoted as saying, "we can't do anything without a vaccine."  Of course they are going to say this.  They are like tornado storm chasers in this mess.  We need a balanced view of opening the country and protecting public health.  It's why the Health Experts should have a say, but not make final decisions.  It's why the Economists should have a say, but not make final decisions.  All this information has to be synthesized and leaders need to make reasonable decisions that balance both.  

We don't have leaders at the federal level.  This is about to get really bad. 

Second state of emergency in Japan after trying to open. 

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, somebody isn’t bothering to stay current.

China has already opened up Baseball, Japan Baseball is in Spring Training and South Korea is about to begin play.

Much of the news coming out of China is false.  Their economy tanked due to their actions and they are trying to force it back up. It is no coincidence that most of medical masks on market came from same area as virus started.

9 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Sorry I didn't mean new deal. HIs last year as of right now with the Bills is 2023..Does that move to 2024 if football isn't played in 2020

ahh, ok...nothing has been decided on anything right now so way too soon to tell

Baseball I think is going to try to do something, that’s going to give a very good idea of what chance there is for a season of football. Baseball I read is considering a realigning of divisions for this season and using spring training etc etc. 

If they can run this successfully and players/coaches/trainers don’t get sick it would be a big boost the the nfl being able to have a season. I don’t see anything involving fans in stadiums happening for awhile though. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

i dunno, the market sure has seemed to reacted positively to the news over the last 10 trading days or so..and those guys also saw the poop hitting the fan before the rest of us did. 

I would be willing to bet all NFL teams will be doing some kind of refund if you request it, and still hold your tickets for the 21 season if games go on.

And no, we cannot predict with certainty anything that is going to happen, only a "insert your preferred noun here"would say such a thing. We have thje whole of the world just about looking for theraputics, trying to understand the virus and how it works, and how that plays out no one knows. 

I just mean pessimism like this article. It's certainly far from everyone, but there are random people who seem to be ramping up their "nothing will be normal for 18 months" mantra just now, after the peak, which was lower than even hopeful people had feared a few weeks ago. 

There re will be football this fall - and yes, I am aware that other waves of this virus may happen 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

No one knows nuthin bout nuthin and these doom and gloom articles are nonsense at this point.  It's kinda like running presidential polls in February when the election is in November.

Sports will return and this will pass.  I cannot imagine the rabid NFL fans sitting idly by and not being able to tailgate.  That will not go over well.  

I still remember tailgating in the fall of 2009 amid the H1N1 virus.  People were scared but out and about.  

imagine comparing COVID to H1N1

this virus is 10x more deadlier and about 4x more contagious. no one is going to give a flying ***** about "rabid NFL fans" if we get a 2nd wave around october like everyone is predeciting. 

Fans need to realize the NFL season won't be starting in September this year, or won't be starting until 2021. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

imagine comparing COVID to H1N1

this virus is 10x more deadlier and about 4x more contagious. no one is going to give a flying ***** about "rabid NFL fans" if we get a 2nd wave around october like everyone is predeciting. 

Fans need to realize the NFL season won't be starting in September this year, or won't be starting until 2021. 

Agree on the first part.  Disagree on the 2nd.  Games will be played, but at least without fans.  Players, coaches, assistants, etc. will be tested before games.  There's just way too much money to lose.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Klaus said:

We are operating on so little real data that all of these predictions are just uniformed guesses. 

Lets put it in term this board can understand, it is like your average sports writing giving an opinion on Josh Allen's 2019 performance after not watching a single Bills game last year. Said writer will just regurgitate some narrative they had heard and pass it along as fact. That is what we are seeing even from these experts because no one has enough real data yet.

We need to have two things to understand where we are today:

1) Test a random portion of the population of various cities to see if they currently have the coronavirus.

2) Test a random portion of the population of various cities to see if they have had the cornonavirus (antibody test).

That's pretty much what we need to do in order to restart all activities that are currently suspended.

We need data.

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

Agree on the first part.  Disagree on the 2nd.  Games will be played, but at least without fans.  Players, coaches, assistants, etc. will be tested before games.  There's just way too much money to lose.

That could be a nightmare scenario imo. If this virus is still circulating, a scenario where we test all players and personnel has the potential to go very poorly.  I can envision hundreds of positive tests on asymptomatic players. The season would be a random crap shoot based on the amount of players who would miss two weeks.  

10 hours ago, Greg S said:

What about tennis. No fans just the ump and the two players. Social distancing could work for that as well.

What all the line judges, ball boys/girls, doctors, coaches, replay officials, cleaning crews, maintenance crews, TV  personnel, etc.?

10 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

I believe the MLB has agreed to match the service time that the player earned in the previous season. In return, owners only have to pay a fraction of the salaries. In essence a win win for both sides. Players get to become free agents as expected and owners don't have to pay out full salaries. If that happens, I find it hard to believe the NFLPA will be cool with putting a "freeze" on players contracts. If the NFL does push for that, I would expect multiple holdouts and contract demands. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/mlb-union-reach-deal-on-service-time-other-coronavirus-issues/

That would not be fair to the team, as the Bills would not have Josh Allen on a cheap rookie deal for one year and have less time to evaluate him before offering him an extension. And they would also get one less  year of Trevon Diggs.

What I don't understand is why the various leagues can't operate without attendees. 

Real fans would still watch and they can dub in some noise for the idiots requiring an "atmosphere."

Seems very feasible to do contact tracing on a few thousand athletes and the overwhelming majority of the revenue is TV/viewership.

Edited by LSHMEAB

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And 5G makes Coronavirus.

Don't laugh.  My town has proudly 'banned' 5G.   

The problem is, it will be a slow rollout to return to normal so as to manage future waves of the virus.   On the list of things getting back on track, entertainment like sports and theatre will be last.  Those are the highest risk (huge crowds) and one of the lowest priorities relative to employment.

This Pandemic is no doubt very serious, but at the same time we have to get back to normal at some point. You pick the time, but I will gladly go to the opener in September. At some point we need to let go and say it is what it is. After all, in Nature, only the strong survive. That is after all the whole point of natures viruses.....We think we are above nature, but clearly we are not. 

Edited by thronethinker

2 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

This Pandemic is no doubt very serious, but at the same time we have to get back to normal at some point. You pick the time, but I will gladly go to the opener in September. At some point we need to let go and say it is what it is. After all, in Nature, only the strong survive. That is after all the whole point of natures viruses.....We think we are above nature, but clearly we are not. 

its not about getting "back to normal" 

if we get back to normal too quickly the hospital system in every major metro area will collapse. 

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think it's really more about finding treatments that are effective so that this becomes manageable. 

This isn't going away, but the entire modern way of life isn't going to end because of a virus, either. 

Maybe, but unfortunately they are seeing potential long term, maybe permanent damage outside of just the lungs. This also has the potential to damage T cells kind of like hiv does (though not permanent leading to aids).

It is way, way too early to say that even a super minor case of this is no big deal, let alone a typical "mild" case that knocks you down with a 103+ fever for a week and just the craziness of all the other symptoms...we have no idea if there are long term impacts, though it really is starting to look like there are, amd how much impact those are going to have for the rest of a person's life. 

Plus, it's very much looking like you aren't going to have a lot of antibodies to this if you don't get really sick potentially. That means no herd immunity. Also, could mean if you only have a little bit of antibodies, you could experience Antibody Dependent Enhancement, which is where the antibodies actually make the infection a lot worse (that's why they need to be so careful with the vaccine).

You flat out do not want to catch this if you can avoid it. That said, I understand the awful situation a lot of people are facing where that sounds great, but they can't put food on their family's table without working, or work in an essential role that can't be done remote, or have lost their job because of this...it's crazy, but let's not minimize the potential very significant dangers of this virus that can happen when we look outside of just survived vs dead, and more and more research is showing that this isn't just being careful of the unknown, this is a potentially very damaging virus...even if the death rate comes in sub 1% it could very well cause significant and permanent injury to many many more people (check the line from the second article below about 1 in 5 people and heart damage).

T cells: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0304-7

Long term damage and not just to lungs: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241953691.html

An initial study found that as many as 1 in 5 coronavirus patients who show no respiratory distress suffer cardiac damage, leading to heart failure and even death, Kaiser Health reported.

Initial research suggests that coronavirus can directly infect the heart muscle, attaching to receptors in the lungs that are also found in the heart, according to the outlet.