Any Position the Bills wouldn't take the BPA in Round 2?

BisonMan

30 minutes ago, T master said:

Let's say due to his injury history that for that reason Tua falls to our pick at 54 would you not take a player like him because we have Josh ? 

I'm all in on Josh i love his heart & his love for the Bills & Buffalo, I think that if he continues the way he has he will be our guy at QB for a long time but he has the same type of knocks against him as EJ did coming out but i think Josh can over come his short comings .

But back to my original question would you pass on Tua at 54 ? I'm thinking that if that type of player is there at our pick you take him just like the Bills did with Mcgahee that way if for some reason injury or other wise if something should go wrong they have a really good alternative . 

But i don't see that happening ...

I seriously consider Tua there. I wouldn’t even care if Allen is the guy. You grab Tua, let him heal, coach him up so he can light up preseason and/ the backup role. He’s a guy you could potentially flip for multiple firsts or a top ten pick in 1-2 years. If Allen gets wrecked physically or regresses you can always go with Tua. Granted, if Tua drops to the second round there would be a serious medical problem.... or.... he got caught smuggling kilos. 

Possibly DT. But maybe not 1T. In the 4-3 our depth chart at one of the DT spots is Ed Oliver, Quinton Jefferson, and Harrison Phillips. I doubt that they would keep a fourth tackle in this specific group, and the value of upgrading on Harisson Phillips wouldn't be worth it comparws to having another player. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

No I don’t think there are any outside of QB. Maybe If it’s a Center who couldn’t also play G or a MLB who wasn’t versatile toward another LB role. That’s about it imo. 

Id leave center on the table with Morse's concussion history. Not saying replace him but not passing on one if he's BPA

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

In a different thread, I said I wouldn't be surprised by any pick outside of QB, P, and K.  Reading Buffalo Timmy's post, I'll add FB.  

I agree with BisonMan that the Bills probably feel good about the roster and aren't thinking a lot about positional needs going into the draft.  GMs say "BPA" all the time but in fact balance BPA with need.  But I think Beane truly is looking for the BPA.  

Needless to say, the Bills are more likely to draft good players if they're thinking BPA instead of roster spots they need to fill.  So despite the lack of a pick in the 1st round, I'm looking forward to this draft.   

And when the first round is in progress, I'm going to imagine Roger Goodell saying, "And with the 22nd pick of the 2020 NFL draft, the Bills select Stefon Diggs!"

Agreed with the bolded.  Plus, "BPA" is somewhat misleading IMO.  I think it's pretty rare that when a team comes to pick, there's 1 player on their board who is truly "better" than all other players, at least with any confidence.  If a team is grading players out of 10, the top players available might be three guys at 8.3, then another two at 8.2, then four more at 8.1.  Even if the team is hyper-confident in their ratings, the top 3 all have the same grade, so who's the BPA?

Sometimes there might be 1 guy who's the last first-round grade or whatever, and in that case, yeah, it's BPA.  But I think mostly it's about roughly putting players into tiers.  Last year, Beane talked about the trade-up for Dawson Knox and basically said that he was the last TE they had in a given tier, so that's why they made the move for him.  Then of course they take positional value and roster construction into account - a team desperate at WR might take 2 or 3 in the same draft, but no one's ever taken 5.  Even though statistically, you'd think sooner or later the "BPA" would've been a WR at every pick at some point.

Working this around to the question in the OP, I think that when the Bills are on the clock at #54, there's going to be a "Best Tier Available" player available that fills one of these positions:  Nickel DE, WR, OT, OG, "Big Nickel", or CB, or maaaaybe RB.  So any other position would be a big surprise to me - QB, FB, TE, interior DL, K or P basically.  (Most Cs can play G, and either a 3rd-down DE or a Big Nickel could easily be listed as a LB, and the Big Nickel would more likely be listed as an S.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

disagree on LB.  I could easily see an OLB for long term.  Start special teams and provide depth 

I think they'd look for that later on. 

That type of player can usually be found in rounds 4-5. 

Punter, Kicker will not be happening there. Just about any other position could be in play, depending on value. QB is extremely unlikely, because we don't specifically need one,and you would expect that any graded QB left, will be way below players graded at a plethora of other positions.

Beane likes to stick to his board. Where you could get an 'oddball' selection, is if the player is graded way above anyone else they have on the board.

If they have a few they like at the pick, then the factors that come into play are need, and also any potential 'drop off' at a position.

As an example, there will almost certainly be a WR at the pick that will have a grade on to be picked there. If they have a.n.other position graded similarly, it will probably be the a.n.other position that they pick, due to the fact that the WR class in this draft is so deep.

QB is a no brainer for a non-pick.  If Zach Baun is on the board at #54, the Bills could take him, but I don't see another LB the Bills would jump at.  I honestly don't see them taking an interior offensive lineman or tight end.             

On 4/13/2020 at 11:42 AM, T master said:

Let's say due to his injury history that for that reason Tua falls to our pick at 54 would you not take a player like him because we have Josh ? 

I'm all in on Josh i love his heart & his love for the Bills & Buffalo, I think that if he continues the way he has he will be our guy at QB for a long time but he has the same type of knocks against him as EJ did coming out but i think Josh can over come his short comings .

But back to my original question would you pass on Tua at 54 ? I'm thinking that if that type of player is there at our pick you take him just like the Bills did with Mcgahee that way if for some reason injury or other wise if something should go wrong they have a really good alternative . 

But i don't see that happening ...

There's only one way Tua falls to 54:  His medical reports are so bad that his ever having a career in the NFL is doubtful.  So why would anyone use the team's 1st pick in the draft on a player whose medical reports indicate he may never play?  McGahee was a 1st round pick. 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, DrDare said:

We need a "Dawson Knox" type who can catch

He'll be fine this year.

I think he winds up as a top 10 Tight End. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane drafts for need.

He will draft edge or RB in round two and then say the player was highest on the board.

I cannot understand why RB is considered a "need" for this team.

We need someone who can carry the ball 5-6 times a game.

You look for that on the third day of the draft. 

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He'll be fine this year.

I think he winds up as a top 10 Tight End. 

I cannot understand why RB is considered a "need" for this team.

We need someone who can carry the ball 5-6 times a game.

You look for that on the third day of the draft. 

until Motor gets hurt again then you’re fcked. Need a 2nd quality back via draft or a Hyde like signing. Doesn’t have to be pick 54

6 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I disagree. I don't value the RB position nearly enough to think we desperately need someone a lot better than TJ Yeldon. 

With the resources we've put towards the passing game, this team shouldn't get derailed by losing Singletary to an injury.

If that's the case, it means our pass game is piss poor and we're not going anywhere anyways because the offense is inherently flawed already. 

A veteran or a late round pick with some juice is fine. Load up on the lines with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. 

Edited by jrober38