Any chance Trevon Diggs falls to the Bills?

Lurker

But Diggs’ stock has been pointing down steadily since — he was my 61st-overall selection in January — and this report will only precipitate his fall out of first-round projections entirely. What led to the fall? Failing to test was a big deal. 

Diggs entered Alabama as a wide receiver/cornerback/athlete recruit and didn't find a home in his first season or so before settling into cornerback. Accordingly, athletic ability should have been a high point on his film at corner, but that's not so. Diggs is a smart corner with good instincts who understands his reads, but he's outmatched when transitioning off of press or turning and running with downfield routes.

Positive testing could have indicated that more growth was available for him in the NFL, but he didn't test at the scouting combine, only confirming what we already knew: he has big-time size. The PFF pegs Diggs as a press-heavy corner and I understand why. He was productive in his final season at Alabama but might struggle to deal with WR1s on a weekly basis in the NFL.

Diggs is a late-two grade on my big board. I think he's clearly in the third tier, not second, of cornerbacks in this upcoming draft.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ten-days-out--cornerback-class-as-clouded-as-ever

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would hate spending that high of a pick on a cb with all the needs we have.  I mean it would be a nice story but it’s the NFL not a family reunion. 

What needs do we have?

I’d personally be shocked if we actually drafted 7 guys.  

Outside of RB...CB2 is as big a need as any on this team, which is to say... we’d be ok if we didn’t address it.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

What needs do we have?

I’d personally be shocked if we actually drafted 7 guys.  

Outside of RB...CB2 is as big a need as any on this team, which is to say... we’d be ok if we didn’t address it, but should.  

Pass rusher and receiver with size.  Those are way higher than another corner plus if there is one thing this regime is great at, its finding defensive backs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDare said:

the question is: is it good or bad to have them on the same team?

dont know the psycholgy behind that

In the NBA, the Morris twins were drafted together and we ready to murder people after one of them got traded.  With my brother, it would have been bad for us haha.  

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would hate spending that high of a pick on a cb with all the needs we have.  I mean it would be a nice story but it’s the NFL not a family reunion. 

I don't think we have a lot of "needs."   And rather than reaching for a "need," I really think Beane should go BPA - as he said he would.  When you draft for need, you end up passing on better guys who would have helped your team more in the long run.

If Diggs turns out to be the BPA when the Bills are on the clock, it could be fun to have Stefon's little brother.  And he does sound like a good fit for McD's D.

10 minutes ago, DrDare said:

the question is: is it good or bad to have them on the same team?

dont know the psycholgy behind that

Obviously different cases, but I know that going up against my brother in practice elevated my intensity in basketball/soccer. Can't let your brother beat you. With them being positions that face off regularly, it wouldn't be shocking for there to be a similar effect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pass rusher and receiver with size.  Those are way higher than another corner plus if there is one thing this regime is great at, its finding defensive backs.  

I’d be absolutely fine if we spend a premium pick on WR or EDGE.  

Our Top 3 WRs are really good, but Duke didn’t lock down WR4 last year, Foster is an enigma and McKenzie should be strictly a gadget weapon.  

Hughes and Addison are good, but getting older.  Murphy is decent. Jefferson will be a chess piece moving all over.  I don’t know what we have in Johnson.   So, I’d be fine taking a young pass rusher.  

We definitely need a RB to pair with Singletary, so that likely comes in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th.  

Given how good our top 3 WR’s are and the fact we have decent DE’s means we could certainly address those positions, but don’t need to this year.  CB2 also aligns with that thought process.  

I could certainly also get behind a young, cost controlled talent CB opposite Tre White.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1