Any chance Trevon Diggs falls to the Bills?

Lurker

Ya know what's weird?

When McDermott came in, he had the reputation of being a guy who didn't need top tier cornerbacks in his system for it to succeed. As long as they were smart and well-versed in zone coverage, they had a chance to excel in his scheme. Josh Norman was taken in the 5th round and turned into a Pro Bowler under McDermott's watch. Levi Wallace was undrafted and has performed reasonably well. EJ Gaines has not had a particularly decorated NFL career, but arguably his best performance ever was in McDermott's defense.

With this being case -- McDermott's defense being one that does not need top tier man coverage cornerbacks or supreme athletes at the position in order to thrive -- it would be strange to wind up having a 1st round pick at CB1 and a 2nd round pick at CB2.

Put a different way: With Levi Wallace, Josh Norman, and EJ Gaines already competing at CB2, and knowing how well McDermott seems to be able to garner production from later round picks, do the Bills really need to spend a 2nd round pick on a cornerback? Is that really the best use of our most premium remaining draft asset this year? I know, I know, "BPA no matter what!", I just...so much resources invested in the secondary. I'd rather see a front seven player or an offensive lineman or an offensive playmaker. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7

Levi Wallace did have his rough spots last year, but I think he can be a fine CB2 opposite White.

If not, they signed Norman and Gaines for the short term if Wallace doesn't work out.

The Bills are fine at CB for 2020.

Plus they have a really good slot CB in Taron Johnson (if he ever stays on the field ?) and another really good nickel DB in Neal.

With all that said.........................

if McBeane wanted to draft a CB with their first pick, who are we to argue?

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

What needs do we have?

I’d personally be shocked if we actually drafted 7 guys.  

Outside of RB...CB2 is as big a need as any on this team, which is to say... we’d be ok if we didn’t address it.   

We definitely need a Edge Rusher and probably another OL player.  They do need a C as they will not be able to pay for a 2nd one after Tre's monster deal later this year. CB sounds a good position to invest if he is the best player on the board.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pass rusher and receiver with size.  Those are way higher than another corner plus if there is one thing this regime is great at, its finding defensive backs.  

These really aren’t needs. At all. This isn’t 1990. Aside from a more viable back up QB -which won’t be via the Draft, Punter is our only pressing need. Everything else will be roster fillers with potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think so. The one thing doing a 2 round mock brought home to me is how many corner needy teams there are. I think at least 4 go round one and then at least another 4 in round two before the Bills pick. So do I think Diggs will be in the first 8 corners drafted? Yes. Yes, I do. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The 20- 60 range is never as clear as people make it out to be. He seems like he’ll be hard pressed to last past 40, but he does fall in a group of CB’s that could all move around some after Okudah and Henderson. 

What you pointed out is exactly correct.  Teams with GM's and Head Coaches that are on the hot seat often draft for a specific need regardless if there are better players available at other positions.  It is more pronounced in each successive round.  In addition, once the draft moves past the 15 to 17 players with first round grades/talent, there is less difference between players.  This creates a lot of variation in the way different teams look at any player in this range.  All of this makes predictions of future draft selections beyond the first half of the first round nothing more than a wild guess.  Finally, there is the total incompetence factor.  Some teams are so totally and historically bad in the draft, they introduce a completely unpredictable element into the draft.  All of this is why we will hear once again that a so-called good player fell n the draft.  We shouldn't be surprised; it's inevitable.  Trevon Diggs could very easily fall to the Bills at 54 or he could just as easily be selected much higher.  We'll know for sure in less than two weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

What you pointed out is exactly correct.  Teams with GM's and Head Coaches that are on the hot seat often draft for a specific need regardless if there are better players available at other positions.  It is more pronounced in each successive round.  In addition, once the draft moves past the 15 to 17 players with first round grades/talent, there is less difference between players.  This creates a lot of variation in the way different teams look at any player in this range.  All of this makes predictions of future draft selections beyond the first half of the first round nothing more than a wild guess.  Finally, there is the total incompetence factor.  Some teams are so totally and historically bad in the draft, they introduce a completely unpredictable element into the draft.  All of this is why we will hear once again that a so-called good player fell n the draft.  We shouldn't be surprised; it's inevitable.  Trevon Diggs could very easily fall to the Bills at 54 or he could just as easily be selected much higher.  We'll know for sure in less than two weeks.

All this is correct. When I mock often in the first 20 picks you forgo a team's most obvious need because there is a guy who is just "better" than the guys at their need spot. From around the early 20s on you do that less and I confess when I did my second round mock yesterday (never tried that before) because as you say the differences between the tiers of players are smaller I found myself mocking needs much more. There will still be some teams in round 2 who just have a guy who is sticking out on their board (maybe because he is a perfect fit for their scheme) who isn't really a need position but who they will take. I think about when the Bills picked Ronald Darby. They had Gilmore and McKelvin both coming off excellent seasons in the Schwartz D. There was no pressing "need" at corner but Darby was just such a perfect fit for the Rex Ryan defense and was sticking out on their board and so even though they had specific needs (thinking oline at the time) and there were guys who fitted it (Morse, Marpet, Havenstein and Fisher - who busted and ended up here as a TE - all went around that spot forget exactly the order) they stuck with their board and selected Darby. It was a good pick.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Lurker said:

Most mocks have him going higher, but this piece from Ryan Talbot is intriguing.   What do TSW's hard core draftnics think?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-stefon-diggs-brother-trevon-diggs-could-fall-into-buffalo-bills-lap-on-day-two-report.html

I have a 2nd round grade on him.  So yep there is a chance he will be drafted by us and be right in line with his grade

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

These really aren’t needs. At all. This isn’t 1990. Aside from a more viable back up QB -which won’t be via the Draft, Punter is our only pressing need. Everything else will be roster fillers with potential. 

Wait what??? It seems like you are thorn stuck in the 90s (I mean I was a little kid but it was a completely different league).  Punter is our own only pressing need??? You know this is a passing league right?  Many teams play with 4 receivers and 3 wrs is a base formation.  We have a great trio but they are little people.  We need some size.  Small guys can get taken out easily.  

and along with passing the ball, you have to Stop the pass.  We lost our top 2 sack guys.  We have “high motor, not productive” Murphy and his 4 sacks a year.  We have Hughes who has averaged 5 sacks a year for the last 4 years.  We added Addison but he is at the age where guys fall off quick.  It’s crazy to me that you don’t think these are bigger needs.  I hope the Bills don’t think that way.  You can never ever have enough pass rushers, especially when the ones you have aren’t that good.

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wait what??? It seems like you are thorn stuck in the 90s (I mean I was a little kid but it was a completely different league).  Punter is our own only pressing need??? You know this is a passing league right?  Many teams play with 4 receivers and 3 wrs is a base formation.  We have a great trio but they are little people.  We need some size.  Small guys can get taken out easily.  

and along with passing the ball, you have to Stop the pass.  We lost our top 2 sack guys.  We have “high motor, not productive” Murphy and his 4 sacks a year.  We have Hughes who has averaged 5 sacks a year for the last 4 years.  We added Addison but he is at the age where guys fall off quick.  It’s crazy to me that you don’t think these are bigger needs.  I hope the Bills don’t think that way.  You can never ever have enough pass rushers, especially when the ones you have aren’t that good.

Yeah, no. ?‍♂️

I was referring to era where many teams featured fantastic DEs. It simply isn’t as essential today. Clever blitz packages and stopping the run game provide 45ish sacks a year and Pressure causes unwanted quick releases. We haven't had a premiere DE since #94 was kicked to the curb, because it really isn’t essential. You know our League defensive rankings the last few years, right?

anyway, yes Punter is definitely a need as well as another RB in the Draft. We’ll fill in on other positions as well. Maybe even a DE -just for you. 

But there’ll be no ‘I told ya so’ because you haven’t.

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Ya know what's weird?

When McDermott came in, he had the reputation of being a guy who didn't need top tier cornerbacks in his system for it to succeed. As long as they were smart and well-versed in zone coverage, they had a chance to excel in his scheme. Josh Norman was taken in the 5th round and turned into a Pro Bowler under McDermott's watch. Levi Wallace was undrafted and has performed reasonably well. EJ Gaines has not had a particularly decorated NFL career, but arguably his best performance ever was in McDermott's defense.

With this being case -- McDermott's defense being one that does not need top tier man coverage cornerbacks or supreme athletes at the position in order to thrive -- it would be strange to wind up having a 1st round pick at CB1 and a 2nd round pick at CB2.

Put a different way: With Levi Wallace, Josh Norman, and EJ Gaines already competing at CB2, and knowing how well McDermott seems to be able to garner production from later round picks, do the Bills really need to spend a 2nd round pick on a cornerback? Is that really the best use of our most premium remaining draft asset this year? I know, I know, "BPA no matter what!", I just...so much resources invested in the secondary. I'd rather see a front seven player or an offensive lineman or an offensive playmaker. Maybe it's just me.

No, I feel the same.  I'm hoping Beane and McDermott have a sleeper DB in the 5th or 6th rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, no. ?‍♂️

I was referring to era where many teams featured fantastic DEs. It simply isn’t as essential today. Clever blitz packages and stopping the run game provide 45ish sacks a year and Pressure causes unwanted quick releases. We haven't had a premiere DE since #94 was kicked to the curb, because it really isn’t essential. You know our League defensive rankings the last few years, right?

anyway, yes Punter is definitely a need as well as another RB in the Draft. We’ll fill in on other positions as well. Maybe even a DE -just for you. 

But there’ll be no ‘I told ya so’ because you haven’t.

We had 36 sacks, which tied for 26th.  Interesting enough, the top team won the SB.  We just lost 16 of those sacks.  I mean maybe Murphy will get back on the PEDs and share them with Hughes.  But to think pass rushers isn’t a big need whole talking about punters is kinda wow.  Maybe a great pass rusher instead of Milano finished off that Watson play.  

and I think you are missing a lot about the game. This sounds out of the Rex Ryan school of thought.  Teams blitz because their d line isn’t good enough.  Great qbs love blitzing teams because they can beat the Blitz for big plays. Brady laughs at Rex’s stupid blitzes.   It’s why the 49ers had the best qb in the nfl struggling for the first half of the SB. A great d line.  It’s why the Giants beat Brady.  A great d line.  Nothing about Murphy and a declining Hughes is great.  It’s absolutely a huge need.  And this is crazy but if you have a really good d line who can generate pressure without blitzing, it helps everyone cover better.  This, you don’t have as Don’t have to go crazy drafting and signing cbs. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We had 36 sacks, which tied for 26th.  Interesting enough, the top team won the SB.  We just lost 16 of those sacks.  I mean maybe Murphy will get back on the PEDs and share them with Hughes.  But to think pass rushers isn’t a big need whole talking about punters is kinda wow.  Maybe a great pass rusher instead of Milano finished off that Watson play.  

I view that Milano play differently, if it had been any other QB besides Watson he would have got him. Like say Cam for instance.