Mesh point Josh Allen/ Motor

I’ve been rewatching the games from last year and a few things keep Coming up. 
1) I’m super pumped and excited of what this team can accomplish next year. We have a difficult schedule but I’m not concerned at all, can’t remember the last time I thought like that. 

2) Offseason work is NEEDED on the mesh point between Motor and JA. When they attempt to do read options which should be  a staple in our offense, it’s too awkward and not nearly as smooth as it needs to be. This keeps coming up while reviewing the games. 

3) I’m probably gonna get crap for this but I didn’t realize how many IMPACT play Shaq made. In our signature wins last year some HUGE defensive plays were because of Lawson and Although I’m confident the moves we made make me feel like we’ll be OK but it’s something that shouldn’t be over looked. 

Edited by billvernsays
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Allen and Singletary need to be more effective in the screen game too. If they are...watch out...

Screens are only as effective as your line can run a screen properly. And defensive tendencies are key as well

Allen is a great threat to run. So teams contain the LoS alot more instead of pure rush. So other teams D ends are constantly setting the edge and reading  not pinning back and rushing

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Screens are only as effective as your line can run a screen properly. And defensive tendencies are key as well

Allen is a great threat to run. So teams contain the LoS alot more instead of pure rush. So other teams D ends are constantly setting the edge and reading  not pinning back and rushing

Yeah I can’t figure it out as to why our screens aren’t effective but this seems to make sense 

9 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

Yeah I can’t figure it out as to why our screens aren’t effective but this seems to make sense 

I don't recall seeing any screens called this past season.  Either Daboll doesn't believe in them (which he should be fired, if this is the case), or as the previous poster pointed out, our offense (line) can't do a good job of executing a screen.  Either way, it's a shame; if we can run a screen like the Pats do, those plays are usually good for close to 10 yards.  Nice play to have in your arsenal.

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't recall seeing any screens called this past season.  Either Daboll doesn't believe in them (which he should be fired, if this is the case), or as the previous poster pointed out, our offense (line) can't do a good job of executing a screen.  Either way, it's a shame; if we can run a screen like the Pats do, those plays are usually good for close to 10 yards.  Nice play to have in your arsenal.

I think I remember some that didn't go anywhere and that one against Washington.

33 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

They should watch film of Lamar Jackson and Mark Ingram. They're probably the best at it right now. Lamar holds it in there forever. 

Apparently Lamar has very significant tells about if he plans to run or not.  Something about if he keeps his head up or tucks in his chin during the handoff.  Might explain why good defenses towards the end of the year "figured him out".

That would make it less of a read option and more of a well sold feint and simply not being able to chase him down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Allen and Singletary need to be more effective in the screen game too. If they are...watch out...

Not talked about enough. Also Allen needs to to get Singletary the football quickly in routes. Use that weapon. He can be deadly out of the backfield.

I've gone back and forth on this. What type of sidekick does Singletary need? Most say a punisher. I don't know. Why not have a similar player. Clyde Edwards Helaire might be perfect. Just keep rolling. I don't know if I ever want to bring in a power back for short yardage. Spread the field and let those 2 RBs and Allen do work. It'll be rare on goal line or short yardage that they won't get it.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agree totally with this. The way to make teams respect our screen game more is to make them respect our passing game as a whole. Once they have backed some guys off the line we will have more room to execute screens. 

Although both Allen and the line are dreadful at selling them as well. When we ran screens last season I was often calling them out pre snap or as soon as the ball was snapped from my sofa. If I had such a read on it then it is no surprise our opponents did too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Did they ever do a screen pass last year?

Singletary is not a natural at catching the short pass. 

He is not a big danger to get a big chunk if he catches the ball 3 yards past the LOS and takes off. 

He scares NOBODY if he flexes out as an additional wide receiver.  

He does not have elite speed to beat linebackers around the corner.

Fans may not agree with this, because the Bills did not run too many of these plays.   We lost offensive production because of this.

He is good as a shifty smart between the tackles, but is not big enough to push people aside or backwards near the goal line.

He had TWO Touchdowns last year.   (Bean is quoted as saying that he wants "touchdown makers")

We need to fill in those holes and there are 5 RB's in the draft who are good quality and can do that. There are also a good second tier who can compliment.

• Like (+1) 2

The offense needs to work on not making their QB sneaks so obvious. Everyone in the stadium knows when it's about to happen, and it doesn't seem smart to do it multiple times a game in similar situations.

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

@GunnerBill explained it best

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I think I remember some that didn't go anywhere and that one against Washington.

They didn’t attempt many but when they did, it was effective. Playoff game.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not picking up the fifth year option and starting Murphy over Lawson just can’t be explained. Beane and McD predetermined Murphy was the starter and it took 26 games for them to realize Lawson is a much better player. 

Yes, horrendous management decisions!? Since you’re never likely to have them explain ANYTHING to you, I suggest finding a new team to support.

Please?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I’ve been rewatching the games from last year and a few things keep Coming up. 
1) I’m super pumped and excited of what this team can accomplish next year. We have a difficult schedule but I’m not concerned at all, can’t remember the last time I thought like that. 

2) Offseason work is NEEDED on the mesh point between Motor and JA. When they attempt to do read options which should be  a staple in our offense, it’s too awkward and not nearly as smooth as it needs to be. This keeps coming up while reviewing the games. 

3) I’m probably gonna get crap for this but I didn’t realize how many IMPACT play Shaq made. In our signature wins last year some HUGE defensive plays were because of Lawson and Although I’m confident the moves we made make me feel like we’ll be OK but it’s something that shouldn’t be over looked. 

There was a few scary read options between Allen and singletary. Iirc there was one where Allen yanked singletary to the ground trying to pull the ball back 

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Did they ever do a screen pass last year?

Singletary is not a natural at catching the short pass. 

He is not a big danger to get a big chunk if he catches the ball 3 yards past the LOS and takes off. 

He scares NOBODY if he flexes out as an additional wide receiver.  

He does not have elite speed to beat linebackers around the corner.

Fans may not agree with this, because the Bills did not run too many of these plays.   We lost offensive production because of this.

He is good as a shifty smart between the tackles, but is not big enough to push people aside or backwards near the goal line.

He had TWO Touchdowns last year.   (Bean is quoted as saying that he wants "touchdown makers")

We need to fill in those holes and there are 5 RB's in the draft who are good quality and can do that. There are also a good second tier who can compliment.

IMO he is a more dangerous weapon than you make him seem. But not much! His touchdown number is concerning for sure and should have been higher. Motor just isn’t a threat running the ball in goal line situations.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not talked about enough. Also Allen needs to to get Singletary the football quickly in routes. Use that weapon. He can be deadly out of the backfield.

I've gone back and forth on this. What type of sidekick does Singletary need? Most say a punisher. I don't know. Why not have a similar player. Clyde Edwards Helaire might be perfect. Just keep rolling. I don't know if I ever want to bring in a power back for short yardage. Spread the field and let those 2 RBs and Allen do work. It'll be rare on goal line or short yardage that they won't get it.

I listed to a podcast yesterday with a guy that really studies the RBs. He thinks Cam Akers is the best fit for what we do here. I tend to agree.