The Big Gamble: Hydroxychloroquine

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You don’t need to go to the filtered opinion of from the NYT. I recommend everyone go to the CDC website and you’ll see the ACTUAL FACTS about the number of cases in the entire United States. All through January and February the numbers were extremely low and amazingly unchanging. Go to that site and then tell me on which specific day would the genius Monday morning QB crowd in the media, and on here, have shut everything down? Which specific day? 

That was my point, friend.

On 4/12/2020 at 10:40 AM, Doc said:

Sure you didn't.  And I always follow it.  In this situation, in fact, because most doctors believe that HCQ is a safe and effective treatment for Wuhan virus.

This isn’t right. It’s safe-ish but effectiveness not yet known. 100% Worth a try but there is no scientific basis yet for effectiveness. 

22 hours ago, B-Man said:

Former NFL player who recovered from the coronavirus says hydroxychloroquine 'worked great' as treatment

A former NFL player voiced support for the efficacy of an anti-malarial drug, hydroxychloroquine, that has been touted by President Trump as a treatment for the coronavirus.

On Friday, former Buffalo Bills tight end Mark Campbell told CNN the medicine helped him overcome the highly contagious disease that has put much of the global economy on hold.

"Fortunately for me, you know, they put me on some meds, the HGQ worked great for me, I will be honest with you there," Campbell said.

Campbell added that the entirety of his sickness lasted almost 30 days, and that he was recovering at home with his wife and children.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonexaminer.com ...

A young world class athlete recovering from Covid-19 is not the anecdote we need for HCQ!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, shoshin said:

This isn’t right. It’s safe-ish but effectiveness not yet known. 100% Worth a try but there is no scientific basis yet for effectiveness. 

A young world class athlete recovering from Covid-19 is not the anecdote we need for HCQ!

That Dem state rep (Whitsett) is a far better anecdote.  Democrat, multiple health issues, symptoms cleared within hours.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

That was my point, friend.

You and I agree. But I can’t figure out why so many nitwits keep going back to the same ‘news’ sources that have been proven wrong time and time again. Fake news will almost certainly be America’s downfall. 

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You and I agree. But I can’t figure out why so many nitwits keep going back to the same ‘news’ sources that have been proven wrong time and time again. Fake news will almost certainly be America’s downfall. 

Because they are lazy and cant think fir themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

NIH IN 2005: 

“Chloroquine, a relatively safe, effective and cheap drug used for treating many human diseases including malaria, amoebiosis and human immunodeficiency virus is effective in inhibiting the infection and spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. 

The fact that the drug has significant inhibitory antiviral effect when the susceptible cells were treated either prior to or after infection suggests a possible prophylactic and therapeutic use.”

• Like (+1) 3

UPMC Leads Global Effort to Fast Track Testing of Hydroxychloroquine and other COVID-19 Therapies with ‘Learning While Doing’ Clinical Trial. 

“REMAP (randomized, embedded, multi-factorial, adaptive platform) allows researchers to rapidly test multiple treatment approaches simultaneously at a lower cost and with fewer patients than traditional clinical trials.”

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Koko78 said:

What we need is a 'research engineer' to explain everything to us.

i'm thinking we are also going to need an 'explainer engineer' to explain everything to the 'research engineer'.

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony when watching the news shows the other night, virtually EVERY commercial break began with a drug company pushing some catchy-named prescription 'medication' for some illness you never knew anyone had, only to be followed by a long list of potential side effects, and the recommendation that you consult your physician!  (Many of those side effects include heart failure and DEATH! ) But no, HDC is the one medication that cannot be taken!  Why?  Because President Trump mentioned it as a possible treatment to ease the suffering during a world-wide PANDEMIC!  You cannot make this stuff up.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony when watching the news shows the other night, virtually EVERY commercial break began with a drug company pushing some catchy-named prescription 'medication' for some illness you never knew anyone had, only to be followed by a long list of potential side effects, and the recommendation that you consult your physician!  (Many of those side effects include heart failure and DEATH! ) But no, HDC is the one medication that cannot be taken!  Why?  Because President Trump mentioned it as a possible treatment to ease the suffering during a world-wide PANDEMIC!  You cannot make this stuff up.

I like the warning: Don't take ________________if you are allergic to ________________. Has there ever been a better CYA statement? 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I like the warning: Don't take ________________if you are allergic to ________________. Has there ever been a better CYA statement? 

That's also one of my favorites. Wouldn't you have to take it to find out if you're allergic to it?

I do know that the people always look REALLY happy in the commercials!  I'm sure it's because of the drug....right?

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That's also one of my favorites. Wouldn't you have to take it to find out if you're allergic to it?

I do know that the people always look REALLY happy in the commercials!  I'm sure it's because of the drug....right?

"I can play with my grandchildren and even walk to the mailbox now".

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No, it's probably because of the 4 hour erection @Nanker mentioned

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

"I can play with my grandchildren and even walk to the mailbox now".

True story:  My 86 year old father was watching one of these commercials the other evening...and he says to me "It looks like that guy has a rash on his arm!".  I said to him...."Dad, that's because the commercial is for people who have a skin condition!"  He'd seen the ad some many times and was so focused on the happy people, that he had absolutely no idea what the drug was even for!

• Haha (+1) 1