The Big Gamble: Hydroxychloroquine

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Lol, there’s the white flag. Everybody wants to play doctor but not everyone wants to read no heavy ass books.

Listen pal, there’s a lot more to practicing medicine than googling side effects and going, “it’s not safe!!!!!!!!!!!” Every medication has a risk of side effects, including the antibiotics you take for a sinus infection. Everyday in this country, septic patients with chronic kidney disease are started on vancomycin, even though vancomycin has a significant risk of nephrotoxicity. But that risk is assumed, because you may die without that antibiotic. Everyday, cancer patients take novel immuno- and chemo-therapy drugs without proof of efficacy because they have very little hope of survival otherwise. 

HCQ as an example, has very low risks associated with it relatively speaking, especially in a short course. One of the most notable side effects, which is related to the eyes, takes MONTHS of therapy to occur. It’s a medication that has been around since the 50s and one that we know very well. When using it in a COVID patient, you would have a discussion about the risks and possible benefits, including the fact that it hasn’t been well studied. But like above, regardless of the lack of clinical trial data, most patient’s on death’s door would take the chance on a mostly benign drug. And ultimately, it’s shared decision making between both the patient and their physician. No one is forcing COVID patients to take HCQ.

You don’t know what you’re talking about, which is okay. The easy solution is to shut the ***** up and stop trying to play doctor, because you suck at it.

You didn't answer a single question I asked.  Nice dodge mr Non MD troll.

6 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Seriously? He used the rhetorical number "nine million" and you're trying to sound reasonable in asking him simply to name the first million? You're an ass and a troll.:lol:

In my experience, no real MD would be so flippant.  None the less, I thought the questions I asked were reasonable and he didn't answer a single one.  He is the troll.

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

In my experience, no real MD would be so flippant.  None the less, I thought the questions I asked were reasonable and he didn't answer a single one.  He is the troll.

I though he was being patient. Most MDs would have told you to shove off long ago.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Alright, I think that’s it. Hope it was at least educational for the rest of y’all. 

Well, we certainly learned more than he did. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is sad now dude. If you want to rejoin the debate:

https://www.kaptest.com/mcat

Start here and we can talk in about 8 years.

Why would I want to talk to a troll in 8 year?  Here are the questions no real MD would dodge.

My problem is that HCQ has not been proven in clinical trials.  Do you disagree?  My problem is that people seem to be throwing caution to the wind.  Do you disagree?  I don't remember the drug names but I've heard of a couple of drugs that compete with HCQ that have shown some promise against Covid-19.  Trump even mentioned one of them by Pfizer in his Friday news conference.  Isn't it possible that if HCQ is effective against Covid-19, competitive medicines might be effective as well?

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

I though he was being patient. Most MDs would have told you to shove off long ago.

I'm glad I have better doctors.

6 minutes ago, sabrecrazed said:

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Azalin said:

It should be added that we are in an unprecedented time. It may come out in a year than HCQ is worthless in COVID. It may come out it has done more harm than good. Some physicians may be more hesistant to use it due to the lack of evidence than others. 

It’s a situation in which we do not have all of the answers in a field where we can barely expect to have some of the answers. That’s why discussion of its use should be held with your physician keeping in mind your own personal circumstance. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

It should be added that we are in an unprecedented time. It may come out in a year than HCQ is worthless in COVID. It may come out it has done more harm than good. Some physicians may be more hesistant to use it due to the lack of evidence than others. 

It’s a situation in which we do not have all of the answers in a field where we can barely expect to have some of the answers. That’s why discussion of its use should be held with your physician keeping in mind your own personal circumstance. 

And yet you dodge all of my questions and ask me unreasonable ones?

• Haha (+1) 1

I thought the problem was that Trump was touting the drug as a preventative measure and advising people to take it even if they're not showing symptoms.

This seems like a big straw man argument. I don't get caught up in the politics of it all, though.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I answered those questions a page ago. Stop being silly.

No, you didn't answer a single one.

Here they are.

My problem is that HCQ has not been proven in clinical trials.  Do you disagree?  My problem is that people seem to be throwing caution to the wind.  Do you disagree?  I don't remember the drug names but I've heard of a couple of drugs that compete with HCQ that have shown some promise against Covid-19.  Trump even mentioned one of them by Pfizer in his Friday news conference.  Isn't it possible that if HCQ is effective against Covid-19, competitive medicines might be effective as well?ll my questions

Edited by Scraps

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

And yet you dodge all of my questions and ask me unreasonable ones?

How about this one. You’re on a ventilator time is running out and a doctor, your doctor,approaches you and says “I’m going to be honest with you. Things look bad. But we have this experimental drug that may very well save your life.  It’s not been clinically tested but it’s been show to work.”

Here’s the question. What do you do?

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

How about this one. You’re on a ventilator time is running out and a doctor, your doctor,approaches you and says “I’m going to be honest with you. Things look bad. But we have this experimental drug that may very well save your life.  It’s not been clinically tested but it’s been show to work.”

Here’s the question. What do you do?

What is the treatment?  What are my options?