Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jerboski

Rewatching playoff game

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Gore was the worst player on the team and possibly one of the worst players in the entire league. Literally every single week I posted to activate Yeldon and never let Gore touch the ball. The guy single handedly killed so many drives last year. I’m not sure how a person getting paid to make football decisions, didn’t see what Gore was. The fact that we signed him in the first place made me sick. The only thing worse, was the fact that he somehow got high leverage touches and significant playing time. The guy has been done for at least 5 years. He never should have been signed and to have him active on game days was a borderline crime.

This is an awful and irrational take. Gore definitely petered out by the end of the year but he was the lead back through the 5-1 start and through that span was on a 1000 yd pace at over 4.0 a carry. 
 

takes like this make me wonder about people. Gore shouldered the load just fine while motor was out and was the lead back in the rushing game during a hot start..... and now it’s obvious it’s time to move on. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UGH! I can still feel the feeling I had. 
 

I wasn’t born when we were good, I’ve only experienced bad. I remember sitting there in the first half so happy we were dominating and thought we had a chance to move on.

 

Then my stomach began to sink later in the game. Face buried in my shirt, pure sickness in my stomach. I hate that feeling. The we had a shot in OT.

 

wow. I don’t even have to watch for it to come back :(

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the OP for starting this thread (I don't really hate you)

 

Singletary was having his way.  Their defense had no answer for him.

 

So Daboll decided to bench him.

 

I am not knocking Gore.  Love the guy.  But he should not have had pads on.

 

But it didn't matter because Daboll decided to pass, pass, pass.  With a lead.  Against a defense who couldn't stop Singletary.

 

And McDermott thought it was a good idea to bench Duke all year until the ***** playoff game. Then make him the focal point.  

 

Dumb and dumber.

 

We lost the game because of inept gameplanning, roster management and play calling. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Defensively.  He and Frazier go into a soft zone/prevent D, which prevents you from winning.  This prevent D theory has been proven a bad choice for many years so not sure why McD thinks it will work for him.

 
I don’t know.... the 3rd and 18 seemed like it was breakdown as opposed to scheme.  
 

Also you have to remember that Houston was a good offense.  In the playoffs it’s hard to hold teams With good QB’s under 20 points under points.  I never thought the lead was big enough where they could coast to a win.  Offense needed to score and IMO that was the downfall more than the defense

2 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I've never seen such utter dominance in a playoff game... until it got Billsy


The humor on this response sailed wide right 

33 minutes ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

Yeah, just odd how they ran right past him. Play was there for a big gain otherwise it looked like. #$%&*

But that was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. 

It was a good play call by Daboll to get something out of a QB who was struggling.  He gets such a bad rap from fans

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my biggest takeaway

 

why the hell did Allen throw the ball 46 times, in his first playoff game. Daboll totally abandoned the run and it ended up costing us.  

 

also our WR's let us down massively, John brown makes that catch at the 3 yard line and we score a td its game over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

my biggest takeaway

 

why the hell did Allen throw the ball 46 times, in his first playoff game. Daboll totally abandoned the run and it ended up costing us.  

 

also our WR's let us down massively, John brown makes that catch at the 3 yard line and we score a td its game over.  


Because our line couldn’t block Houston DL.  They were stuffed every time they ran.  Allen couldn’t beat the secondary with his arm and panicked.  Not entirely on Daboll - blame QB and offensive line 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst play of all was McDs unconscionable decision to go for it on 4th and 27 with three timeouts.  Stupidest decision ever.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is an awful and irrational take. Gore definitely petered out by the end of the year but he was the lead back through the 5-1 start and through that span was on a 1000 yd pace at over 4.0 a carry. 
 

takes like this make me wonder about people. Gore shouldered the load just fine while motor was out and was the lead back in the rushing game during a hot start..... and now it’s obvious it’s time to move on. 

Gore was absolutely terrible last year. I don’t care if he got the majority of the touches early on. It was because Singletary was hurt and Daboll is an idiot. There were 8 games last year where he had less then 3 yards per carry. That’s embarrassing. The guy was a complete liability and we won in spite of him. Il give him the New England game. That was the only game where his legs didn’t look like they were shot. Even in games where he was getting 6 and 7 yard runs...if that was anyone else in the league, they would have gotten 20 yards. The holes were there, he just couldn’t get to them fast enough. Shady looked really bad the year before but he was twice what Gore was. It’s over now so I’m not going to waste my time arguing with you about it. The guys legs were completely shot. 30 is old for a RB and this guy was significantly past that. There is never a reason to have an old running back. It’s was to easy to find cheap young ones. Also Yeldon needed to be active last season. He would have been a much better option. To late now. Hopefully last season is a lesson learned for Beane and we stay away from the old running backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Defensively.  He and Frazier go into a soft zone/prevent D, which prevents you from winning.  This prevent D theory has been proven a bad choice for many years so not sure why McD thinks it will work for him.

 

Except that soft zone on 3rd and long, force the short throw and rally and tackle is their defense. They called that and executed it about 25 times over the course of the season. 

 

You can say don't expect the offense to change what it has been all year for a playoff game but equally you don't change a defensive scheme that is the reason you are in a darn playoff game in the first place. The players blew the play. They panicked, got too deep and couldn't recover. I know fans find it easier to blame the coaches and the call but there was nothing wrong with that call. Nothing at all. It was execution that failed us. On both sides of the ball in that game our players did not execute in big moments. Now some of that can be worked on in terms of mentality and how you deal with pressure situations but some of it just comes down to needing 2 or 3 of our other talented young players to join Tre in that elite category because it is elite playmakers like Watt and Hopkins and Watson that made the plays for the Texans that turned that game. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can’t bring myself to do it, just like I can’t bring myself to watch Rise of Skywalker...that game was a horror show!

Edited by JaCrispy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fortunately that game (which I haven't watched the replay, likely wont) is dust in the wind.

 

 

the only positive they may gain out of that loss, is the opportunity to learn from it and make the necessary steps to succeed going forward. that next chance I believe would be this year even given the unfortunate state we as a nation (and world) are in,  just unknown until we get to the other side of this.

 

they have been making some good moves, so far on paper. draft (when/if) will add even more to a young team that now can contend for the division. I wouldn't count a brady-less pats team out as long as bellycheat remains, but chances look pretty darn good the bills can once again contend for the afce crown.

 

...and have a better opportunity the get past the first round of the play-offs and further?

 

been a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of blame to go around, but the Defense has to stop one of those 2 point conversions.  A top defense has to make a stop on one of those.  As a whole the D let up 5 out of 6 two point conversions last year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

Yeah I was so bored, I ended up watching it as well. First time I've rewatched any part of it. It was a perfect storm of ***** that led to that L. Duke dropping that ball. Brown mistiming his jump a few drives before that, on a catch that would have given them 1st and goal from inside the 5. Siran Neal dropping an int that hit him right in the stomach, which might have been a pick 6. The "common sense" kickoff play where the guy "gave himself up", without actually "giving himself up". The "blindside block" that never was. The blatant delay of game, the refs conveniently missed. The blatant helmet to helmet on Allen, that was also missed. Daboll's decision to abandon the run late in the game, when DS was gashing them. The freak play, where Poyer and Milano simultaneously hit Watson, but their forces kept him perfectly upright. Every one of those things had to happen for Buffalo to lose that game or else Buffalo most likely holds on. And Every. Single. One. Happened. Craziest stuff I've ever seen. Of course it had to be a Buffalo / Houston game in the WC round. Wow deja vu. Feel like I wrote this earlier today or something haha.  

 

Just READING this cements my decision even further to never watch this game again. BARF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Defensively.  He and Frazier go into a soft zone/prevent D, which prevents you from winning.  This prevent D theory has been proven a bad choice for many years so not sure why McD thinks it will work for him.

We held a team that averaged 24 points per game to 22 points, in overtime. We had 2 players with Watson in their grasp for a sack and he gets out of it. Just a special play by a special player. It was a team loss. There were enough plays left on the field by the offense and defense to win it. Players execute better on a few plays and we win. Coaching was fine.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Gore was the worst player on the team and possibly one of the worst players in the entire league. Literally every single week I posted to activate Yeldon and never let Gore touch the ball. The guy single handedly killed so many drives last year. I’m not sure how a person getting paid to make football decisions, didn’t see what Gore was. The fact that we signed him in the first place made me sick. The only thing worse, was the fact that he somehow got high leverage touches and significant playing time. The guy has been done for at least 5 years. He never should have been signed and to have him active on game days was a borderline crime.

I didn't hate him as much as you.  But he was lousy the second half of the year.  Had nothing left in the tank.  What bothered me was not playing Yeldon.  Guy has some game.  And should have been allowed to contribute.  Play your best players every week.  Felt the same about Lee Smith playing over Tommy Sweeney.  Not sure McDermott can evaluate offensive talent very well.  That needs to get a whole lot better.  Dimarco Gore and L Smith are not NFL caliber players at this point in their careers. And were a complete waste of a roster spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I hate the OP for starting this thread (I don't really hate you)

 

Singletary was having his way.  Their defense had no answer for him.

 

So Daboll decided to bench him.

 

I am not knocking Gore.  Love the guy.  But he should not have had pads on.

 

But it didn't matter because Daboll decided to pass, pass, pass.  With a lead.  Against a defense who couldn't stop Singletary.

 

And McDermott thought it was a good idea to bench Duke all year until the ***** playoff game. Then make him the focal point.  

 

Dumb and dumber.

 

We lost the game because of inept gameplanning, roster management and play calling. 

Offensively, Duke dropped a td, then drops a pass with a minute left in regulation that would have shifted field position. John Brown can't keep his feet inbounds for an incomplete pass. Josh fumbles and turns the ball over at the beginning of the 4th, leading to a Texans score. We have a really good drive to kick a fg and go to overtime, even with Duke dropping the pass mentioned earlier. Duke dropping that pass means we're now working for a fg instead of going for a game winning td. 2 guys miss a block on a qb sweep in overtime that would have been a td or at least have us in fg range. We didn't lose because of game planning or play calling. The players left too many plays on the field to blame the staff. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Duke’s performance in that playoff game is exactly why he’s fighting he’s fighting for a 6th WR spot.  It was a huge opportunity that he probably was not ready for.   I think they realized they needed a MUCH better option at WR.

 

A first year WR who spent most the season getting scout team reps with practice squad QBs then almost zero reps with Josh in over a month leading into the last few weeks of the season, was supposed to come into a playoff game and not make mistakes. 

 

What I don't get is how short of a leash we put on players who show high potential but weren't drafted high so are considered throw away players. Duke, by far, imo showed enough to warrant the opportunity he will have to make the team this year AND CONTRIBUTE.

 

Anyone with good football eyes can see he has the ability. To judge his performance in his 4th or 5th NFL game of his life and say that's why he is fighting for a spot is quite absurd.

  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Offensively, Duke dropped a td, then drops a pass with a minute left in regulation that would have shifted field position. John Brown can't keep his feet inbounds for an incomplete pass. Josh fumbles and turns the ball over at the beginning of the 4th, leading to a Texans score. We have a really good drive to kick a fg and go to overtime, even with Duke dropping the pass mentioned earlier. Duke dropping that pass means we're now working for a fg instead of going for a game winning td. 2 guys miss a block on a qb sweep in overtime that would have been a td or at least have us in fg range. We didn't lose because of game planning or play calling. The players left too many plays on the field to blame the staff. 

 

You know how you avoid drops and sacks?  You run the ball.   Especially when you have a 2-score lead and you're in field goal range to all but ice the game.

 

I totally get your point.  The plays were there and execution was poor.

 

But there needs to be some situational common sense on the coaching staff's part.

 

Also ... Duke didn't play for the majority of the season.  So making him such a big part of the offense was nothing short of just plain stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...