Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Vader

NFL GM's want Draft postponed

Recommended Posts

The NFL says that the draft will go on as scheduled, despite multiple NFL GM's requesting it be postponed.

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107472/article/no-plans-to-postpone-upcoming-2020-nfl-draft

 

If the draft were to be postponed, it would probably be for a short time period. With the cancellation of OTA's & Mini-Camps it is a possibility.

 

I do think that they should change the format, and have it be a 2 day weekend event. There won't be any fanfare. No glitz and glamour, so there is no reason to have it be 3 days long.

 

They'll still get big ratings, because there is nothing else in sports going on.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GMs as a whole have asked for this, which to me makes zero sense that Goodell doesnt want to listen.

 

Better off moving it back and trying to do things as correctly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

The GMs as a whole have asked for this, which to me makes zero sense that Goodell doesnt want to listen.

 

Better off moving it back and trying to do things as correctly as possible.

The NFL stands to lose money, hence RG’s refusal to comply (at the moment).  It’s all about the money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm sure a big reason the GM's want it to be postponed is due to the fact they can't 1 have sit downs or pre draft visits to get know the players they want better to see if they are a fit 2 because they can't do any physicals to make sure every thing is good health wise so i can understand their choice .

 

I still think as you say it will be a big draw on TV because there will be nothing else but reruns in the sports world until this virus is figured out .

 

 

Edited by T master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The GMs as a whole have asked for this, which to me makes zero sense that Goodell doesnt want to listen.

 

Better off moving it back and trying to do things as correctly as possible.

 

@Roger Goodell, can you tell us what your thought process is in either keeping the draft as-is, or pushing it back a while?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The NFL says that the draft will go on as scheduled, despite multiple NFL GM's requesting it be postponed.

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107472/article/no-plans-to-postpone-upcoming-2020-nfl-draft

 

If the draft were to be postponed, it would probably be for a short time period. With the cancellation of OTA's & Mini-Camps it is a possibility.

 

I do think that they should change the format, and have it be a 2 day weekend event. There won't be any fanfare. No glitz and glamour, so there is no reason to have it be 3 days long.

 

They'll still get big ratings, because there is nothing else in sports going on.

I think the exact opposite. I like Schefter’s idea of 1 round a day for a week. There is NOTHING else going on. This will give team’s more time to work through their boards which is especially important without pre-draft workouts and pro days. The TV audience will be massive even for the later rounds. 

  • Like (+1) 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it on. We need some sports stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if not push back.... looks like these regional scouts who have had contact with these players will be highlighted. But I’m sure it’s not gonna make that big of a difference. I’m sure their phones still work. Game tape should be enough in most cases 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This only makes sense if the Bills will be given a 1st round pick in the 2020 draft. If not, then keep the draft as scheduled. I’m already going insane cooped up in my house and I only have a few episodes of Tiger King left. I need the draft to bring my sanity at an acceptable level. 

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the exact opposite. I like Schefter’s idea of 1 round a day for a week. There is NOTHING else going on. This will give team’s more time to work through their boards which is especially important without pre-draft workouts and pro days. The TV audience will be massive even for the later rounds. 

1 round a day? That's a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark Vader said:

1 round a day? That's a bit much.

Why? What else is taking up people’s time right now? This is a BIG opportunity for the NFL. They have the headlines. No other sports will be operating at that time. They certainly aren’t going to look for less exposure in that window.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For very selfish reasons I dont want it pushed back

  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PIZ said:

This only makes sense if the Bills will be given a 1st round pick in the 2020 draft. If not, then keep the draft as scheduled. I’m already going insane cooped up in my house and I only have a few episodes of Tiger King left. I need the draft to bring my sanity at an acceptable level. 

Ha ha, I’ll finish it up today and then back to staring at the wall until Friday when Ozark drops.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WMDman said:

For very selfish reasons I dont want it pushed back

For real.  The NFL stuff is the only sports we have.

 

these GMs act like it’s so hard.  Just research the guy’s background and FaceTime interviews.  They are going to make a bunch of terrible picks anyways.  
 

or just let each team’s fans vote on the draft picks 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I’ll finish it up today and then back to staring at the wall until Friday when Ozark drops.


Thanks for the reminder! One of the best shows I’ve seen. Love Ozark!

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, PIZ said:


Thanks for the reminder! One of the best shows I’ve seen. Love Ozark!

Ozark is paying someone a $1000 to watch next season. Look up contest looks legit to me.

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For real.  The NFL stuff is the only sports we have.

 

these GMs act like it’s so hard.  Just research the guy’s background and FaceTime interviews.  They are going to make a bunch of terrible picks anyways.  
 

or just let each team’s fans vote on the draft picks 

Can you imagine how letting fans pick players would work? The draft would go generally to plan until Pat's* and then they would pick 7 punters.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

 

@Roger Goodell, can you tell us what your thought process is in either keeping the draft as-is, or pushing it back a while?

 

 

It is:  "my bosses said no, the Draft goes on as planned".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

The NFL says that the draft will go on as scheduled, despite multiple NFL GM's requesting it be postponed.

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107472/article/no-plans-to-postpone-upcoming-2020-nfl-draft

 

If the draft were to be postponed, it would probably be for a short time period. With the cancellation of OTA's & Mini-Camps it is a possibility.

 

I do think that they should change the format, and have it be a 2 day weekend event. There won't be any fanfare. No glitz and glamour, so there is no reason to have it be 3 days long.

 

They'll still get big ratings, because there is nothing else in sports going on.

It's 3 days long b.c of the time allowed between picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, why could the draft NOT go on other than GMs can't evaluate players as thorough as they would like.

 

Each teams war room... less than 10 ppl?

Actual draft auditorium... 2 ppl per team, plus some extra ppl...  less than 100 ppl spaced out...

 

This can be done.

 

Also, I like the idea of spreading out the draft.  Do it over 5 days, Round 1, 2, 3, 4-5, 6-7

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I’ll finish it up today and then back to staring at the wall until Friday when Ozark drops.

 

I only started Ozark last week so I am basically going straight into season 3 after I finish season 2 tonight. Loved season 1. Season 2 is good.... but it isn't quite as good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

I only started Ozark last week so I am basically going straight into season 3 after I finish season 2 tonight. Loved season 1. Season 2 is good.... but it isn't quite as good. 

100% agree

 

Apparently season 3 is somewhere between the 2 in terms of reviews. It has to do with the KC mob. I have fairly high expectations for it.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the exact opposite. I like Schefter’s idea of 1 round a day for a week. There is NOTHING else going on. This will give team’s more time to work through their boards which is especially important without pre-draft workouts and pro days. The TV audience will be massive even for the later rounds. 

 

As someone who is on day 14 of quarantine and has 5 more weeks to go. YES PLEASE. This is all I have to look forward to right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For real.  The NFL stuff is the only sports we have.

 

these GMs act like it’s so hard.  Just research the guy’s background and FaceTime interviews.  They are going to make a bunch of terrible picks anyways.  
 

or just let each team’s fans vote on the draft picks 

So true. So much overthinking goes into this. Hell, I'd like to see teams forced one year to draft based on college performance only - no combine, pro days, nothing else - just to see what the results would be. Probably not that different from what we currently have. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They positioned the draft for the first week of Nielson Sweeps ratings for the spring, this is important for driving advertising dollars.  Which is why it made the move several years ago.

 

I bet it has to do with physicals more than anything else from the GM side.  Wasting an early pick on a bum knee sucks (insert Willis McGahee joke here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

100% agree

 

Apparently season 3 is somewhere between the 2 in terms of reviews. It has to do with the KC mob. I have fairly high expectations for it.

If you're looking for a great show, try Counterpart. It's only two seasons, and for my money the best show of the last couple/few years. It's now streaming on Amazon Prime.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...