Reed83HOF

Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

it doesn’t matter much cause Clowney is talking with Cleveland and they are apparently offering him a really good deal. I’m not a Clowney fan I think we could find better in the draft

Clowney is fantastic. If Cleveland get him then he and Garrett is downright nasty. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So you’d rather spend 16 mill on a multi year deal and make it impossible to resign our own free agents next year?

The guys we might be looking to extend are Tre, Dawkins and milano.  Say we spend that 16 mill a year on them.....how much better does that make us in 2020?  It doesn’t.

Adding a player on a 1 year deal makes the team better for 2020 AND still allows us to resign everyone we want going forward. 

signing a different player on a 2 year 16 mill a year contract makes it so we won’t be able to sign all of the guys we want.  

it’s really not rocket science. 

Bills with Clowney >>>>>>> Bills without Clowney.  

just wondering who you think will be better?

We have to maintain our status as salary cap champs next offseason. Signing Clowney would seriously jeopardize that.  

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Err, yes you can. I mean it wouldn't stop me trying to sign Clowney on a 1 year deal because I really do not like our edge situation as it stands. But you can roll unused cap over. 

Gunner....honest question...can you roll over all of it? Or just some of it?

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We have to maintain our status as salary cap champs next offseason. Signing Clowney would seriously jeopardize that.  

I don’t want to really win the SB this year.  But let’s really go for it in 5 years when we have tons of cap space!!! Stupid KC.  Look at their lack of cap space.  I bet they totally regret all those contracts now!!!

and I don’t want to pay JC that much.  So overrated.  We already have enough “pass rushers” who don’t get sacks.  I’d rather have Shaq at 10 than JC at $18 (and Murphy at $0 😎).

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gunner....honest question...can you roll over all of it? Or just some of it?

You can roll any unspent subject to you meeting the cap floor over a rolling 3 year period. So in any 3 consecutive seasons you must have hit I think it is 89% spend.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You can roll any unspent subject to you meeting the cap floor over a rolling 3 year period. So in any 3 consecutive seasons you must have hit I think it is 89% spend.

Thanks!

So the debate is a simple one. Spend some major money on Clowney in 2020 or save that  same money to resign your own core players in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t want to really win the SB this year.  But let’s really go for it in 5 years when we have tons of cap space!!! Stupid KC.  Look at their lack of cap space.  I bet they totally regret all those contracts now!!!

and I don’t want to pay JC that much.  So overrated.  We already have enough “pass rushers” who don’t get sacks.  I’d rather have Shaq at 10 than JC at $18 (and Murphy at $0 😎).

LOL you really think we’re going to the super bowl this year? This team is still young and it’s probably gonna take another year before we can say we’re Super Bowl bound. We need to win the playoffs first before thinking about a superbowl

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL you really think we’re going to the super bowl this year? This team is still young and it’s probably gonna take another year before we can say we’re Super Bowl bound. We need to win the playoffs first before thinking about a superbowl

I get what you’re saying but you have to think SB right now, even if it sounds crazy.  I’d say it’s 50-50 that Allen gets that big deal but if he does, everything changes.  This is the window to go all in, which I think they have done a pretty good job with.  But for all this talk about being salary cap “wizards,” Basically they had a bunch of cheap young guys who hadn’t gotta paid yet.  When Tre and possibly Allen get their money, there goes the salary cap.  

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll let the market set itself there. In my mind he’s just a rich man’s Shaq. Time will tell. Certainly not what Clowney expected. He got so hyped in college he lost sight of reality. I’m in for a fair deal. 

What would be a fair deal?

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Is there some gradual incline to getting to the Super Bowl that every team has to follow? 

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get what you’re saying but you have to think SB right now, even if it sounds crazy.  I’d say it’s 50-50 that Allen gets that big deal but if he does, everything changes.  This is the window to go all in, which I think they have done a pretty good job with.  But for all this talk about being salary cap “wizards,” Basically they had a bunch of cheap young guys who hadn’t gotta paid yet.  When Tre and possibly Allen get their money, there goes the salary cap.  

I agree. The minimum acceptable this year is win the division and win a playoff game. Anything short of that is failure. To really succeed they need to be contenting for the Superbowl and that means making the AFCCG and not getting blown out in it. Fro me they can do the former with the edge guys they have. To do that latter I think that is the unit that still needs more.

There are several teams who could upgrade the pass rush, plenty who did in a variety of other ways outside of Clowney. The dude is massivley overrated, more hype than production.

I really have a hard time understanding why people would be against giving a player like Clowney a short term deal? It really makes 0 sense to be against it.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

sorry @DC Tom

YOU’RE AN IDIOT.

nothing else to say to you 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I really have a hard time understanding why people would be against giving a player like Clowney a short term deal? It really makes 0 sense to be against it.

See my above post.  That answers your question

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with you and look I hope for the best and that we do make a run but right now as it stands it’s highly unlikely we’re making a SB run this year. But you never know stranger things have happened. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

There are several teams who could upgrade the pass rush, plenty who did in a variety of other ways outside of Clowney. The dude is massivley overrated, more hype than production.

is he overrated?  Yeah, he’s probably overrated. Is he a very good football player that can dominate the LOS from play to play and do things none of our current DEs can do?  Yeah, he is.  Will he improve our team in many ways?  Yeah, he would.  Is there any free agent that we can add that would improve our team more than he would?  Not in my opinion.

Improve our team in 2020 while having no negative impact on next years salary cap OR not improve our team for 2020 and have a similar cap next year.  

#itsnotrocketscience

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

is he overrated?  Yeah, he’s probably overrated. Is he a very good football player that can dominate the LOS from play to play and do things none of our current DEs can do?  Yeah, he is.  Will he improve our team in many ways?  Yeah, he would.  Is there any free agent that we can add that would improve our team more than he would?  Not in my opinion.

Improve our team in 2020 while having no negative impact on next years salary cap OR not improve our team for 2020 and have a similar cap next year.  

#itsnotrocketscience

How about Olivier Vernon? If the browns sign Clowney they’re going to release Vernon. I’d say take a shot on him he’s technically the same age as Clowney

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

How about Olivier Vernon? If the browns sign Clowney they’re going to release Vernon. I’d say take a shot on him he’s technically the same age as Clowney

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

It all comes down to money. Remember these guys are experts. If Beane doesn’t feel Clowney is worth what he wants then he’s not going to sign him. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but can be very inconsistent at times and sometimes downright disappears in games. I’ve never been a Clowney fan and thought he was completely overhyped coming out of college

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It all comes down to money. Remember these guys are experts. If Beane doesn’t feel Clowney is worth what he wants then he’s not going to sign him. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but can be very inconsistent at times and sometimes downright disappears in games. I’ve never been a Clowney fan and thought he was completely overhyped coming out of college

Exactly and so far it's just not Beane.  All 32 GMs have had an opportunity to sign him.  It seems to me that Clowney and his agent have

overplayed their hand.  I'm sure many teams contacted them with reasonable offers and they accepted none of them.  Now teams cap

dollars are drying up and I'm sure they are regretting it.  IF they go low enough maybe someone will bite (even Beane).

I'm shedding no tears for Clowney's situation.

• Like (+1) 4