Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

27 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Amazing how quickly everyone here wants to throw in the towel on Ford at tackle.  I'm am highly confident that is not how Beane/McD are thinking about the issue.

I’m not throwing in the towel on Ford, but he wasn’t very good last year.  Sure, I hope he improves, but I don’t want to bet my season on “i hope he improves a bunch”.  If we were strapped, than maybe we could roll the dice but we have the resources and Josh Allen deserves more.  He needs more to win a Super Bowl.  Just adding playmakers isn’t enough imo.  Our OL needs to be better

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I’m not throwing in the towel on Ford, but he wasn’t very good last year.  Sure, I hope he improves, but I don’t want to bet my season on “i hope he improves a bunch”.  If we were strapped, than maybe we could roll the dice but we have the resources and Josh Allen deserves more.  He needs more to win a Super Bowl.  Just adding playmakers isn’t enough imo.  Our OL needs to be better

Ford wasn't good at pass protection early on, but after Ty got hurt towards the middle of the season and Ford came in and played all the snaps he was actually solid in pass pro and good in the running game. I think the Steelers game in particular he was very very good. Ford was a bit raw coming-out of the draft as are a lot of rookie O-line players. I think he will surprise a lot of fans who are skeptical. And they do have Ty as a backstop. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is great. 

While the offensive line still has room to improve, this will keep the left side in place. I didn't want to see them completely re-make the offensive line AGAIN this year. At some point, you need continuity there. The Bills can now concentrate on upgrading the right side of the line, whether that's in the form of a new right tackle or some competition at guard for Jon Feliciano.

I also believe that Dion Dawkins benefitted greatly, and will continue to benefit, from having a smart, solid veteran next to him.

All in all, there was simply no need to let a good guard, who fit in well with our team and didn't allow a single sack all year , leave in free agency. I'll leave it with Josh Allen's quote about Spain:

“He’s a really good dude. I love him and I wish we’d get him back too. If I had a say, we’d have in back,” Allen said in January. “He’s just one of those guys that you want on your team. He’s a team guy, he communicates well to the guys, he gets along with everybody in the locker room, he’s good presence and when he goes out on the football field and plays really well. I hope he knows that I love him and that’ll never change.”

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Well I will change my earlier stance of being on the fence. Beane is a wizard and that is yet another fantastic team friendly deal. 
They have done something here, I cannot possibly believe Spain would not have gotten more money in free agency from someone. 

I would have thought this deal was "team friendly" at 6 million aav and fair at about 7 million aav. So 5 million aav and having one less starting position to worry about is good. Hopefully they can invest the major dollars along the D-line. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Free agency could be postponed.

No plans for that yet.

Also, remember, most of the tampering has taken place anyways.

The league year usually starts at the beginning of March and not the middle of it.

Most of the stuff has already been done by teams.

Edited by njbuff

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

Im on the fence too because of Ford.

But Spain was actually in pass protection.  He didn’t allow a sack all year long 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was substantially better than it has been but it was not "good" and far from great. What we don't know is if the extra year would really make a difference continuity wise, as well as how much Ford will improve.

Exactly.  We don’t know.  Rolling the dice as opposed to signing an established beast a scary decision.  I believe this is our best chance from a talent/cap standpoint.  We aren’t paying a bunch of guys that are about to get big raises.  I’d love to sign a big money 1-2 year deal on upgrade along the OL.  

that being said.....I realize that we’re probably going to have the same OL plus maybe an OL in the draft or FA for depth

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

They have Ty (and possibly Waddle if they resign him) to push him make him earn his spot. They are going with Ford/Ty at RT. With an eye to have Ford win the job long term. I think the improvement in the O-line is going to come from a combination on continuity and Ford improving. They don't need to spend 15 million on Conklin when they have other needs and a limited amount of cash (esp when you consider they are going to want to roll over a chunk of their cash for extensions.)

I get it.  I just don’t think we’ll be serious contenders unless our OL is noticeably better.

rolling the dice is rolling the dice.  I’d rather buy it outright for the right price.....which might not be possible.