Can this crew evaluate WR's?

It comes back to how much this regime is willing to value the offensive skill positions because this coming season they absolutely need an out of the box weapon for Josh.  Perhaps they'll just fall back on the depth of the class and use another 2nd or 3rd on a skill type.  I don't think that's good enough if they're going to support the QB and help the offense improve from being a mid to bottom ranked unit. 

At this point, scoring points is more crucial to their long term success than finding another big dollar/high draft pick defensive player.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He was also a 6th round pick in XFL draft for skill positions, which means that each of the eight teams, including his own, selected 3-4 WRs ahead of him.  That means at least 25 WRs were already off the board across the XFL.  So who's good at scouting? 

Edited by cage
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It comes back to how much this regime is willing to value the offensive skill positions because this coming season they absolutely need an out of the box weapon for Josh.  Perhaps they'll just fall back on the depth of the class and use another 2nd or 3rd on a skill type.  I don't think that's good enough if they're going to support the QB and help the offense improve from being a mid to bottom ranked unit. 

At this point, scoring points is more crucial to their long term success than finding another big dollar/high draft pick defensive player.  

The not going against NFL DB's in the XFL is fair. But 9 TD's is talent regardless. 

But Maybe we don't have the correct coaching to see and evaluate the talent. Foster seems to constantly have issues. They couldn't use Mackenzie correctly/consistently. They waited awhile to try and focus on using Duke.

The FA pickups have worked, but were know commodities. So I guess BB can spot the talent. So I have some hope they get the correct WR(s) in this draft! But I hope the O staff can develop them correctly. They have shown little in that regard. We need to invest on the O talent this year. D I trust both BB and coaching 100%.

7 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

The Bills should consult with us amateur General Managers/personnel gurus here on TBD before making these moves!

Thanks for contributing!

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

To be fair, the only one still left from the administration that traded up for Zay was McDermott.  In hindsight this was terrible pick....at the time, it still probably wasn’t a great move.  Still Zay had a really productive college career and was know for having....sure hands.  LOL

The one who traded up for Zay WAS McDermott.  Beane was not the GM during the 2017 draft.  So if you're looking for anyone to blame for the Zay pick, it is McDermott, who I trust with knowing the defensive secondary, but that is about it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Did we not see it in Cam Phillips?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/10/cam-phillips-wins-third-xfl-player-of-week-honor/

Maybe it's just that sometimes they slip through the cracks. But seems like this kid has the special sauce. And the Bills couldn't see it. Measureables look good. Stats looking good in XFL.

LOOKING GOOD IN XFL....

yea

You know why guys look good in XFL, same reason they look good in college but dont pan out in NFL. Lack of talent defending them.

Edited by Hardhatharry

1 hour ago, LittleSammy said:

The Bills should consult with us amateur General Managers/personnel gurus here on TBD before making these moves!

That’s right!  Especially me, I’m way smarter about football than those losers... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

To be fair, the only one still left from the administration that traded up for Zay was McDermott.  In hindsight this was terrible pick....at the time, it still probably wasn’t a great move.  Still Zay had a really productive college career and was know for having....sure hands.  LOL

While this was a mistake the GM, front office, entire scouting and most of the offensive coaching staff is new. 

The mistake was they hired Zay's college coach and he had nothing but good things to say about Zay.  It was on his recommendation they picked Zay.

Problem is college coach who had bounced between NFL coaching staffs and college had no ability to coach up WRs to NFL level so Zay basically was left as good college player with potential. 

Coach was canned after 1 year then needed to deal with P5t5rman and rookie QB throwing to him.

Best thing for Zay is being on another team with another WR coach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I share some questions about our ability to evaluate WR, but Cam Phillips doesn't factor into those questions for me based upon XFL play.

Agreed.  Until Phillips does something in the NFL, it's ridiculous to say we "missed" on anything.

Arguments for:
Cole Beasley

John Brown

Dawson Knox, despite the dropsies has shown some real flashes

John Brown was a borderline Pro-Bowler this season.  He was a fantastic pickup and one of the steals of free agency.

Cole Beasley was a solid pickup.  His salary matches up with his production.

Arguments against:

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Tyler Kroft (gets an incomplete because of foot, but not impactful relative to signing)

Zay Jones has definitely been a bust.  But he was not drafted by Brandon Beane, and Sean McDermott is not a GM.

Kelvin Benjamin was a successful receiver during his first 2+ years in the league, when Beane was able to land him for a 3rd Round Pick.  Bills fans were understandably thrilled when we made this trade.  I don't think anyone could have anticipated the drastic fall-off in play, whether it was due to injury or effort.

Neutral:

McKensie

Duke Williams

Robert Foster

(all have made some contributions relative to investment in them)

Yep.  All of these guys were signed for peanuts, and have been low-level contributors.

At this point, Beane has yet to make a significant draft investment (Day 1 or 2 pick) in the WR position.  Both of his significant free agent signings have been successful.  His only significant trade was a bust, but it was something most couldn't have foreseen.  So in my opinion, it's unfair for anyone to question his ability to evaluate the position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I share some questions about our ability to evaluate WR, but Cam Phillips doesn't factor into those questions for me based upon XFL play.

Arguments for:
Cole Beasley

John Brown

Arguments against:

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Tyler Kroft (gets an incomplete because of foot, but not impactful relative to signing)

Neutral:

McKensie

Duke Williams

Robert Foster

Thank you for this post.  It’s what the OP should have been.  Happy to see that the trend line is looking good there.   Also I don’t think I’d assign them much blame where Zay is concerned.

3 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Did we not see it in Cam Phillips?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/10/cam-phillips-wins-third-xfl-player-of-week-honor/

Maybe it's just that sometimes they slip through the cracks. But seems like this kid has the special sauce. And the Bills couldn't see it. Measureables look good. Stats looking good in XFL.

XFL Talent vs NFL Talent...

Josh Brown and Cole Beasley say hello

I’d say the fact that we are heading into year 4 and have had no clear cut #1 receiver over that span is definite cause for concern. They seem to have picked QB correctly, hopefully they can pick the guy to end our wide receiver woes. Having a true #1 talent would make Brown and Beasley far more dangerous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The mistake was they hired Zay's college coach and he had nothing but good things to say about Zay.  It was on his recommendation they picked Zay.

Problem is college coach who had bounced between NFL coaching staffs and college had no ability to coach up WRs to NFL level so Zay basically was left as good college player with potential. 

Coach was canned after 1 year then needed to deal with P5t5rman and rookie QB throwing to him.

Best thing for Zay is being on another team with another WR coach. 

But he’s on another team with another WR coach, and he STILL a bottom of the roster player

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Arguments for:
Cole Beasley

John Brown

Arguments against:

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Neutral:

McKensie

Duke Williams

Robert Foster

Wouldn't it be...

Great

No one

Good

Cole Beasley

John Brown

Potentially good

Knox

Neutral

McKensie

Duke Williams

Bad

The Rest

(not sold on Foster at all)

The problem is there isn't anyone great, just some guys that are good. That's my view anyways.

@BigBillsFan last post helped me form my thoughts.  I think the answer to the OP is we dont know because we havent really sunk sizeable assets into the WR position yet.  We have sunk a 3rd for KB and then some FA contracts.  Of those FA contracts Beasley and Brown, who are pretty reasonable contracts (31st and 37th highest), are by far the highest.  So we havent spent draft picks or FA money on WR yet.

Reason for hope is that the two FA contracts have been good; reason for despair is that KB was bad.  I really dont think we have any idea about the draft.  These guys typically have a prototype and I'm not sure we know that yet for WR.

If your arguement is that they cant evaluate WR cause they havent really taken a shot yet, then ok, but I would still think you can understand the OL last year was a bigger need.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d only counter by saying that Beasley and Brown were sought after FAs who have had devious success in the league.  The KB trade is even worse because they saw him in Carolina when he was fat there.  The Zay move is even worse because they traded up instead of staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp.  They also traded Sammy and tried to replace him with Jordan “Garbage” Matthews. They also “blew” late round picks on Ray Ray and their friend’s kid. 

im not freaking out about Phillips.  But there are some real questions about their offensive personal evaluation.  Blindly trust them on defense, especially in the secondary.  Very vary of their offensive scouting, especially at receiver.  Given this is their biggest need, it’s a valid concern. 

Given your propensity for correct spelling, wth does this mean?

• Thank you (+1) 1