Bills sign Josh Norman

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup...and it also allows the Bills not to reach for the position in the draft...?

but isn't this kind of a reach in itself? A $6 million dollar reach.

I just read that no money guaranteed, so not a reach.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Spiderweb said:

Possibly, but Norman has played very poorly over the last couple years this is an extremely questionable signing none the less.

I also have my doubts about a 32 year old CB who has really only had one good year but they must feel that he can contribute something in their zone scheme. Time will tell.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

but isn't this kind of a reach in itself? A $6 million dollar reach.

Perhaps... but it depenfs on a few things...

1- how well his talent translates to our defense and ...

2- actual contract numbers

Edited by JaCrispy

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

Sorry. Should have used 'great' and not 'good'. My bad.

I get that he only made AllPro one year but he was widely considered one of the top guys for a solid 3-4 year stretch. 

You have to remember he was going up against one of the toughest divisions in the league for a DB, you're going to give up stats playing Mike Evans/Julio Jones/Drew Brees 2x year.

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Making him the 31st highest paid corner in the game (assuming that the $6M is legitimately salary and not all incentives)?

$6 million salary, plus up to $2mm more in incentives.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont get why people on here automatically think that signing Norman is a bad signing because he isnt as good as he was. Get your mind out of the thinking that there are only two main CB's and Norman has to be one of them. He didnt sign for big money so he isnt guaranteed to be CB2. If he beats out the competition, then great. If not then he plays a role in the defense on a good defense on team that is looking to be back in the playoffs. McD can usually get a lot out of players and Norman brings a lot of experience. Win/Win. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Man, it must be nice to be in a spot where making $6mil isn't that much that your expected to be a full time contributor.....

Jim Kelly signed for 5 years 8 million.  Made him the highest paid NFL player at the time.

Amazing we feel 6 million isn’t a lot anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

I think people are missing the point about Norman.   

Here's what's important:  McDermott had him for four years in Carolina, and McDermott knows, for an absolute certainty, that Norman processes McDermott's defense at a high level.   That is, what's going on in Norman's brain is what McDermott wants in a corner back.   So the only questions are whether at this point in his career he still has the heart and sufficient physical skills to execute what he's thinking.   (For most other free agent CBs, McBeane don't know if the guy can process, mentally, what McD wants.)

As for the heart and the physical ability.  They have watched film of Norman over the past couple of years, and they can tell from the film whether his problems were that he has lost a step.   They've probably talked to him a few times in the past couple of months, and they probably think from those talks that he has the heart.   So from all aspects that they can evaluate off the field, they must be pretty highly confident that he can contribute at the level McD needs.  

If they discover at camp that he doesn't have it, they cut him.   But my guess is that they're viewing this as a relatively low-risk signing that makes their defensive backfield better than it was in 2019.  

I agree with BillsfanAZ 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re a little high?? Cuz the contract isn’t. 

A.) Its cheap, actually.

B) we have a gazillion dollar$ to spend

C) he’s a Vet with knowledge of the system

D.) it ain’t Your money.

So yeah, you’re a little high.

$6-8 million for a guy that’s been legitimately terrible for a few years now is definitely not cheap.

We all know the other 3 points, one of which I literally made in the post you’re quoting.

20 minutes ago, HT02 said:

I'm not crazy about spending $6MM on a cb that seems to be washed up the last two years, but I'll trust McDermott

If he's really washed up they'll see in training camp and cut him with no negative impact to the team or the cap.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

This is the dumbest argument.

So if the bills sign a backup level player to 12 mil a year because "it aint my money" i have no right to question it, or be skeptical of it?

Technically you can, but you shouldn’t. That’s why it’s their career while some of “us” should just watch espn.