MMQB: Bills spent considerable time with top WRs including Jeudy and Lamb

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

What's interesting tho, if you listen to some of the guys over at the Draft Network, I think it was Solak talking about how Jeudy didnt have to win against to many different coverage in a sense because of the talent around him. Defenses had to adjust to the countless weapons Bama had, which didn't allow defense to use certain coverages against Jeudy. Jeudy is an absolute specimen no doubt about it, but in the context of the coverages he saw, I think its important when factoring in his release off the line.

I think that's partially just because of how special he is too. He absolutely embarrassed CBs that tried to press him at the line and teams quickly learned not to try it; they had a much better chance if they just played off coverage. He's just a filthy player; I would be very surprised if he doesn't become a Pro Bowl caliber WR (unless he becomes injury-prone).

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Is ruggs more tyreke hill or goodwin?

He's so much more skilled than Goodwin it's not a comparison at all. Ruggs is a good all-around WR who happens to be blessed with incredible athleticism. Goodwin is a fast guy that can catch sometimes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think that's partially just because of how special he is too. He absolutely embarrassed CBs that tried to press him at the line and teams quickly learned not to try it; they had a much better chance if they just played off coverage. He's just a filthy player; I would be very surprised if he doesn't become a Pro Bowl caliber WR (unless he becomes injury-prone).

He's so much more skilled than Goodwin it's not a comparison at all. Ruggs is a good all-around WR who happens to be blessed with incredible athleticism. Goodwin is a fast guy that can catch sometimes.

that's what i think as well. so he's more tyreke hill with that blazing speed. a guy that mahomes never seems to overthrow

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is also much better at... you know.... football. 

Yes he is.   

But he's still undersized (both the 6th shortest and 6th lightest of the 55 WR's at the combine) who's not faced much in the way of pro-level CBs, other than in the LSU games (where he had 3 catches for 68 yards in 2019 and 4 for 55 and a TD in 2018) or 2018 national championship with Clemson (one catch for 3 yards)...

He won't have three first round WRs on the field with him as well (Jeudy, Devonta Smith in 2021 and most likely Jaylen Waddel in 2022)...

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Is ruggs more tyreke hill or goodwin?

More like Hill.   He's way more advanced as a WR than Goodwin was.   

But from a body type / athleticism standpoint, maybe not all that different...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Some of the best WRs in the league were drafted outside of the first round, so yes. Especially in a very deep class.

I don’t disagree but this regime has yet to draft a top 3 round WR so we don’t know what their ability is to identify WR talent at the college level. They hit on Knox it seems and he was a diamond In the rough but we need a top WR not a project. 

29 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I don’t disagree but this regime has yet to draft a top 3 round WR so we don’t know what their ability is to identify WR talent at the college level. They hit on Knox it seems and he was a diamond In the rough but we need a top WR not a project. 

McDermott did draft Zay Jones. Even traded up for the privilege.

That being said the way this class is talked about, even by our own GM... you arent necessarily getting a project until later in the class. There is that much talent to pick from.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2020 at 9:16 AM, Mark80 said:

These two are as good of WR prospects as you are going to get.  Jeudy has the edge on cutting ability, Lamb has the better hands.  If its a 1 and a 2 to get them, I'm heavily considering it.  But I don't think I could stomach 2 1st rounders.

I think Beanestein will be frugal with picks and claim they can still get a difference maker at 22 at WR. I'm inclined to agree. My question is are Juedy and Lamb do much better than the next tier of what's available at 22?

4 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

I think Beanestein will be frugal with picks and claim they can still get a difference maker at 22 at WR. I'm inclined to agree. My question is are Juedy and Lamb do much better than the next tier of what's available at 22?

I think lamb is an automatic top tier WR and jeudys bust potential is close to nil.  Lamb is worth trading up for imo.  Ruggs might be the next guy to trade for imo.  That speed is something special mixed with those big mitts

14 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

I would also add Ruggs to that top tier , I also believe if Jefferson was 6’3 he would be in that top tier with that said I believe he will be gone before our pick @ 22

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

They have the right to sit there at 22 and see how the draft falls...but  would hope that if someone is there at say 15 who can come in and help Allen they make the move.  If they can trade up for a LB from 22 to 16 only 2 years ago they can for a WR. 

Being conservative is nice when you're early into rebuilding.  You gotta be bold sometimes or else you end up like Jason Botterill who's scared of his own shadow.  GM's don't keep their jobs by playing it safe all the time.  I'll say this for Beane...he explored the Antonio Brown thing last year and I'm sure that wasn't McD's preference. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeefCurtns said:

I think they are...but then again, I liked the Watkins trade too when it happened....so....

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

They have the right to sit there at 22 and see how the draft falls...but  would hope that if someone is there at say 15 who can come in and help Allen they make the move.  If they can trade up for a LB from 22 to 16 only 2 years ago they can for a WR. 

Being conservative is nice when you're early into rebuilding.  You gotta be bold sometimes or else you end up like Jason Botterill who's scared of his own shadow.  GM's don't keep their jobs by playing it safe all the time.  I'll say this for Beane...he explored the Antonio Brown thing last year and I'm sure that wasn't McD's preference. 

Who are the football equivalents of Sheary, Vesey, Hutton, Frolik, Mittlestadt and Thompson so we'll know if Beane is morphing into Bots?