plastic bag ban delayed until April 1

Steve O

More accurately, enforcement of the ban will be delayed until April 1. For those that use them to line small trash cans, pick up doggie droppings, etc. they will be available for a price after April 1, $2.89 for 100 or $28 for 1000 if memory serves.

Edited by Steve O
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's stupid... Enviro do gooders doing more harm.  As usual, the road to hell is paved with good intentions:

It will hurt the environment even more:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/09/711181385/are-plastic-bag-bans-garbage

My 84 year old MiL is fit to be tied... She never bought garbage bags in her life... Always reuses, repurposes... She throws out her garbage daily in one bag.  Most people will now by thicker bags, worse for the environment... All because a few slobs can't take care of their mess and do gooder enviros think they gotta be helicopter parents with the earth...

I save them too... I will just bring her a year's supply.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

OK, you can buy them but what's the penalty for actually using them?  Maybe they could be converted into face masks for all the germaphobes?

There is a person who uses them to make sleeping mats for the homeless... The ban is squeezing them out:

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/diy-crochet-plastic-bags-sleeping-mats-homeless/

Like everything w/Greens... It's a $$$$ grab that backfires and causes more damage.

• Like (+1) 4

My Golden poops up a friggin’ storm! The 4/10th mile walk around the block takes about 10 minutes and a couple poops. Her personal best is four poops, and that takes longer. I’ll use our grocery bags until they ban them, then go to the pet aisle and buy bags for the same privilege of picking up dog poop.  YAY me!  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

My Golden poops up a friggin’ storm! The 4/10th mile walk around the block takes about 10 minutes and a couple poops. Her personal best is four poops, and that takes longer. I’ll use our grocery bags until they ban them, then go to the pet aisle and buy bags for the same privilege of picking up dog poop.  YAY me!  

And when you buy those bags... Do more harm because the plastic will be thicker that ends up in the environment. And of course, used only once.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 hours ago, Augie said:

That only works till you're too old to bend over.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And when you buy those bags... Do more harm because the plastic will be thicker that ends up in the environment. And of course, used only once.

There are special dog poop bags available. Some of them say they are flushable, but you have to have a pretty robust toilet if you want them to go down without clogging. Some of them are biodegradable so the poop won’t be encapsulated for eternity in the landfill. They aren’t very big, which is a problem with my daughter’s golden-doodle. The “environmentally friendly” bags don’t have a long shelf life. They start to fall apart if they sit around for a year or two.  That’s a rude experience. 

I've lived in Portland, Oregon for about 6 years now, and plastic grocery bags have been banned the whole time.

Somehow, life goes on.

Society doesn't crumble. Dog ***** doesn't go un-picked-up. It's fine. No one even talks about it. Everyone just adjusted and went on with their lives.

Amazing.

• Like (+1) 8

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

There are special dog poop bags available. Some of them say they are flushable, but you have to have a pretty robust toilet if you want them to go down without clogging. Some of them are biodegradable so the poop won’t be encapsulated for eternity in the landfill. They aren’t very big, which is a problem with my daughter’s golden-doodle. The “environmentally friendly” bags don’t have a long shelf life. They start to fall apart if they sit around for a year or two.  That’s a rude experience. 

Are they free and can you use then multiple times before they find their final resting place?

What's footprint to make, produce... Some cesspool in China?

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

This makes sense and I bet they take over the market, eventually. They won’t go bad around our house. Between our dog and our son’s we are picking up mountains of poop weekly! 

For the past decade, I've been a plastic grocery bag hoarder specifically for the purpose of picking up my dog's poop.  She's gone, now, but for 10 years, we used at least two bags/day.

I'm convinced that I was on a "watch list," at my local grocery store because they always insisted that they bag for me.  I would usually bag my own and use way more bags than I needed.

When I used the Walmart self-checkout, I would double bag every single bag.  Sometimes triple bag.  I've probably got 200+ of those *****.  We still use them to scoop out the cats' litter boxes.

I think the ban is silly, but I really don't care about it (especially since I no longer have a dog).  That NPR link that WikiEII posted above shows how silly it is.

I wonder if it would be okay for me to bring the plastic bags I've collected to the grocery store and ask them to use those.

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For the past decade, I've been a plastic grocery bag hoarder specifically for the purpose of picking up my dog's poop.  She's gone, now, but for 10 years, we used at least two bags/day.

I'm convinced that I was on a "watch list," at my local grocery store because they always insisted that they bag for me.  I would usually bag my own and use way more bags than I needed.

When I used the Walmart self-checkout, I would double bag every single bag.  Sometimes triple bag.  I've probably got 200+ of those *****.  We still use them to scoop out the cats' litter boxes.

I think the ban is silly, but I really don't care about it (especially since I no longer have a dog).  That NPR link that WikiEII posted above shows how silly it is.

I wonder if it would be okay for me to bring the plastic bags I've collected to the grocery store and ask them to use those.

What got you on the list was breaking up the bunch of bananas and putting each one in it’s own bag. You need to be more subtle than that! 

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I've lived in Portland, Oregon for about 6 years now, and plastic grocery bags have been banned the whole time.

Somehow, life goes on.

Society doesn't crumble. Dog ***** doesn't go un-picked-up. It's fine. No one even talks about it. Everyone just adjusted and went on with their lives.

Amazing.

I'm standing in line at a Walmart, among the aisles and aisle and aisles of plastic...plastic bottles plastic jugs plastic wrappers plastic water bottles plastic sleeves over plastic goods...all loaded into a shopping cart with plastic bumpers and plastic advertising sleeves... thinking that had this ban never be implemented, life would have gone on as well. 

Agreed, amazing. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Somehow, life goes on.

Amazing.

Of course it doesn't crumble... But the data is in. More plastic waste for the environment.  Thanks Oregon for actually hurting the environment with NIMBYistic ways.

26 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course it doesn't crumble... But the data is in. More plastic waste for the environment.  Thanks Oregon for actually hurting the environment with NIMBYistic ways.

Also, those weed-smokin hippies with their fancy non-plastic dog poop picker uppers represent a population nearly 7x larger than where I live in Albany, NY.  That makes 'em 7x more pollutey than we are, and I don't feel the need to have to establish a logistics operation to ferry my items to my largely-plastic vehicle in 3 item shifts, with one party left at the counter to safeguard that which is temporarily left behind.  Don't even get me started on the massive carbon footprint of having a sports franchise like the Portland Trail Blazers. Get rid of them, save the planet and give me my plastic bags back. 

We've stopped using plastic single-use bags down here for over a year and the sky hasn't fallen down.

If fact, I didn't hear a single person complaining about it. 

Another important aspect to consider, apart from the waste that these bags generate, is the problems that arise from manufacturing them.

Quickly looking online, I found this...

"Worldwide, a trillion single-use plastic bags are used each year, nearly 2 million each minute. The amount of energy required to make 12 plastic shopping bags could drive a car for a mile."  www.earth-policy.org

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

We've stopped using plastic single-use bags down here for over a year and the sky hasn't fallen down.

Another important aspect to consider, apart from the waste that these bags generate, is the problems that arise from manufacturing them.

"Worldwide, a trillion single-use plastic bags are used each year, nearly 2 million each minute. The amount of energy required to make 12 plastic shopping bags could drive a car for a mile."  www.earth-policy.org

Whoever wrote this article should probably choose their words a little better and change "drive" to "power", if they want to be taken seriously. 

37 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Whoever wrote this article should probably choose their words a little better and change "drive" to "power", if they want to be taken seriously. 

So, that's what you got out of it?

Very insightful.

Not just dogs. My mom(93) is slowly losing control. We can use 3 bags some days from her depends and  and cleaning her up. My brother bought a box of 1000 bags at Sam's Club a few weeks ago.

Edited by Wacka

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Yup.  The tree huggers are right about this one.

Training people who work at convenience stores to stick any and every purchase into a plastic bag is unconscionable.   Fixing the environmental issues we're created has to start somewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

The bags aren't single use.  They are multi use.

Nice spin.  Single use... LoL... Reuse them.

Problem is recyclers hate them.  They tangle the machines.

It's 2020.... We can put a person on moon yet... We can't figure out how to not tangle a machine with a bag.

Nothing but a $$$$$ grab.

They recyclers want to pick and choose what we separate.  They want the good stuff.

37 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Not just dogs. My mom(93) is slowly losing control. We can use 3 bags some days from her depends and  and cleaning her up. My brother bought a box of 1000 bags at Sam's Club a few weeks ago.

Yup... Such a shame...  Sorry about your mom.

Those 1,000 bags are terrible for environment.  I swear, you think these braniacs would have learned.  I get the intentions... 

It's an aesthetic thing with them.  Miserable people... True... The slobs of world should be reigned in.  Who thows them right out after bringing their groceries  home?

18 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Training people who work at convenience stores to stick any and every purchase into a plastic bag is unconscionable.   Fixing the environmental issues we're created has to start somewhere.

Unconscionable is what the person does with it.  It's on the consumer.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The bags aren't single use.  They are multi use.

Nice spin.  Single use... LoL... Reuse them.

Problem is recyclers hate them.  They tangle the machines.

It's 2020.... We can put a person on moon yet... We can't figure out how to not tangle a machine with a bag.

Nothing but a $$$$$ grab.

They recyclers want to pick and choose what we separate.  They want the good stuff.

Nice spin??

That what they are referred to in NZ.  They were created to be used a single time, although you can certainly reuse them.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:55 PM, Steve O said:

More accurately, enforcement of the ban will be delayed until April 1. For those that use them to line small trash cans, pick up doggie droppings, etc. they will be available for a price after April 1, $2.89 for 100 or $28 for 1000 if memory serves.

Where is this ban... Sweden, Alabama, Texas? Is this approved by NRA?

Nice spin??

That what they are referred to in NZ.  They were created to be used a single time, although you can certainly reuse them.

Who uses them a single time... That is what is wrong with people.  Even if they get fouled... Recycle them..  BUT consumers are lazy... And the recyclers even lazier because they don't want the headache.

That's why they are being banned... Oh yeah... "Save the earth."  Yeah right...

“The three R's – reduce, reuse and recycle"

There is no "B" in there for ban.  Watch, now they will b-word that too many paper bags are taking trees... Isn't that why the plastic came in to use 40 years ago.

Wash your Chinese multi-use bags that are made in a  cesspool by slave labor... When they fall apart, just have them make you a new one.

What's really the bigger footprint here?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

You of all people, covering for irresponsible big corporations!!!  ?

No people are irresponsible.  They take the bag, they don't need to.  Corporations aren't acting irresponsible.  The comsumer is if they throw them unused in regular rubbish.

The recyclers are too.  No reason why you can't put bags in when you separate your garbage. The recyclers are just too lazy to handle them.  And they are under staffed picking up at curb.  Only one guy driving and picking up.  Why they want stuff loose in toter... Then recyclables blow all over town.

Once again... War on labor.  Forced automation.

11 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m all for helping the environment, and I do my part, but I’m convinced that 5he majority of my now biweekly recycling ends up in the dump anyway, since there’s less money in it now

Yup.  All all a scam.  I see them mix it.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

What got you on the list was breaking up the bunch of bananas and putting each one in it’s own bag. You need to be more subtle than that! 

That is not terribly far from reality!!!

When we started separating garbage a bunch of years back... Our bill went down.  Then they added garbage to Our water bill.  I take people weren't paying and they were sharing 92 gallon toters with neighbors.

The bill is creeping up to where it was.  When it reaches that old number... I won't separate my garbage anymore.  It's all going in regular garbage.  This isn't about the environment.  It's about making $$$$.

Don't give me a garbage bill... And I will gift wrap every piece...

40 years ago... In Scouts, we had "paper drives"... Who's getting that money today off the backs of your labor?  Separating your garbage... And you're being charged a bill.

We got the Big Guy talking hoaxes... Follow a garbage truck on garbage day.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When we started separating garbage a bunch of years back... Our bill went down.  Then they added garbage to Our water bill.  I take people weren't paying and they were sharing 92 gallon toters with neighbors.

The bill is creeping up to where it was.  When it reaches that old number... I won't separate my garbage anymore.  It's all going in regular garbage.  This isn't about the environment.  It's about making $$$$.

40 years ago... In Scouts, we had "paper drives"... Who's getting that money today off the backs of your labor?  Separating your garbage... And you're being charged a bill.

I happen to have a little too much time on my hands, but I don’t see this making my “to do list”. Maybe that’s just me......

:)

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Virginia does not regulate bags, Maryland makes stores charge for them and no idea about DC since they tried to implement parking tax with tickets for out of District cars I stopped shopping there.

We use CleverMade collapsible crates for most of our shopping. 

It saves us effort bringing into house - just carry the crate in.

Some items still get bags (i.e. meat) but for most items we just load from shopping cart to crate in car.

Some items we buy in bulk do not even need bagging like pallets of Gatorade, boxes of fruit, bags of rice.

For some stores the bags they give out are not worth the plastic they are made of.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

This is the starting point?  Off the top of my head, there were 5 different  brands of personal-use water bottles in the store today, plastic bottles with plastic caps and plastic labels, with plastic sign holders to tell me how much each plastic shrink-wrapped crate of 24 would cost.  There was an extensive offering of non-water-flavored water as well. 

How impactful would a ban on plastic water bottles in NYS be in 2020?  Between manufacture, shipping, recycling and repeating the cycle over and over the impact on the environment is staggering and dare I say, meaningful.  Would anyone really be harmed if a meaningful ban like that was implemented?  Would life be altered in any negative way? 

By the way, I don’t know anyone who thinks it’s the end of the world, quite the opposite.  They see it a largely hollow and silly political stunt.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I happen to have a little too much time on my hands, but I don’t see this making my “to do list”. Maybe that’s just me......

:)

Yeah... I don't either... But you can take a glance at what it's doing down the street.

Pretty low brow... I know.  But it's okay to be engaged. Better than clueless.  But clueless is cool in today's world, God forbid we watch what's going on.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This is the starting point?  Off the top of my head, there were 5 different  brands of personal-use water bottles in the store today, plastic bottles with plastic caps and plastic labels, with plastic sign holders to tell me how much each plastic shrink-wrapped crate of 24 would cost.  There was an extensive offering of non-water-flavored water as well. 

How impactful would a ban on plastic water bottles in NYS be in 2020?  Between manufacture, shipping, recycling and repeating the cycle over and over the impact on the environment is staggering and dare I say, meaningful.  Would anyone really be harmed if a meaningful ban like that was implemented?  Would life be altered in any negative way? 

By the way, I don’t know anyone who thinks it’s the end of the world, quite the opposite.  They see it a largely hollow and silly political stunt.  

Yup... Silly stunt like the soda tax in Cook County.  That lasted long.

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Who uses them a single time... That is what is wrong with people.  Even if they get fouled... Recycle them..  BUT consumers are lazy... And the recyclers even lazier because they don't want the headache.

That's why they are being banned... Oh yeah... "Save the earth."  Yeah right...

“The three R's – reduce, reuse and recycle"

There is no "B" in there for ban.  Watch, now they will b-word that too many paper bags are taking trees... Isn't that why the plastic came in to use 40 years ago.

Wash your Chinese multi-use bags that are made in a  cesspool by slave labor... When they fall apart, just have them make you a new one.

What's really the bigger footprint here?

Is it really so difficult to keep a dozen reusable bags in your car?  I've been using the same bags for over ten years now.  (There are even two Bills bags in there that I bought when I was back in the States in 2010.)  They're still almost as good as new.

It speaks volumes about you if you honestly believe mass producing these bags is better for the planet than if they were not.

Engauge your brain and use common sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Our Scout troop in Lewiston did paper drives every year.  Used the funds for camping trips at Camp Northern Lights in Canada.

We would fill a tractor trailer full of paper an magazines.  Every now and then an 'adult' magazine would be found.

Stacking the papers was halted for a few minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Our Scout troop in Lewiston did paper drives every year.  Used the funds for camping trips at Camp Northern Lights in Canada.

We would fill a tractor trailer full of paper an magazines.  Every now and then an 'adult' magazine would be found.

Stacking the papers was halted for a few minutes.

Guess who gets that money now... The garbage company as they cut labor, automate trucks, separating facility and stagnate wages... All as your garbage bill goes up because our labor is free to separate the garbage so others can choose to recycle.

Yeah... Save the planet my arse...That's what they say.  Sustainable conservation methods would probably work better.

NIMBY Canada ships it's garbage to China.

59 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Is it really so difficult to keep a dozen reusable bags in your car?  I've been using the same bags for over ten years now.  (There are even two Bills bags in there that I bought when I was back in the States in 2010.)  They're still almost as good as new.

It speaks volumes about you if you honestly believe mass producing these bags is better for the planet than if they were not.

Engauge your brain and use common sense.

Hope you're a Vegan and don't buy meat with those bags... You wash them, right?

Stop mass producing them... The evidence is in.  People use thicker, worse bags...

On 3/1/2020 at 6:41 PM, KD in CA said:

Exactly.   This "banning single use plastic bags is worse for the environment" claim is bull manure.  It's simply an excuse for people to continuing the same lazy, selfish, short-sighted behavior that they've indulged in since single use plastic bags became a retail staple in the 1980s.  Environmental groups have tried for at least two decades to reduce the impact of single use plastic bags on the environment for two decades.  The major supermarket chains like Wegmans and Tops in Upstate NY have been selling reusable shopping bags all that time while smaller shopping chains like Aldis have always had "bring your own bags or pay for our bags" policies.  Unfortunately, the vast majority of single use plastic merchandise bags are NOT recycled or used for another purpose once they leave the stores but end up in landfills or littering the landscape, which is exactly why the ban was necessary.

It's time for individuals to take some personal responsibility for their environmental impact.  This is not an onerous burden.  Remembering to bring in your reusable shopping bags when you go shopping is simply a habit like remembering to carry your drivers license with you when you drive your car.  

PS - Smaller, thinner plastic bags specifically designed for picking up dog poop have been available for years now.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Guess who gets that money now... The garbage company as they cut labor, automate trucks, separating facility and stagnate wages... All as your garbage bill goes up because our labor is free to separate the garbage so others can choose to recycle.

Yeah... Save the planet my arse...That's what they say.  Sustainable conservation methods would probably work better.

NIMBY Canada ships it's garbage to China.

Hope you're a Vegan and don't buy meat with those bags... You wash them, right?

Stop mass producing them... The evidence is in.  People use thicker, worse bags...

Really?  What evidence?   Post a link or it's simply your opinion.