Anyone Else Here Ever Ride On the Comet?

T&C

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I loved going to Crystal Beach.  I rode the Comet on Closing Day.  Went to the park with two friends.  The line to get on the Comet was at least a two hour wait.  There was NO line/NO waiting to ride backwards -- so that's what we did, twice!!  That backward ride on the Comet was the greatest.  You couldn't tell when you were going to turn right or left, you couldn't tell when you were going up or down.  It was like being rag-dolled for two minutes.  The only thing holding you in was that little bar going across your lap.  There were three of us so one trip I rode alone -- nobody to bounce off, so it was hold on for dear life.  Many years later I learned the Comet was in Lake George.  Rode it again -- facing forward.  I was still an excellent ride.

I'm always reminded of that old TV commercial with Mike Ramsay and Mike Foligno arguing about riding forward or backward.

One of the reasons I never liked amusement parks or roller coasters was because of the wait. I waited almost 2 hours at Darrien Lake for the superman rise, my buddy said we should have done it first cause there was no one there when we got there when the park opened. We went to Canada's Wonderland a last year and I was fine with taking the kids on the rides in the Peanuts themed area cause there were no waits, seeing the lines for other rides I wouldn't want to waste my time standing around for an hour + for a couple minute ride.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

One of the reasons I never liked amusement parks or roller coasters was because of the wait. I waited almost 2 hours at Darrien Lake for the superman rise, my buddy said we should have done it first cause there was no one there when we got there when the park opened. We went to Canada's Wonderland a last year and I was fine with taking the kids on the rides in the Peanuts themed area cause there were no waits, seeing the lines for other rides I wouldn't want to waste my time standing around for an hour + for a couple minute ride.

That's the whole point to the business model since moving from the pay as you ride ticket, to the one price admission.

Notice that modern amusement parks are awesome.  They can pool the money.  Back, years ago... Not much could go into new, bigger, better, rides... Better tech.

Look at this way.  How healthcare should be.

Just go on off day... Or plan, schedule early.

Not... To go sideways here... But this discussion can get really deep.  They got your admission... They don't care if you stand in line. They are maxed out, just the way they want it. 

Then throw a economic wrinkle with "FastPass" concept... Pay more, cut in line... But everybody can't pay more or we are in same long line boat! /smh... So... The Parks can only allow so many "Elites" with FastPass...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's the whole point to the business model since moving from the pay as you ride ticket, to the one price admission.

Notice that modern amusement parks are awesome.  They can pool the money.  Back, years ago... Not much could go into new, bigger, better, rides... Better tech.

Look at this way.  How healthcare should be.

Just go on off day... Or plan, schedule early.

Not... To go sideways here... But this discussion can get really deep.  They got your admission... They don't care if you stand in line. They are maxed out, just the way they want it. 

Then throw a economic wrinkle with "FastPass" concept... Pay more, cut in line... But everybody can't pay more or we are in same long line boat! /smh... So... The Parks can only allow so many "Elites" with FastPass...

I always spring for the fast pass.   I’m not waiting in line with the stinky, sun burned peasant masses.  Yuck.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I get what you are saying... I wouldn't wait 2 hours for a ride either. But, and maybe I'm dreaming here... the lines at Crystal Beach never seemed that long. I doubt my old man would have put up with it either. As kids the wait was kind of the lead up to the thrill of the ride.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I always spring for the fast pass.   I’m not waiting in line with the stinky, sun burned peasant masses.  Yuck.

Yup... But when they max out the daily allotments....You're still standing in line with the smelly masses.  Sucks if you pick a slow day... They got your extra $$$$.

I guess it's like taking the rental car company's insurance rather than using yours.  Great if if you get in wreck.  POOF! If you don't.

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

I get what you are saying... I wouldn't wait 2 hours for a ride either. But, and maybe I'm dreaming here... the lines at Crystal Beach never seemed that long. I doubt my old man would have put up with it either. As kids the wait was kind of the lead up to the thrill of the ride.

It's because you paid as you went.  Tickets for ride.  Notice that model would change in late 1970s.

Parks were also dumpy back then.  We'd bring a cooler and drag it.  Try THAT today.  They want you buying their food.  Darien, you can pack your own lunch... But stay in parking lot, old shelters next to the row of dumpsters.

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Agreed.

I didn't wait and still got to ride in this particular case. And it was well worth it.  I still remember that crazy backward ride pretty vividly 30 years later.  Next time you rider a roller coaster, close your eyes.  I did that on a coaster with my little guys a couple years ago at Hershey.  It is a whole different type of scary.

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup... But when they max out the daily allotments....You're still standing in line with the smelly masses.  Sucks if you pick a slow day... They got your extra $$$$.

I guess it's like taking the rental car company's insurance rather than using yours.  Great if if you get in wreck.  POOF! If you don't.

It's because you paid as you went.  Tickets for ride.  Notice that model would change in late 1970s.

Parks were also dumpy back then.  We'd bring a cooler and drag it.  Try THAT today.  They want you buying their food.  Darien, you can pack your own lunch... But stay in parking lot, old shelters next to the row of dumpsters.

I worked at Darien as a summer job in the mid 70's when school was off. All they had then were paddle boats and the new waterslide. My job was waterslide attendant... sat at the top and told people when to go or when to wait. The puss I extracted from that gig was incredible... lowest paying job ever/best job I ever had. I still have my employee manual. Amazing how that place turned into something completely different.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T&C said:

I worked at Darien as a summer job in the mid 70's when school was off. All they had then were paddle boats and the new waterslide. My job was waterslide attendant... sat at the top and told people when to go or when to wait. The puss I extracted from that gig was incredible... lowest paying job ever/best job I ever had. I still have my employee manual. Amazing how that place turned into something completely different.

They get everyone through gate paying all you can ride admission... They don't care if you go on ride, it rains, closed because of lightning.  They got their $$$$ up front.  That can be pooled into better services.  Oh... And don't dare bring your food in because that could lead to domestic terrorism... LoL... Concessions = the real money maker! 

Business model sound familar.  Take the good with the bad... We got awesome cathedrals called: Theme Parks.

And... I suck at economics. LoL...

[DISCLAIMER: I am not saying modern parks are bad... They are actually quite awesome, best ever. It's just gratuitous, we should put the effort where the "rides" can actually help people!]

23 hours ago, T&C said:

The year I was finally tall enough was a great one, we would go every year to Crystal Beach and how I counted down to being able to ride the damn thing... you can only extend your neck so far. First time was a mindblower... rode it with my Dad.

Image may contain: bridge, sky and outdoor

I did a few times way back in 1977 to 1980 

Someone in my family had some houses up the hill from the park at Crystal Beach. We spent our summers there for years in some tiny little cottage across from a school and my dad would drive in to work each day. I thought it was a treat that I got to sleep on the screened porch up front. Years later was I told it was only 2 bedrooms for the 5 of us and they stuck the littlest kid outside for lack of space. To this day I LOVE sleeping out in the summer when I have a porch that accommodates it. 

I loved the sweet rolls we’d get as we walked down the “hill” (to a little kid) towards the park!  The sounds and smells, the suckers and the sand that would burn my little feet at the beach. I also remember the giant blocks of ice that people would buy and take home because not everybody had an actual refrigerator. Ice box times!  If we walked a couple blocks away from the park there was a stand that would sell no joke fireworks to little kids! I learned to respect explosives while barely keeping all my digits!  Different times! 

I had no idea it was open until 1989. I think my last trip was in middle school. Great times! 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Loved the Comet as a kid, and just being at Crystal Beach in general. The yellow wooden coaster was cool too. Didn't like the Wild Mouse, thought I would fly out. Saw someone throw up on their own face riding the Rotor when the floor dropped away. The Scrambler was fun, but don't get squashed. We would always go through the big fun house last before leaving the park. The Magic Palace or something like that. At the end you would ride down this big carpeted belt and exit the building. 

As teenagers we hung out at cottages on Bay and Crystal Beach. Lots of good times.

I thought it was called the Magic Carpet.  I always wondered when they changed the name of it if they kept the carpet at the end.

One thing no one mentioned is the view from the Comet at the top just before the downhill started.  I liked looking at the lake and seeing schools of fish on a calm day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hey! Take it easy fella! It’s not my fault if I sweat off the sun screen and the garlic from last nights scampi 

is gushing from my pores in that heat! 

If I MUST go, it’s with a fast pass. Last time (many years ago now) we stayed at the Hard Rock and had the run of Universal. My son felt terrible that we were walking right past all the poor people sweating to death in line. I told him to cheer up, we spent his college funds on those passes so he’d better enjoy it! His eyes got wide, but I laughed too soon. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I thought it was called the Magic Carpet.  I always wondered when they changed the name of it if they kept the carpet at the end.

Vandalism and wear turned the ‘Magic Carpet’ into the ‘Magic Palace’.  When someone would slice the carpet, it would allow fingers and other parts to be drawn in and pinched, eventually it was decided to remove the rug and have people schlep down the stairs.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hey! Take it easy fella! It’s not my fault if I sweat off the sun screen and the garlic from last nights scampi 

is gushing from my pores in that heat! 

If I MUST go, it’s with a fast pass. Last time (many years ago now) we stayed at the Hard Rock and had the run of Universal. My son felt terrible that we were walking right past all the poor people sweating to death in line. I told him to cheer up, we spent his college funds on those passes so he’d better enjoy it! His eyes got wide, but I laughed too soon. 

Too funny... But seriously, there has to be a point where they stop selling FastPass, right... They can't sell too many.   So, when they reach that point, lines gotta kinda of even out.  

That should be the goal of everyone entering the park... To buy a FastPass ad on.  Max them out... Then everybody is miserable! 

Anarchy at the Amusement Park!

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

Someone in my family had some houses up the hill from the park at Crystal Beach. We spent our summers there for years in some tiny little cottage across from a school and my dad would drive in to work each day. I thought it was a treat that I got to sleep on the screened porch up front. Years later was I told it was only 2 bedrooms for the 5 of us and they stuck the littlest kid outside for lack of space. To this day I LOVE sleeping out in the summer when I have a porch that accommodates it. 

I loved the sweet rolls we’d get as we walked down the “hill” (to a little kid) towards the park!

The school was Crystal Beach Public School on Derby Road. Vacant for a few years now, demolished just last year or so.  All the Crystal Beach K-8 kids have been consolidated into Joseph Brant Public School in Ridgeway, rebuilt on the site of the old Ridgeway Public School.   The bakery was Pep’s, I believe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Vandalism and wear turned the ‘Magic Carpet’ into the ‘Magic Palace’.  When someone would slice the carpet, it would allow fingers and other parts to be drawn in and pinched, eventually it was decided to remove the rug and have people schlep down the stairs.

Was this attached to the Laff in the Dark? Or, wherever the air vents came up?

35 minutes ago, T&C said:

Was this attached to the Laff in the Dark? Or, wherever the air vents came up?

No, the ‘Magic Carpet / Castle’ was its own building, fairly close to the park’s main entrance at Ridgeway Rd. / Erie Rd., navigated on foot.  This was the building with the air jets.  ‘Laff in the Dark’was further south and east, tucked into the southeast part of the park, close to Ridgeway Rd.  It was a ride where passengers were in cars in a funhouse setting.  Although not part of the ride, this was where Laughing Sal and the piano playing skeleton were, visible from the outside.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, the ‘Magic Carpet / Castle’ was its own building, fairly close to the park’s main entrance at Ridgeway Rd. / Erie Rd., navigated on foot. Laff in the Dark was further south and east, tucked into the southeast part of the park, close to Ridgeway Rd.  It was a ride where passengers were in cars in a funhouse setting.

You triggered a nerve...

I got them mixed up, thanks for the clarification. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Magic Carpet was my favorite attraction at Crystal Beach, even more than the rides.    We always started and ended the day with it.    The rug seemed so high when we stood at the top looking down...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We used to do that all the time when my parents took us places, we had a cooler and sandwiches we would drag along in a wagon with us. Marineland in the falls would let you bring your stuff in with you. When we were at Canada's Wonderland last year we could bring a wagon with us but had to leave the cooler in the car, for lunch we went outside and sat on the hills near the entrance in the parking lot and ate, then went back in. Canada's Wonderland wouldn't let us bring in our own lifejackets for the kids for the water park, had to use theirs which took us forever to find any available when we went in there.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The school was Crystal Beach Public School on Derby Road. Vacant for a few years now, demolished just last year or so.  All the Crystal Beach K-8 kids have been consolidated into Joseph Brant Public School in Ridgeway, rebuilt on the site of the old Ridgeway Public School.   The bakery was Pep’s, I believe.

I was trying to picture the school, I think I remember it now but it was still in use. Guessing it closed when the new school opened. And I am assuming the land will be bought by one of the developer for a subdivision, lol

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

The Magic Carpet was my favorite attraction at Crystal Beach, even more than the rides.    We always started and ended the day with it.    The rug seemed so high when we stood at the top looking down...

We would end every family trip to CB riding down the Magic Carpet. I don't know when they took the carpet ride out. I think mid to late 70s was probably the last time I rode the rides but I never bothered with the Magic Carpet except as a kid with the family. The Comet was #1 attraction for me from the time I was tall enough.

Edited by Turk71

Didn't the Magic Carpet have a whistle on a balcony that produced a minor electrical shock when you pulled it?

They may have taken that "feature" out do to complaints.

I distinctly remember my first time through there and one of my siblings told me to pull the chain to activate the whistle.

When the minor shock came, I could't let go because I  couldn't open my hand to release it, so my sibling had to pull my hand off it.

Never touched again.

Edited by sherpa
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, LabattBlue said:

I road the Comet more than a few times as a teenager in the 70's, but it pales in comparison to it's predecessor, the Cyclone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Beach_Cyclone

My dad used to say that when I was a kid. Things like, "the Comet is nice, but it wasn't anything compared to the Cyclone. " I put those comments in the same category of how far he had to walk to school or how bad the blizzards were in the 30s and 40s.

Then I found this 10 years ago or so and realized he wasn't telling tales.

There's a certain element of every thrill ride where you say, "will this thing fall apart?" that adds to the excitement. In that category, the Cyclone scores an A+. Besides the bank turns and the twisting drops, it don't look like the most stable ride.

Edited by CookieG

30 minutes ago, CookieG said:

My dad used to say that when I was a kid. Things like, "the Comet is nice, but it wasn't anything compared to the Cyclone. " I put those comments in the same category of how far he had to walk to school or how bad the blizzards were in the 30s and 40s.

Then I found this 10 years ago or so and realized he wasn't telling tales.

There's a certain element of every thrill ride where you say, "will this thing fall apart?" that adds to the excitement. In that category, the Cyclone scores an A+. Besides the bank turns and the twisting drops, it don't look like the most stable ride.

The Cyclone top speed listed at 60 mph with a g-force of 4Gs, the Comet was 55 mph. The Comet was less scary, a much longer lasting ride, and could haul over 8 times the amount of riders per hour.