McShay - Bills pass on WR and take RB Swift in 1st.

PIZ

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Why is everyone forgetting about Christian Wade?

Talk about explosive....if that kid can learn the game the Bills won't need to draft or sign anyone.

And yes, upgrade the offensive line. Let's hope that this regime understands the importance of having an all pro offensive guard like they had with Incognito...only without the head case. Ford might just be that guy at RG so the upgrade is needed at RT. LG too if Spain isn't resigned. 

Can you imagine the LITERAL explosion of heads on this message board if the Bills do not get a FA RB or draft one?

Then Beane comes out in his press conference after the draft and he says, "No, we didn't need another RB!  We got Christian Wade!"... :)

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As you know the Saints got Kamara in round 3.   

The positionless/playmaker line of thinking was the rationale behind the drafting of CJ Spiller a decade ago............it's fine when you get that talent in the bonus rounds but you need franchise building blocks in those first and second rounds.    

It just rarely ever works out like that with RB's.......and despite his success the last I heard the Saints were very open to trading Kamara..........because in the end he's just a RB and teams don't like to pay those guys.

And I guess this is a good time to remind the thread that the two lead RB's in the SB were undrafted.

michael thomas was drafted in the second round. bills should draft second round wr's 

While I do agree that the Bills should add a quality running back this offseason to compliment Singletary, and that they should thereafter lean into being a dynamic run-heavy team (think 49ers)...I disagree that said quality running back should come via a 1st round pick. It is simply not a good use of such a premium resource, ESPECIALLY when we already have a dynamic feature back in Devin Singletary.

Instead, given McDermott's preference for having a veteran in each position room, I think the Bills should pick from one of the many young veteran running backs that will be available in free agency. I believe that the days of committing huge sums of money to running backs is over and that, as such, the Bills should be able to get a good, young player at that position on an affordable contract. Furthermore, they should structure the deal in such a way that they have an out as soon as it's Singletary contract extension time, so that at no point are they allocating a lot of money to more than one running back.

I like Jordan Howard, as an example. I don't think he'll command big money. He'd be a younger, more dynamic version of what Gore was to the offense this year. He has had multiple 1,000 yard+ seasons and is still just 25 years old.

Just say "no" to 1st round running backs.

Edited by Logic

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

you want an offense like san fran's where we just run it down people's throats all year?  get another big time rb.  btw they catch passes too. you can get a wr in the second round as well. 

A running attack like SF? Where 2 out of their 3 rb's were not even drafted? Only Tevin Coleman was drafted & he was in the 3rd round.

If anything SF's success has shown what is possible without having to draft a RB early in the draft.

5 hours ago, PIZ said:

If they can get a WR in FA and maybe one in Round 2, I would be OK with this. The Bills need an explosive RB.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/espn-todd-mcshay-buffalo-bills-dandre-swift/?fbclid=IwAR0AhXP1cCG0x6JE5RHQCfVK1SSwaQeY-G7ey3_dXlXbiAOx2ZTzlXCny7o

?

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Why is everyone forgetting about Christian Wade?

Talk about explosive....if that kid can learn the game the Bills won't need to draft or sign anyone.

And yes, upgrade the offensive line. Let's hope that this regime understands the importance of having an all pro offensive guard like they had with Incognito...only without the head case. Ford might just be that guy at RG so the upgrade is needed at RT. LG too if Spain isn't resigned. 

Nobody is forgetting Wade.

There is, however, zero reason to count on him making the 53-man roster.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I’m sure he’s good.  I’d definitely take him on day 3.  And I’m pretty sure the Saints also had a Hall of Fame QB and a stable of receiving talent...

They had (and have) very little receiving talent. Again, I’m not advocating for Swift but we need to understand that he makes this team significantly better. He’s a high end playmaker.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They had (and have) very little receiving talent. Again, I’m not advocating for Swift but we need to understand that he makes this team significantly better. He’s a high end playmaker.

There are typically gems at RB later in the draft who can really make teams significantly better too.

A guy like Antonio Gibson from Memphis might have as much untapped upside and be a mid-to-late round pick.

I hope they get two in this draft but none before round 3.

33 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Nobody should be drafting RB's in the first round anymore.

I agree 99% of the time. 
Every once in awhile there is a generational back that comes along. Problem is you get teams then like the Giants who take them in the top 5 when they have glaring other needs. 
Last half of the first round to a playoff team isn’t that far fetched. 
Bills have glaring needs at DE, WR, And CB to make a luxury pick like this. Not to mention Swift is good, but he doesn’t make me feel like Gurley did coming out. I am a UGA fan and was more impressed with Swift early in his college career. I think Swift will be good but think the Bills can find a great running mate to pair with Singletary in the 3-4 rounds.

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

A running attack like SF? Where 2 out of their 3 rb's were not even drafted? Only Tevin Coleman was drafted & he was in the 3rd round.

If anything SF's success has shown what is possible without having to draft a RB early in the draft.

where are the top ten rbs in the league this year drafted?   i'll hang up and listen

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are typically gems at RB later in the draft who can really make teams significantly better too.

A guy like Antonio Gibson from Memphis might have as much untapped upside and be a mid-to-late round pick.

I hope they get two in this draft but none before round 3.

I guess that I differ in that I want a specific skill at the position. I don’t care about “RB” per se. I care about guys that can hit a crease and go 68 yards. We don’t have that skill on our roster (with the possible exception of Wade). That skill you normally pay a premium for. I’d prefer Ruggs, for example, but don’t see him being there. The Bills don’t make nearly enough big plays.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess that I differ in that I want a specific skill at the position. I don’t care about “RB” per se. I care about guys that can hit a crease and go 68 yards. We don’t have that skill on our roster (with the possible exception of Wade). That skill you normally pay a premium for. I’d prefer Ruggs, for example, but don’t see him being there. The Bills don’t make nearly enough big plays.

Right. We need dudes that opposing DCs worry about.

Right now, we’ve got one: the QB.

That’s it.

23 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree 99% of the time. 
Every once in awhile there is a generational back that comes along. Problem is you get teams then like the Giants who take them in the top 5 when they have glaring other needs. 
Last half of the first round to a playoff team isn’t that far fetched. 
Bills have glaring needs at DE, WR, And CB to make a luxury pick like this. Not to mention Swift is good, but he doesn’t make me feel like Gurley did coming out. I am a UGA fan and was more impressed with Swift early in his college career. I think Swift will be good but think the Bills can find a great running mate to pair with Singletary in the 3-4 rounds.

Glaring needs at CB? Hardly. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a while.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Glaring needs at CB? Hardly. That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a while.

Maybe not glaring, but CB is definitely a sneaky need. Kevin Johnson may be gone in FA, and even if he re-signs I'd be wary about him staying healthy for a full season if he takes over as CB2 (given his history in Houston). And who knows if Levi Wallace will settle down should Johnson not be there to rotate with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Really? Besides Tre there isn’t a real solid starter under contract. CB 2 is a very real need. 
Ask yourself this, if Tre gets hurt, how do you feel about the secondary?

• Like (+1) 1