PSLs in Atlanta

4 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Is there any pro sport that Atlanta really cares about? They lost hockey, The Hawks always have empty seats, the Braves can't sell out playoff games and now your saying the Falcons are a afterthought.

Nope.  It's the capital of the south, and the south cares about NASCAR and college football.  Except for the transplants, but none of them are converting to root for Atlanta teams.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Plus, the on-field product flat out sucks.

You talk about fatigue from overstimulation, and while I definitely agree, at the same time I could (and do) watch College Football on Thursday Nights, Friday Nights, ALL day Saturday and anytime else it is on and never get burnt out on it. Because the on-field product is far more entertaining. More diverse teams with different schemes instead of every team doing the same thing. And far better officiating, or at least refs that dont look like they are trying to fix games.

The NFL cant even define a catch, nor get PI calls right even on replays without the refs revolting. It's just becoming a garbage league because of bad leadership.

Oh, I certainly agree with you here. My statement is just part of the problem. Part of the reason I ditched my seasons was because I noticed the last 5 seasons or so of home games, no matter the score, by mid third quarter I was pretty much ready to leave. And I used to be a ‘stay til 0:00 no matter what’ kind of fan.

My house is the same with college hoops over pro bball, for pretty similar reasons. Better entertainment altogether.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The NFL cant even define a catch, nor get PI calls right even on replays without the refs revolting. It's just becoming a garbage league because of bad leadership.

they figure out which call will make Bills fans the most angry and roll with it

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Is there any pro sport that Atlanta really cares about? They lost hockey, The Hawks always have empty seats, the Braves can't sell out playoff games and now your saying the Falcons are a afterthought.

Lost hockey....twice I believe. Pro sports in general do not fare well here, but on a college football Saturday my old tennis team had a hard time getting enough guys to fill out all the spots. I haven’t played with them for years, but I still get the emails because on Saturday’s in the Fall  everyone treats it like Sundays in WNY. 

But yes, one pro sport does VERY well, and that is soccer. If you offered me free tickets to go to the sport of my choice, that would definitely be the one. I never much cared for soccer until I learned to appreciate it through my son’s travel team and high school. Even if that had never happened, these games are a BLAST and they do a great job with the game day experience. You literally never sit down during play, and the joint is rockin’!!!

Edited by Augie

Don’t feel bad for the Falcons.  The article talked about the team reselling PSLs that we’re defaulted on or given up by non-renewal of season tickets, but I want to drive the reality of that home.  The selling point of a PSL is that the people who attend the games pay more toward the stadium.  That’s fine.  It makes sense.  But only a single sale of each PSL is on the ledger to offset the cost of building the stadium.  So it actually pays to have a team that fluctuates between winning and losing over time.

That’s because the PSLs sell out when the team does well.  Then when it does poorly people can’t sell their PSLs and they have to chose between forfeiting them or continuing to buy season tickets that they otherwise would not buy.  Either way the team comes out ahead.  They’re selling more tickets than they should in down years and they get to resell the forfeited PSLs.  They also get to sell the tickets attached to forfeited PSLs while they wait on new buyers.  It’s a horrible racket.  I got taken once.  Never again. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

And that was when the new stadium opened. I know the STADIUM is still there, because I’ve been there several times.......for soccer. AWESOME experience! Much more juice than a Falcons game. 

The Falcons are an afterthought in Atlanta. They got a little attention when they got to the Super Bowl, but have a weak season and most people forget they exist. It’s a town of transplants and nobody really cares about them. T

I feel this way about every team in SEC territory except the Saints. Fan bases in Nashville, Carolina, Jax, TB, and ATL are all very, very soft. I'll throw Miami in there too. The Dolphins' stadium always looks half empty (and let's not forget the Marlins and the Rays). 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I feel this way about every team in SEC territory except the Saints. Fan bases in Nashville, Carolina, Jax, TB, and ATL are all very, very soft. I'll throw Miami in there too. The Dolphins' stadium always looks half empty (and let's not forget the Marlins and the Rays). 

As much as I despise the Fish I wouldn't lump Miami in with that group.  They're an old time AFL team with a storied history -- similar to what Buffalo went through, they are simply in the midst of a horrid drought.  If they ever become reasonably competitive I think the fans will come back.  But the difference between Buffalo and Miami is that even when the team stinks, folks in Buffalo don't have much else to do in the winter.  In Miami there are few other options.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Nope.  It's the capital of the south, and the south cares about NASCAR and college football.  Except for the transplants, but none of them are converting to root for Atlanta teams.

One thing I'll say about Georgia: man, is youth baseball big there. Like, really big, and it's something I know a lot about. It's partly because of Perfect Game, youth baseball's biggest tournament franchise, which has its home base there. I spent a week at a Perfect Game tournament in Atlanta between my son's junior and senior HS years, and my god, what an eye opener. Hundreds of teams from all over the country, plus MLB scouts everywhere. After that, I began to investigate, and I noticed that Georgia-based players are HEAVILY over-represented on MLB rosters. It is unbelievable how many MLB players that state pumps out. 

The Braves do reasonably well: https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/how-braves-attendance-measured-2019/xQLIFZHfwx78yp3E6LKSZM/

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Miami is a terrible pro sports town. I would add to your list the Panthers as well. Nobody goes to there games unless they are playing a team that brings in a ton of fans. Next time the Rangers play the Panthers in Florida take a look at how many Rangers fans are there. Place sounds like MSG South.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

As much as I despise the Fish I wouldn't lump Miami in with that group.  They're an old time AFL team with a storied history -- similar to what Buffalo went through, they are simply in the midst of a horrid drought.  If they ever become reasonably competitive I think the fans will come back.  But the difference between Buffalo and Miami is that even when the team stinks, folks in Buffalo don't have much else to do in the winter.  In Miami there are few other options.

I used to feel this way. Not anymore. Miami has a weak fan base. I don't blame people from there; I just think that settlement patterns in the South (more spread out) plus such a large portion of elderly people makes a difference. Also, society in Miami is pretty atomized - a constant in-flow of transients/new arrivals. 

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Miami is a terrible pro sports town. I would add to your list the Panthers as well. Nobody goes to there games unless they are playing a team that brings in a ton of fans. Next time the Rangers play the Panthers in Florida take a look at how many Rangers fans are there. Place sounds like MSG South.

Agreed - forgot to include Charlotte. I meant to.

I've never been to Rich Stadium (is that even what it's called now?) ....How old is it?  Is a renovation a viable option?  Arrowhead in KC opened in 1972....and has been renovated a few times....every once in a great while the local politicians talk about new stadiums, but that's almost always in regards to moving downtown.....and even that talk has subsided as KC's downtown has rivived nicely on it's own without stadiums.

Arrowhead continues to be a really good place to see a game and the renovations have kept it that way.....no need for a brand new stadium....and in this era of more and more people opting to stay home...not sure new makes sense?  IDK for you guys...taht's why I'm asking...curious what your situation is there.  From afar....I always think the NFL is lurking around in the background, waiting for any good reason to move them to Toronto.

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

I've never been to Rich Stadium (is that even what it's called now?) ....How old is it?  Is a renovation a viable option?  Arrowhead in KC opened in 1972....and has been renovated a few times....every once in a great while the local politicians talk about new stadiums, but that's almost always in regards to moving downtown.....and even that talk has subsided as KC's downtown has rivived nicely on it's own without stadiums.

Arrowhead continues to be a really good place to see a game and the renovations have kept it that way.....no need for a brand new stadium....and in this era of more and more people opting to stay home...not sure new makes sense?  IDK for you guys...taht's why I'm asking...curious what your situation is there.  From afar....I always think the NFL is lurking around in the background, waiting for any good reason to move them to Toronto.

It used to be Rich Stadium then was Ralph Wilson Stadium and now New Era Field. Place opened in 1973.

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think Arrowhead and New Era (1973) are basically the same age. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I used to feel this way. Not anymore. Miami has a weak fan base. I don't blame people from there; I just think that settlement patterns in the South (more spread out) plus such a large portion of elderly people makes a difference. Also, society in Miami is pretty atomized - a constant in-flow of transients/new arrivals. 

I hear ya.  I just feel like there are still lots of Miami fans around.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Plus, the on-field product flat out sucks.

You talk about fatigue from overstimulation, and while I definitely agree, at the same time I could (and do) watch College Football on Thursday Nights, Friday Nights, ALL day Saturday and anytime else it is on and never get burnt out on it. Because the on-field product is far more entertaining. More diverse teams with different schemes instead of every team doing the same thing. And far better officiating, or at least refs that dont look like they are trying to fix games.

Thursday Night Football is exhibition quality. Going to 17 games will be the beginning of the end

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

I agree with your premise although I wouldn't say the league wants 32 Dallas or NE's. I do think the NFL wants all teams exploring and utilizing as many avenues as possible to increase revenue and in the case of Buffalo there is much left on the table right now. The Raiders moved to Vegas and created new lanes of money. Vegas won't be a top grossing franchise but they increased their lanes. 

Buffalo fans need to face the fact the lanes will have to increase at some point and at least the Pegula's seem smart enough to not force something dumb like PSL's and will consider renovations over a new stadium. But it will cost more regardless and the NFL will want more options for families because they produce more revenue then singular fans.

So basically I pay 5k for a PSL but lets say it then guranatees 5 years of season tickets at $1500 for a pair with no price increase? Is that what your saying

Yes- it would make it much more palatable for me- especially if it is for 10 years or more

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 9:02 AM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

PSLs remind me of timeshares - rarely a good deal and very hard to sell with seller competing with you when you try to sell.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:33 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

I just read about this in the NY Post . They trash PSL's at every opportunity and point out how the Jets and Giants "waiting list" dried up with them.

Atlanta Falcons patrons have defaulted on more than $32 million of PSL purchases. Another town to learn that Roger Goodell’s claim that PSLs are “good investments” was bogus.

Roger Goodell is very like timeshare salespeople selling in promise and potential.  Most PSL advocates appear to just want people to join them in the "fools club".

On 1/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

If PSLs were required to get seasons in Buffalo, I would be out so quickly. Tickets are expensive enough and if had to pay another 5k for the right to pay another couple thousand dollars, I honestly wouldn't even consider it. 

With how many years I've had to eat hundreds of dollars on the secondary market when the team has been bad or the weather sucks, I can't think of a worse investment than PSLs

But we have heard that there are long lines of people who would pay for PSLs and increased prices if only Bills would build a new dome stadium.

Personally I think if you need a dome stadium there are a few being unused right now which team could play in ...

19 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Don’t feel bad for the Falcons.  The article talked about the team reselling PSLs that we’re defaulted on or given up by non-renewal of season tickets, but I want to drive the reality of that home.  The selling point of a PSL is that the people who attend the games pay more toward the stadium.  That’s fine.  It makes sense.  But only a single sale of each PSL is on the ledger to offset the cost of building the stadium.  So it actually pays to have a team that fluctuates between winning and losing over time.

That’s because the PSLs sell out when the team does well.  Then when it does poorly people can’t sell their PSLs and they have to chose between forfeiting them or continuing to buy season tickets that they otherwise would not buy.  Either way the team comes out ahead.  They’re selling more tickets than they should in down years and they get to resell the forfeited PSLs.  They also get to sell the tickets attached to forfeited PSLs while they wait on new buyers.  It’s a horrible racket.  I got taken once.  Never again. 

Plus if you are $nyder you try to resell the tickets and sue the original buyers trying to get that money as well.

I bought a timeshare in Hawaii and we were told that all land in Hawaii is leased and on future date we would have option of keeping it paying share of new land lease cost or forfeiting it.   Three years before lease renewal date they wanted our share of renewal lease money and we told them "No, per agreement we are not planning on renewing" and they refused to let us use our timeshare so we stopped paying biannual assessment.  We got letter that if we did not pay they would take us to court and place something on credit report.  My response "No play, no pay. Place it on credit report so I can dispute it.  You will need to try to collect money in Virginia small claims court and Virginia courts in past have rejected out-of-state attempts to force timeshare "owners' to continue paying when they gave up deed."

PATRIOTS-HEAD-TAT-VIA-CBSSPORTS.jpg

The only fans crazy enough to pay for PSLs instead of looking after their families are guys like this guy. And he doesn't exactly exude robust mental health.

That's why PSLs will only work in markets with a large corporate base. Its' very telling that PSLs are having problems in Atlanta because some of the world's biggest companies are there.

No idea about the PSLs but I bet there are plenty of DSLs down there...

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Plus if you are $nyder you try to resell the tickets and sue the original buyers trying to get that money as well.

I bought a timeshare in Hawaii and we were told that all land in Hawaii is leased and on future date we would have option of keeping it paying share of new land lease cost or forfeiting it.   Three years before lease renewal date they wanted our share of renewal lease money and we told them "No, per agreement we are not planning on renewing" and they refused to let us use our timeshare so we stopped paying biannual assessment.  We got letter that if we did not pay they would take us to court and place something on credit report.  My response "No play, no pay. Place it on credit report so I can dispute it.  You will need to try to collect money in Virginia small claims court and Virginia courts in past have rejected out-of-state attempts to force timeshare "owners' to continue paying when they gave up deed."

So what did they ultimately do?

On 1/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, Augie said:

Lost hockey....twice I believe. Pro sports in general do not fare well here, but on a college football Saturday my old tennis team had a hard time getting enough guys to fill out all the spots. I haven’t played with them for years, but I still get the emails because on Saturday’s in the Fall  everyone treats it like Sundays in WNY. 

But yes, one pro sport does VERY well, and that is soccer. If you offered me free tickets to go to the sport of my choice, that would definitely be the one. I never much cared for soccer until I learned to appreciate it through my son’s travel team and high school. Even if that had never happened, these games are a BLAST and they do a great job with the game day experience. You literally never sit down during play, and the joint is rockin’!!!

Dont put that on the fans. That was 100% ALL management.

The Thrashers had plenty of season ticket holders, dedicated fans, and better attendance then the Winnipeg Jets (where the Thrashers moved) currently has.

That was an ownership team who was only about Basketball and didn't know what to do with the hockey team they inherited.