Crazy Chiefs team building stat

YoloinOhio

The 2017 Bills made the playoffs with just 2 players the organization had selected in round 1............and they weren't seasoned performers like Fisher and Mahomes..........they were a struggling second year DL in Shaq Lawson and a rookie in Tre White.

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 2017 Bills made the playoffs with just 2 players the organization had selected in round 1............and they weren't seasoned performers like Fisher and Mahomes..........they were a struggling second year DL in Shaq Lawson and a rookie in Tre White.

I continue to say that, although QB is extremely important, success isn't about 1st round talent or any particular position(s).  It's having great coaching and a system that makes it easier to find good players by narrowing down their fit.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

12 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I continue to say that, regardless of position (although QB is extremely important), success isn't about 1st round talent or any particular position(s).  It's having great coaching and a system that makes it easier to find good players by narrowing down their fit.

In terms of value........first round picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent...........but mainly because the expectations are so high.

Everyone assumes they will turn to solid gold before they are used but then they only hit about 50% of the time(the number getting their 5th year option picked up) and in many cases even the hits really fail to move the needle much for the franchise as a whole because the aim was too low.

That said it's the lottery ticket with the best odds to get franchise changing talent at a great price.............so always use them on guys with that kind of ceiling.     Big money positions that you will otherwise struggle to fill in UFA.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In terms of value........first round picks are the most overrated method of acquiring talent...........but mainly because the expectations are so high.

Everyone assumes they will turn to solid gold before they are used but then they only hit about 50% of the time(the number getting their 5th year option picked up) and in many cases even the hits really fail to move the needle much for the franchise as a whole because the aim was too low.

That said it's the lottery ticket with the best odds to get franchise changing talent at a great price.............so always use them on guys with that kind of ceiling.     Big money positions that you will otherwise struggle to fill in UFA.  

I think that's a large part of why 50% fail.  Because of the low price, high reward potential, teams tend to try to find the most supremely talented player in the first round, rather than sacrificing a bit of talent for fit.  BUT, since it IS a free lottery ticket and the most talented players are definitely in that first round, no harm in taking the shot, as you'll have numerous opportunities to get other good players via various means.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

5 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I think that's a large part of why 50% fail.  Because of the low price, high reward potential, teams tend to try to find the most supremely talented player in the first round, rather than sacrificing a bit of talent for fit.  BUT, since it IS a free lottery ticket and the most talented players are definitely in that first round, no harm in taking the shot, as you'll have numerous opportunities to get other good players via various means.

I don't really know if the splits of players taken in round one from high dollar positional value......QB/ElitePassRush/WR1/CB1/LT......vs.lower dollar positional value.......RB/S/DT/OG/RT/MLB/BaseDE/OffBallOLB even have a different success rate in terms of getting their option picked up.    

49 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Outside of his preseason predictions he has some good content. I think one time he also showed us a bit of his wifey. That was fun. 

Thanks!  My predictions weren’t that good this year, but I did have KC winning it all so I might finish on good note.

Also, I did post a couple pictures of my wife here somewhere.  ?

On 1/26/2020 at 6:39 PM, All_Pro_Bills said:

Consistently trading your first rounders is usually not a receipe for success.  Rather than chalk it up to skill and expertise at player evaluation I'd say it's more likely to be good luck or random chance.  It might work 1 time out of 100.

lol WTF?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This might be just as crazy. Total rebuild in 3 years. 

They had a scheme and an identity and they got those players that fit. I think they've done that on defense, but have failed do that on offense because they don't have an identity so how do you know you have the right players?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m curious as to what you want that coach to teach him. Not arguing with you; just curious.

In 2018, the Bills QB coach was David Culley who's experience coaching QBs consisted of 1 year at a small college program back in the 1980s.  He had other coaching experience but wasn't specifically a QB coach.  Since position coaches are charged with teaching/improving players' techniques, and Allen certainly needed help with his passing mechanics, the Bills should have brought in an experienced position coach for QBs, even if that meant reorganizing the offensive coaching staff.

With an adequate QB coach, Ken Dorsey, Allen made spectacular progress in 2019.  I think that he could have made even more progress if he'd had better coaching in his rookie season.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope the Niners curb stomp them.

Otherwise this board will be unbearable with the "We should have drafted Mahomes" nonsense which pops up around here anyways. 

Edited by DJB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, the guy averaging 100 yards/ postseason game the last 2 years isn’t a factor at all!  

get the stud qb and everything else falls into place.  Hill slipped because he’s human garbage.  I’m not sure good Kelce was in college so that is awesome value.  But everything other position can be filled out without using major draft picks once you have the star qb.

Have you not heard the recording where the chick basically admits that she lied about both incidents?  The Chiefs cut Kareem Hunt for 1% of what Hill was accused of.  Hill is a dumbass for staying with her, but he’s not a monster.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

In 2018, the Bills QB coach was David Culley who's experience coaching QBs consisted of 1 year at a small college program back in the 1980s.  He had other coaching experience but wasn't specifically a QB coach.  Since position coaches are charged with teaching/improving players' techniques, and Allen certainly needed help with his passing mechanics, the Bills should have brought in an experienced position coach for QBs, even if that meant reorganizing the offensive coaching staff.

With an adequate QB coach, Ken Dorsey, Allen made spectacular progress in 2019.  I think that he could have made even more progress if he'd had better coaching in his rookie season.

He also had one of the worst WR corps in NFL history and a bottom-five offensive line. It’s unbelievable that we threw him into the fire with that offense around him, but at least last offseason’s OL and WR signings made it clear that Beane recognized what Allen needs to succeed (and has done a very good job with regards to FA value/draft hits).

Having a roster that is generally above-average at every position + quality depth puts us in a position for elite players to add maximum value, unlike the Whaley years where elite talents like Watkins and Gilmore were just talented players on middling teams instead of pieces that can take a good unit to elite.

SF and Tennessee were able to win with their QBs throwing for c. 100 yards, despite the concept that you need gunslingers to compete in today’s league, because they have few weaknesses and versatile, deep rosters that improved dramatically with the additions or emergence of a handful of players (Bosa is outstanding, but is so much more dangerous with the solid line around him, and Sanders/Samuel turned an ok offense with a good line and quality set of running backs into an efficient and versatile unit). Meanwhile, KC has 2 elite WR talents backed up by talent with speed to burn, making it so difficult for defenses to contain the best QB in the league and a few decent RBs, and can keep their skill position players fresher than the defenses thanks to the depth. A poor defense with elite, physical rushers in Jones and Clark can put on the pressure and be aggressive in trying to get the ball back into the hands of Mahomes as quickly as possible, forcing the opponent to try to keep up with their pace and big-play ability in a shootout. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Otherwise this board will be unbearable with the "We should have drafted Mahomes" nonsense which pops up around here anyways. 

I was hoping for 49ers-Titans, and would have loved to see Ryan Tannehill vs. an ex-Patriot (especially with Brady looking done, though they wouldn’t have been able to keep Jimmy G in FA) in the Super Bowl.

Seeing guys who throw for 100 yards and win multiple playoff games is refreshing, and an especially satisfying rebuttal to the clowns obsessed with the fact that Allen has never thrown for 300 yards. Mahomes and that offense are awesome to watch, but it would have been incredible to see smashmouth football from teams with rookies as their best wideouts, and I love seeing what a change of scenery can do for QBs and hidden gems like Mostert who had to scrap for a chance to even make a roster. 

The greatest draft in NFL history was the 1986 49ers draft and they didn't have a first round pick.

And there only 2nd round pick was a starter, but a rotational guy.

The rest of the draft produced 7 starters. Crazy stuff.

But it goes to show you what it means to have great scouts to work with a legendary HC (Bill Walsh).

10 hours ago, DJB said:

That "nonsense" is going to be around until Mahomes retires unless Josh Allen becomes an elite QB himself.   Deal with it.

7 hours ago, ny33 said:

I was hoping for 49ers-Titans, and would have loved to see Ryan Tannehill vs. an ex-Patriot (especially with Brady looking done, though they wouldn’t have been able to keep Jimmy G in FA) in the Super Bowl.

Seeing guys who throw for 100 yards and win multiple playoff games is refreshing, and an especially satisfying rebuttal to the clowns obsessed with the fact that Allen has never thrown for 300 yards. Mahomes and that offense are awesome to watch, but it would have been incredible to see smashmouth football from teams with rookies as their best wideouts, and I love seeing what a change of scenery can do for QBs and hidden gems like Mostert who had to scrap for a chance to even make a roster. 

Seeing guys throw for 100 yards is refreshing??? How old are you?  75?  It’s garbage football. 

10 hours ago, DJB said:

We could have traded for Jimmy G too!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Hope that your blind optimism is correct..

I'm much more optimistic about Allen's chances of becoming an elite QB than I was before 2019.  If he can again make significant strides in the off season and throughout next season, he'll be an excellent QB.  This past season, there were limits to what the Bills could do on offense because they didn't have enough good weapons on offense, and that may have held Allen back. 

One of the keys to Mahomes' success has been the quality of the weapons available to him -- and how many he has.  On another team, Mahomes would still shine, but probably not nearly as brightly.  I want to see the Bills give Allen the opportunity to shine as brightly as he can by giving him more and better targets supported by a running game that's more than Singletary and a has been and a never was ...  an upgrade on the OL wouldn't hurt, either. 

If the Bills don't support Allen well enough next year to let him demonstrate just how much ability he really has, how can they honestly evaluate him, good or bad, when it's time to move beyond his rookie contract?   They need to figure out if they have a $10-15 million QB or a $30-35 million QB, and next season would be the best year to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, eball said:

Can anyone answer the question of why @Zerovoltz is hanging around this forum?

Just odd. 

Seriously. Tired of fans from other teams coming on this board. You ever notice it’s only when they are winning? They some how think they are smarter at football because their team is successful.
I bet we don’t see a ton of Pats fans here next year when they are down.

only exception is Icebowl. That guy is a decent poster and always very complimenting to the Bills. 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:57 PM, Zerovoltz said:

........KC gave up fewer points than the niners did this year.......(8th fewest in the NFL)  KC also has a top 10 pass D.  Not exactly trash.  Held Travis Henry to 69 Yards last week.  Pretty trashy.

Isn’t Travis in prison?

• Haha (+1) 1