The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I actually think it’s an issue bigger than Trump. This generation thinks so much of themselves (and believes in so little) that they are dying for something REALLY MONUMENTAL to occur during their short time on the planet. Global warming, transformational societal change, Covid 19 all stem from the same need to find meaning.  They believe that the American Dream has passed them by so they’re left with a need for other sorts of relevance, importance, or whatever you choose to call it. They’re dying for their generation to be famous for something!

There is some truth to the need, for some, to be part of something monumental. Global warming or other causes are looked at in the same vein as the civil rights movement of the 60s. 

However, I think this constant fear exhibited by the safe space crowd is less about biologically programmed systems and more about environmental influences

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People please!!!!  The fight or flight response has NOTHING at all to do with you and your neighbors staying 72 inches apart while trying to buy a garden hose at Home Depot! Sheeeesh!!!

Was this directed at me? I was arguing the same thing....

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The fight / flight response is a specific physiological reaction in response to a perceived threat. It is not designed to be frequently activated or activated for long periods of time. Humans are not wired to live in fear.

I'll throw shosh a bone.  I think that he's mixing the concepts of innate human behavior.  Humans are not wired to live in fear, as he stated.  But we're wired to immediately respond to fear-induced stimuli. 

I think he got the science points mixed up on why the major news channels are pushing fear based programming, because that generates the flight or fight response in their viewers' minds and keeps them tuned in for a longer period.  If the news wasn't sensationalized, the ratings would drop.  \

You wouldn't believe the dangers I found out in their news segments, and I will tell you all about it in my next post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I beg to differ....the American Left has been living in fear for the last three plus years. They’ve completely missed out on one the longest sustained states of peace and prosperity in American history. 

Isn’t the military action in Afghanistan ongoing? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The fight or flight response is still very much biologically programmed within us.  I'm not sure what you are talking about in regard to being poorly adapted, biologically speaking, to deal with non-threats. 

Perhaps you can provide an example. 

It is well covered in the evolutionary bio literature but stated succinctly, our bodies are wired to react to fight or flight in stress by activating a hormone chain that stops digestion, increases heart rate, releases all the action hormones for a 25 second moment that can save us from the wild dog. 

But in modern times in lower level stress situations like “I don’t have money to pay the visa bill,” our bodies churn out the fight/flight hormones in lower quantities but over a much longer time period than we were geared to handle. The title of the one book I mentioned above makes the point well, “Why zebras don’t get ulcers.” Zebras don’t have a “hum” of low mental stress like many people do. 

This is getting way off topic but it’s a great field and the Stanford course Sapolsky teaches is well worth 30 or so hours. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

It is well covered in the evolutionary bio literature but stated succinctly, our bodies are wired to react to fight or flight in stress by activating a hormone chain that stops digestion, increases heart rate, releases all the action hormones for a 25 second moment that can save us from the wild dog. 

But in modern times in lower level stress situations like “I don’t have money to pay the visa bill,” our bodies churn out the fight/flight hormones in lower quantities but over a much longer time period than we were geared to handle. The title of the one book I mentioned above makes the point well, “Why zebras don’t get ulcers.” Zebras don’t have a “hum” of low mental stress like many people do. 

This is getting way off topic but it’s a great field and the Stanford course Sapolsky teaches is well worth 30 or so hours. 

And none of that, in any way, has anything to do with whether or nor our natural state as humans is to live in fear. Which was your original, wrong, statement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And none of that, in any way, has anything to do with whether or nor our natural state as humans is to live in fear. Which was your original, wrong, statement. 

If you watch much nature television, all creatures live with a certain state of situational awareness (fear). Humans, being at the top of the food chain, have less of this instinct than other species.  But....wearing a mask during a health outbreak, is in no way related to this 'natural state', which is by it's very nature and definition instinctive, and not pre-planned out via the internet purchase of a mask.

2 hours ago, GG said:

I'll throw shosh a bone.  I think that he's mixing the concepts of innate human behavior.  Humans are not wired to live in fear, as he stated.  But we're wired to immediately respond to fear-induced stimuli. 

Well said. I stated it a few times in subsequent posts in other ways. 

2 hours ago, GG said:

I think he got the science points mixed up on why the major news channels are pushing fear based programming, because that generates the flight or fight response in their viewers' minds and keeps them tuned in for a longer period.  If the news wasn't sensationalized, the ratings would drop.  \

I didn't say anything about news programming--I leave that bit of fun for others.

Seeing the aggregate tests bounce around in the 350K-450K range for a while now.  I really wonder if we're about maxed out on testing until the rapid tests come online. I'd have thought we would get higher but if cases fall, we may not need to.

5 hours ago, Hedge said:

2nd video below, proving the point.

Sound man has a mask on.

How many sound men does it take to change a light bulb?

1 2 3 7 4 6 5 9 ...

5 hours ago, Hedge said:

2nd video below, proving the point.

Sound man has a mask on.

How !any sounded does it take to change a light bulb?

1 2 3 7 4 6 5 9 ...

Edited by reddogblitz

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Sound man has a mask on.

1 2 3 7 4 6 5 9 ...

Sound man has a mask on.

1 2 3 7 4 6 5 9 ...

At least 2

• Haha (+1) 2