The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, snafu said:

...until any one of your teenagers/twentysomethings call you on your cell phone...

It is like a jump-scare every time one of their names pops up on my screen.

:beer:

Daughter goes to college in Granville Ohio. Her freshman year, about end of October, i get a call with caller ID "Granville OH"  oh my, i had  heart attack. Pick that phone up so fast, was terrified...fund raising!!!! 

Happened 2 more times, finally caught on and no longer answer the phone LOL

1 hour ago, Magox said:

This would be interesting if they could demonstrably prove this to be the case.

I have not dug into the detail here, but i remember posting prolly end of March, this compnay called BioBot was doing claiming this worked in Boston. If i remember correctly, they were already using to spot TB in devloping countries. And I am almost positive large college campuses will be using the tech to spot outbreaks before they become too large.

This is all i could find on the quick

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a31468624/covid-19-spread-sewer-poop/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

my son  is part of the skate community and they continue to impress me.  Society has long painted them as slackers and stoners, but go to a skate park and see how hard they work at landing a move, or watch how they demonstrate to a young kid just starting out.   hell i had some 40+ something dude on a bmx bike offer to let me give it a whirl.  They are a very cool bunch of people and they range in age to even past my old age of 56

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Different ages, races, and genders working together to rebuild their community. There is a lesson here.

Edited by The Poojer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Daughter goes to college in Granville Ohio. Her freshman year, about end of October, i get a call with caller ID "Granville OH"  oh my, i had  heart attack. Pick that phone up so fast, was terrified...fund raising!!!! 

Happened 2 more times, finally caught on and no longer answer the phone LOL

I always end up answering "what's the matter"?  I figure texts are benign, but phone calls take effort.

My oldest one can't figure it out why I answer that way.  I tell her that she's looking into her future, she just doesn't know it yet.

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

different outcomes, like below

2020-05-26.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the common denominator that some would 'like' it to be. Comparing everything by State is not very accurate at all.  For example, California actually has a really low death total in comparison to its population, and NY, NJ, CT, Mass, and PA are all just one large outbreak centered around NY City. I've always been curious about Chicago and Detroit, which are of course nowhere near either coast. It's in those two cities that the real answers are to be found.

5 hours ago, shoshin said:

Humans before the most recent generations lived because they saw a stick in the grass and moved away from it because they thought it might be a snake. Biologically, we fire up our fight/flight response at the slightest danger and are constantly on alert for danger.

We are not biologically wired well to live in the current safe atmosphere we live in, which is almost entirely not fraught with danger. We run at low level anxiety that is biologically very bad for us: "Zebras don't get ulcers." 

We are human and have the ability to push against our biology but it's still how we are naturally wired. 

The fight / flight response is a specific physiological reaction in response to a perceived threat. It is not designed to be frequently activated or activated for long periods of time. Humans are not wired to live in fear.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

The fight / flight response is a specific physiological reaction in response to a perceived threat. It is not designed to be frequently activated or activated for long periods of time. Humans are not wired to live in fear.

...and more often than not, they'll roll the dice and buck what authorities are telling them to do anyhow......

• Like (+1) 2

I beg to differ....the American Left has been living in fear for the last three plus years. They’ve completely missed out on one the longest sustained states of peace and prosperity in American history. 

• Haha (+1) 3

if we were wired that way, do you think there'd be oral sex?????  ?

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I beg to differ....the American Left has been living in fear for the last three plus years. They’ve completely missed out on one the longest sustained states of peace and prosperity in American history. 

And look at the irreparable cognitive damage they have inflicted upon themselves....:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The fight / flight response is a specific physiological reaction in response to a perceived threat. It is not designed to be frequently activated or activated for long periods of time.

Exactly, and yet the way in which modern humans undergo stress creates long term low level fight/flight reactions. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Humans are not wired to live in fear.

We are wired to activate fear reactions in response to perceived threats. We live in a world where the lion is not lurking in the weeds and thus are biologically poorly adapted to the non-threats of everyday life. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

And look at the irreparable cognitive damage they have inflicted upon themselves....:lol:

I actually think it’s an issue bigger than Trump. This generation thinks so much of themselves (and believes in so little) that they are dying for something REALLY MONUMENTAL to occur during their short time on the planet. Global warming, transformational societal change, Covid 19 all stem from the same need to find meaning.  They believe that the American Dream has passed them by so they’re left with a need for other sorts of relevance, importance, or whatever you choose to call it. They’re dying for their generation to be famous for something!

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Exactly, and yet the way in which modern humans undergo stress creates long term low level fight/flight reactions. 

We are wired to activate fear reactions in response to perceived threats. We live in a world where the lion is not lurking in the weeds and thus are biologically poorly adapted to the non-threats of everyday life. 

The fight or flight response is still very much biologically programmed within us.  I'm not sure what you are talking about in regard to being poorly adapted, biologically speaking, to deal with non-threats. 

Perhaps you can provide an example. 

The fight or flight response is still very much biologically programmed within us.  I'm not sure what you are talking about in regard to being poorly adapted, biologically speaking, to deal with non-threats. 

Perhaps you can provide an example. 

People please!!!!  The fight or flight response has NOTHING at all to do with you and your neighbors staying 72 inches apart while trying to buy a garden hose at Home Depot! Sheeeesh!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1