The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

@Kemp you still didn’t answer.

Your answer, so far, was:

(a) Trump mentioned a plan (no details given)

(b) (after hearing details) people weren’t going to follow his plan

My question, if as you say people aren’t going to self-quarantine, still stands.  It is the same question I asked when you first brought this up much earlier today:  What quarantine plan should have existed?

This is my 3rd and last time answering.

I have no idea how Trump planned to do it. It was up to him to come up with the specifics. When Ebola was an issue, Christie quarantined people, I believe at the airport. 

Certainly there are more people involved in this pandemic, but if we were to protect America from being overun with the virus, Trump and his people should have made the necessary arrangements. 

If you believe this couldn't be done, I disagree, and the fact that it wasn't done, opened the floodgates.

What you seem to be implying is that it couldn't have worked, which raises the question as to what Trump meant when he said it. This would in turn mean, that as usual, Trump was merely saying what popped into his head at that moment and he never had any intention of stopping the virus.

He repeatedly says what a great job he did by shutting down travel from China, which really isn't accurate. In any case, if he thinks he did it with China, why didn't he do it with Europe after saying he would.

It's always the same story. He says he's doing a magnificent job. When things go wrong he bears no responsibility and looks for others to blame.

Either he meant to shut down travel from Europe or he didn't. If he meant it, he failed. If he didn't mean it, he was just blowing smoke up America's collective ass. Neither is impressive leadership.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

There won’t be any crushing a curve. Cases and deaths will rise with more people mingling. There can’t be another result of reopening at this point. 

Tracking is critical to letting people know they’ve been exposed and need to isolate until tested. That’s true even now. 

Ideally it’s used to stamp out outbreaks but we have given up on keeping the majority of people safe from this. The new unstated (for obvious reasons) goal is to hope for a few hundred thousand deaths to achieve herd immunity by summer 2021. 

It’s part of the toolbox but many of the people promoting it are implying that with increased testing and contact tracing we will be able to miraculously contain it and essentially have safe conditions for work.   It is being used as a predicate to reopen, as if that is going to make a meaningful difference in the infection rates at this stage of the game.  

It won’t.   

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

#JOURNALISM:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-07-at-20.08.51.png

Ive been following Nate Silver on this pandemic and even though he is an avowed leftist he’s not your typical vapid gotcha leftist.  He has been following this virus with honest data crunching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

What you seem to be implying is that it couldn't have worked, which raises the question as to what Trump meant when he said it. This would in turn mean, that as usual, Trump was merely saying what popped into his head at that moment and he never had any intention of stopping the virus.

I have serious concerns about your mental stability.

• Like (+1) 1

tell me again how you want MOAR. go ahead, i'll wait.

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.4ab1131583fae620006459603ab06f13.gif

https://twitter.com/delbigtree/status/1258125685014568960

US Begins To Implement WHO “Contact Tracing” To Forcibly Remove People From Their Homes?

... California will be the test pilot for this program which they have stated will serve as the template nationwide.

Welcome to COVID1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuToCqoRVHM&feature=emb_logo

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

tell me again how you want MOAR. go ahead, i'll wait.

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.4ab1131583fae620006459603ab06f13.gif

https://twitter.com/delbigtree/status/1258125685014568960

US Begins To Implement WHO “Contact Tracing” To Forcibly Remove People From Their Homes?

... California will be the test pilot for this program which they have stated will serve as the template nationwide.

Welcome to COVID1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuToCqoRVHM&feature=emb_logo

Maybe they can cram everyone they identify into cargo trains and ship them off to a camp somewhere....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was something that I was talking about earlier in the thread.   The best gauge we have right now to truly determine the prevalence of the virus spread is not looking at total new infections per day.   As testing goes up confirmed infections will not correlate to an accurate representation.

A more accurate representation would be the rate of positive test results.  If the rate of positive tests go up then that would imply higher prevalency within that particular area.  The lower the rate of positive tests the lower the prevalency. 

Florida over the past 3 days has shown a test positive rate of a little over 3%.

To put things into context at its peak New York was at a peak of 55%, which shows how widespread it was at that time, since then it has plummeted to about 15%.

Below is a depiction of 3 charts.

The scary total confirmed infections which is just an accumulation chart that many in the media like to promote hysteria.  The ones who promote this know what they are doing, there are ulterior motives aside from informing people.

The next is the total new Confirmed infections per day.  Some in the media promote this and I won’t go as far as to say that they are trying to scare people, they just haven’t put two and two together, for many they think this is the best gauge. 

Then there is the total test positive rate.  Most people are not aware of this gauge.   This is the one that I would recommend for people to follow.   It’s not a perfect science but you can extrapolate an assumption that it captures asymptomatics as well.  Not perfect but definitely better than just looking at raw confirmed infections.   The lower the rate, the lower the spread.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ALF said:

Nurses head to the White House to protest lack of protective equipment

Nurses rallied in front of the White House on Thursday morning to protest the lack of personal protective equipment available to them in the battle against the novel coronavirus.

The demonstrators gathered in Lafayette Square in front of the White House and placed 88 pairs of empty shoes on the ground. Those shoes represented the life of each nurse they say has been lost due inadequate personal protective equipment while fighting the coronavirus.

The demonstrators then read the names of the 88 fallen nurses.

"You talk about how essential, how needed, how grateful you are, and yet you throw us to the wolves. You throw us out onto a battlefield without armor and the more we complain we don't see anything being done," said Jean Ross, president of National Nurses United, in an interview with CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/politics/nurses-white-house-protest/index.html

But they are warriors! Warriors are not suppose to protest. 

It's so revealing, Trump telling everyone to man up and get out there and take a chance with their lives and he goes nut when someone close to him is positive tested. 

24 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Maybe they can cram everyone they identify into cargo trains and ship them off to a camp somewhere....

Don't forget, they recommended issuing a badge that people had to wear first.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

I have no idea how Trump planned to do it. It was up to him to come up with the specifics. When Ebola was an issue, Christie quarantined people, I believe at the airport. 

Certainly there are more people involved in this pandemic, but if we were to protect America from being overun with the virus, Trump and his people should have made the necessary arrangements. 

If you believe this couldn't be done, I disagree, and the fact that it wasn't done, opened the floodgates.

He repeatedly says what a great job he did by shutting down travel from China, which really isn't accurate. In any case, if he thinks he did it with China, why didn't he do it with Europe after saying he would.

It's always the same story. He says he's doing a magnificent job. When things go wrong he bears no responsibility and looks for others to blame.

Either he meant to shut down travel from Europe or he didn't. If he meant it, he failed. If he didn't mean it, he was just blowing smoke up America's collective ass. Neither is impressive leadership.

He just wanted to bury his head in the sand and ignore it. His "leadership" is not based on doing something, it's based on bluster and misinformation that his people just swallow whole. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have serious concerns about your mental stability.

That’s funny.  I had the same thought about you.  Your recent activity strongly suggests Biden Derangement Syndrome.  Get well soon! 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He just wanted to bury his head in the sand and ignore it. His "leadership" is not based on doing something, it's based on bluster and misinformation that his people just swallow whole. 

Yup.  Fake leadership from a fake winner.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Margarita said:

well it could be seen as an alternative view from the majority Here. Clearly it is. 

"Alternative", as in the 354,657 times the same thing has been written about and suggested to Trump since summer 2015?

Whoever has taken Clark's leadership seminars should request a full refund, because he failed the most fundamental task of a leader, which is recommending something that has almost zero chance of getting accomplished.   You do not publicly badger someone's ingrained habits, honed over 50-years that have actually been successful.   

What is Trump going to do with the advice?  "Who is this guy who couldn't even make it to Valentines Day in his Presidential run telling me how I should behave?"

At least anti-Trump, Henry Blodgett had tangible advice:

So, while the President is urging governors to reopen their states, he can also do other things to get a handle on the coronavirus and restore America to economic and physical health.

Namely:

• Invest more in national testing and tracing capabilities. (Americans travel a lot, so individual states can't do this alone.)
  • Develop and fund an "isolation and quarantine" strategy, so Americans who are sick can go to isolation wards, so they don't stay in their houses and infect others in their families.
  • Provide funding and incentives — and, if necessary, directives — for companies to produce huge quantities of necessary supplies and equipment.
  • Invest even more in potential treatments and vaccines.
  • Deputize experts to issue regular progress reports.
  • Work with our allies and trading partners to develop plans to restart international travel and business and help rebuild our partners' economies. 

All this will help the country get the coronavirus under control faster—and, in so doing, save American lives and restore our economy. It will also help make us ready to detect, fight, and suppress any additional waves of infection.

The President could also take one more step — a step that would help his legacy and leave America with an improved pandemic-management capability long after he leaves office.

He could push Congress to increase the budget and authority of the Public Health Service, the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, and other agencies that can protect us from these scourges.

All this would help save American lives, secure the President's legacy, and help him get reelected.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Must be nice out on the farm to tell people to go back into crowded offices and restaurnts. No problem for him. 

that's okay... you just stay in your mom's Soro's basement bunker, we'll let you know when it's okay to come out.

maybe...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

This is actually your third time NOT answering...

I told you what his announced plan was -- though Trump didn't actually announce it, as BuffaloHokie pointed out yesterday.  The details came from DHS. You responded that it was up to Trump to come up with specifics.  There was a plan, it was specific. You can't even say that you don't like the plan.  You just say that you don't like Trump.  You can't get past your hatred of Trump to actually talk about anything in detail.  You stop at hating Trump.  That's no way to go about life.

As for any alternative to a plan that existed, you beat around the bush.  Why don't you just say that people should have been forced into mandatory locations to be quarantined upon their return from Europe?  You strongly imply that as an alternative. Where would this occur?  How would people get fed? What about loved ones who depend upon the quarantined? What about providing hygiene and pharmaceutical medicines? Who pays for all that? Who coordinates all that? 

Only a Trump-hater would want mandatory quarantines, so there's something else to hate Trump for. You don't want to discuss that.  You just say, it is up to Trump.  Well is WAS up to Trump, and he made his decision.  You don't seem to care about it because you won't even discuss the details of that. You just want to point out that Trump is awful and that you hate him and he's killed people because ha's more interested in himself than assisting people. What a positive outlook you've cultivated for yourself!

Just to cut you off at the pass, so to speak -- I criticize Trump when he deserves it, so please refrain from calling me "stupid" or "evil", as is your wont.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

That’s funny.  I had the same thought about you.  Your recent activity strongly suggests Biden Derangement Syndrome.  Get well soon!  

Your mind is obviously as confused as Kemp's. I haven't mentioned Biden in any posts in this thread - and rarely mentioned him in any posts in any other thread.

Hopefully, your mental confusion is from lack of sleep and not something more structurally permanent. Get some rest and get well soon!

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Your mind is obviously as confused as Kemp's. I haven't mentioned Biden in any posts in this thread - and rarely mentioned him in any posts in any other thread.

Hopefully, your mental confusion is from lack of sleep and not something more structurally permanent. Get some rest and get well soon!

Lol this was a good burn. @Deranged Rhino I see the pupils are excelling.

• Haha (+1) 1

So let me get this straight. Keeping completely undocumented Central Americans quarantined at our southern border is inhumane, racist and immoral, but keeping documented Europeans quarantined (perhaps in cages?) at our eastern border is the correct course of action? Hmmmm...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3