The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

29 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I would love for this to be true but even the “article” if you can call it that says:

”However, most of the data appears anecdotal and not obtained through official studies. In some cases, the name of the doctor is listed but no other information is included.”

Anecdotes remain the only HCQ evidence. 

27 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Trump, besides his career in NYC real estate development spent years as a showman on TV. While many here, including myself wish Trump would not raise expectations with his rhetoric, he still does. It's in his nature to speak as if he was presenting a "teaser" for an upcoming show. Think of him as a circus barker with The Greatest Show on Earth. With that said, the show might not be as good as claimed but it's certainly a damn good show and much better than any alternative. 

You're probably aware that he was a showman even during his "real estate development" career.  That's when he realized that he's a much better carnival barker than he was a real estate developer.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

You're probably aware that he was a showman even during his "real estate development" career.  That's when he realized that he's a much better carnival barker than he was a real estate developer.

He spoke at a ICSC convention that I attended in Manhattan a number of years ago. No theatrics and a fairly boring speech. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

He spoke at a ICSC convention that I attended in Manhattan a number of years ago. No theatrics and a fairly boring speech. 

That's highly uncharacteristic of him.  He was seeking media attention ever since he crossed the 59th st Bridge in the early '80s.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

That's highly uncharacteristic of him.  He was seeking media attention ever since he crossed the 59th st Bridge in the early '80s.

As I'm sure you know, 10 weeks after 9-11 was probably a subdued time in NYC. He spit out a bunch of NYC real estate specifics that didn't interest me very much. 

36 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I would love for this to be true but even the “article” if you can call it that says:

”However, most of the data appears anecdotal and not obtained through official studies. In some cases, the name of the doctor is listed but no other information is included.”

Anecdotes remain the only HCQ evidence. 

of course. no other response was expected from you.

not until you are Just_Cuz_15.gif.2eb8ee78cf27d92d91176eec1a6c4260.gif will it sink in.

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The whole intro is dedicated to the idea that Trump doesn't take criticism or suggestions well. Dr. Fauci has publicly stated that Trump has listened to all of their suggestions and not interfered with their conclusions. Perhaps the 'advice' would come across better if he opted to skip the personal attacks and just gave the suggestions. 

that's fair. Yes I can understand that there are some ways DT leads that aren't seen as "presidential" for example his use of twitter, bombastic personality at play etcas you said he is  who he is. 

But also to be fair there were some items mentioned in that piece I thought DT would be well served himself In His Own self interest!

A couple examples: blurting out observations which his experts then have to bob and weave to defend or he later rationalizes he didn't mean....A guy who never admits to misspeaking or then rationalizes "he was being sarcastic" when he clearly wasn't just makes him look like a tool. IMO.

Another thing is regarding his telling Americans to wear a mask but then he doesn't himself. Do as I say not as I do? Bad look for a President. I think a true leader leads by examole and very often his example  sets a precedent.

okay PPPers blast away at my bias and TDS. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

You said it was an alternative view.  It wasn't.  It's a rehash of the old criticism of Trump's bombastic personality. 

Newsflash, he ain't changing.  The people who are likely to vote for him stopped paying literal attention to what he says, knowing fully well that a lot of it is exaggerated.   

well it could be seen as an alternative view from the majority Here. Clearly it is. 

2 hours ago, Margarita said:

this seemed to be the best thread to post this in.  I saw this letter written by Wesley K. Clark, a retired Army general and NATO's former supreme allied commander in Europe, was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and is a CNN military analyst. The views expressed in this commentary are his own. I happen to think it makes a ton of sense. Not that DT would listen or take heed to it but IMO he should. Its called President Trump,  Here's how to take control of this crisis.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/opinions/crisis-leadership-advice-for-president-trump-wesley-clark/index.html

I read it.

I was expecting him to have made suggestions regarding testing, tracking, treatments, developing vaccines. I was also expecting him to propose some reasonable plans toward restarting the economy. Aren’t those things important issues toward taking control of this crisis? The article was absolutely none of that.  It was simply a critique of Trump’s leadership style. Some of what he said is right, but do we need more critiques of leadership style? Or do we need solid plans to deal with the virus while at the same time opening up society?

And I noticed that Clark had two “fourth” points.  He should proofread himself better if he is going to publish an opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

I read it.

I was expecting him to have made suggestions regarding testing, tracking, treatments, developing vaccines. I was also expecting him to propose some reasonable plans toward restarting the economy. Aren’t those things important issues toward taking control of this crisis? The article was absolutely none of that.  It was simply a critique of Trump’s leadership style. Some of what he said is right, but do we need more critiques of leadership style? Or do we need solid plans to deal with the virus while at the same time opening up society?

And I noticed that Clark had two “fourth” points.  He should proofread himself better if he is going to publish an opinion.

I would say the country needs Both snafu. Seriously. The medical side of this issue isn't within the generals  realm of expertise so he didn't speak on that. Which I think is very smart and logical. I wish DT would heed that same advice to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Yeah, I think the guy in charge is responsible for taking the reins for the single biggest event since WWII.

So you think the guy in charge of the country should usurp Cuomo's responsibilities for NY? You think Cuomo shouldn't be in charge of NY, but the president should?

Because that's what you're saying and I want to ensure we all see the same thing here.

Why even have governors, right? I mean, who the hell wrote these rules, right?

I swear you need to change your avatar because every time you post, this is all I see:

image.jpeg.9c0c08b8b0f76af8ac88564fffade52b.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

So you think the guy in charge of the country should usurp Cuomo's responsibilities for NY? You think Cuomo shouldn't be in charge of NY, but the president should?

Because that's what you're saying and I want to ensure we all see the same thing here.

Why even have governors, right? I mean, who the hell wrote these rules, right?

I swear you need to change your avatar because every time you post, this is all I see:

image.jpeg.9c0c08b8b0f76af8ac88564fffade52b.jpeg

...with the New York Times, of ALL publications declaring that NYC was the Covid-19 gateway to the US, should we assume that Cuomo had a reasonable preparedness plan in place with people living on top of each other for an even LESSER  medical event like this to be more realistic?...naw, it's the Fed's fault.........

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with the New York Times, of ALL publications declaring that NYC was the Covid-19 gateway to the US, should we assume that Cuomo had a reasonable preparedness plan in place with people living on top of each other for an even LESSER  medical event like this to be more realistic?...naw, it's the Fed's fault.........

The only reason it took Cuomo so long to clean the subways was because of Trump.

True story. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Margarita said:

I would say the country needs Both snafu. Seriously. The medical side of this issue isn't within the generals  realm of expertise so he didn't speak on that. Which I think is very smart and logical. I wish DT would heed that same advice to be honest. 

We have seen Trump’s style on display for 3.5 years now.

We have all been able to cringe when the time is right.  And we have all seen that his words and message delivery and style don’t always match up with the actions of his administration.  If you think Trump makes uninformed decisions then I’d have to disagree with you. Maybe that’s another major failure of Trump’s leadership style that Clark left out: the impression that Trump is acting solely based on his own thoughts without input from anyone else. That’s just untrue, but people believe it all the time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The only reason it took Cuomo so long to clean the subways was because of Trump.

True story. 

...look at the repertoire of "NYS Political Skanks"......Schneiderman, Weiner, Spitzer, Photo Op Chuckie, Carpetbagger Hillary, DiBlasio, Bruno, Silverman, Gilibrand (Daddy's sex cult affiliation) et al....yet Big Fredo's ratings are soaring and easily lead to 2022 re-election...perhaps Fredo as his Lieutenant Governor to perpetuate the stranglehold......Upstate and WNY is overridden by downstate......can't wait to get the hell out......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Foxx said:

of course. no other response was expected from you.

not until you are Just_Cuz_15.gif.2eb8ee78cf27d92d91176eec1a6c4260.gif will it sink in.

I'd love to read a study that says HCQ works but anecdotes about how people took it and got better are not studies, especially for a disease where most people get better. So far there haven't been any double blind studies that show good results, and even the thing you quoted admits that the only studies have shown negative results. Given the length of time since we started hearing about HCQ, its ready availability, and the number of patients receiving it, if there was a massive advantage to taking HCQ we'd know about it. Even the politicians have backed off talking about it but it remains alive on message boards! 

Remdesivir looks way more promising but sadly it's going to be less available. Some other treatments may show promise soon too. You can track the science on Statnews's treatment and vaccine tracker. It's not anecdotal and you can dig deeper on studies using that as a jumping-off point.

I don't fault them for tossing a relatively harm-free Hail Mary out there and proscribing HCQ sometimes but there's no evidence to back that action up. 

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I'd love to read a study that says HCQ works but anecdotes about how people took it and got better are not studies, especially for a disease where most people get better. So far there haven't been any double blind studies that show good results, and even the thing you quoted admits that the only studies have shown negative results. Given the length of time since we started hearing about HCQ, its ready availability, and the number of patients receiving it, if there was a massive advantage to taking HCQ we'd know about it. Even the politicians have backed off talking about it but it remains alive on message boards! 

Remdesivir looks way more promising but sadly it's going to be less available. Some other treatments may show promise soon too. You can track the science on Statnews's treatment and vaccine tracker. It's not anecdotal and you can dig deeper on studies using that as a jumping-off point.

I don't fault them for tossing a relatively harm-free Hail Mary out there and proscribing HCQ sometimes but there's no evidence to back that action up. 

The only evidence is that you're more likely to die from it. Wonder why Trump loves it so much?

Most likely a profit motive or his ego refuses to admit he's wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kemp said:

The only evidence is that you're more likely to die from it. Wonder why Trump loves it so much?

(pardon the temporary hijack)

Speaking of ego -- based on the other news of the day, are you now willing to admit that you got Russia/Trump all the way wrong?

Or is your ego too big?

(/hijack)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, shoshin said:

of course a 'vir 'looks' 'promising'.

one might wonder why that is.

for one, there is a significant price difference (hence profit motives to go around for a great many (HCQ, not so much))...

Edited by Foxx

22 minutes ago, Kemp said:

You didn’t answer my question from earlier today...

And in relation to the post you made which I’m quoting here, I’d like to let you know that hydroxychloroquine is used worldwide for a few purposes, and has been used for a long time.  Seems like you’re treating it as though it is a new drug. If doctors don’t know how to properly prescribe it and which patients are able to receive it without complication, then who’s to blame? Whether is is effective at treating Covid-19 is up in the air, but worrying about side effects should be a small, low hurdle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Circling back on this--i erred. I had not included Hannity's read on the eventual outcome of the Flynn investigation juxtaposed to TBFs beloved Post of Washington.  

I want to put that on my shoulders. I was wrong to leave it out, I should have trusted my instincts and allowed TBF to react.  Ima own this..and I apologize directly.  I think when faced with 84 rock solid sources speaking their truth courageously hidden only behind 100% anonymity and no possible adverse consequences for making %$## up,  I had a crisis of confidence. I am sorry, and I am humbled. 

Transplant--approximately when did the meticulously cultivated treasure trove of anonymous WaP insider sources reveal FBI and prosecutorial malfeasance against M. Flynn?  +/- 3 mos is fine, don't go crazy looking through each day's newsprint.  If you can find a link just send that.  

I will be better after this. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1