The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

53 minutes ago, ALF said:

At ECMC, shaken doctor shares lessons from the 'Covid floor'

Friday was his first shift on ECMC’s “Covid floor,” which has existed for only about a week on the hospital's 12th floor.

“These were the sickest patients I have ever cared for in 25 years of doing this medicine thing,” wrote Jensen, 49, a medical school graduate from the University at Buffalo who has spent his entire life in Western New York. “The whole floor was full of sick people and absolutely shell-shocked staff.”

It involves anxiety about what could happen to patients at the hospital if too many nurses and doctors were to become sick, as well as the knowledge of exactly what staff members might potentially carry home to those they love

Yet what he saw Friday on the 12th floor involved an unsettling level of the unknown, a measure of fast-moving uncertainty and risk at such a point it made it difficult for him to sleep that night.

While most who contract Covid-19 will recover, the greatest threat from this pandemic lies in swamping the intensive care system with too many patients.

“This is no joke. This is not a drill,” Jensen wrote in his text. “The economy doesn't matter much when you're dead, and this kills people."

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/31/at-ecmc-shaken-doctor-shares-lessons-from-the-covid-floor/

And this is just the beginning in WNY

An item I'd be curious to know is, when this whole episode is behind us, how many people out of the 100,000's or 1,000,000's that catch this virus will have gotten it from being in a hospital for an unrelated illness / procedure?

6 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

If you can quote one pro-Hillary post of mine I'll Venmo you $100. Good luck

It could be the only way you ever earn a paycheck

Lol, don't hate me because I retired at 55. I make more money sitting on my asset home than you and tibs make at the laundromat combined. 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

An item I'd be curious to know is, when this whole episode is behind us, how many people out of the 100,000's or 1,000,000's that catch this virus will have gotten it from being in a hospital for an unrelated illness / procedure?

A lot of people are saying that the hospitals are spreading it now. It is definitely possible. 

My son and his fiancée finished self-quarantine on Sunday, and she was immediately scheduled to work Sunday night (local hospital, she is a nurse).  He made the decision not to go to family brunch on Easter because my mother (over 70) will be there. They have no idea what she will be bringing home to them, and what they could spread to her (and us).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

A lot of people are saying that the hospitals are spreading it now. It is definitely possible. 

My son and his fiancée finished self-quarantine on Sunday, and she was immediately scheduled to work Sunday night (local hospital, she is a nurse).  He made the decision not to go to family brunch on Easter because my mother (over 70) will be there. They have no idea what she will be bringing home to them, and what they could spread to her (and us).

That's the right thing to do. Even though it sucks. I wish your son and his fiancee good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yeah, no way will our extended family be having our usual Easter meal.  Too many elderly people with health issues to invite to even consider holding it.  And we (my extended family) are very lucky this hit in February / March as at least 3 were in the hospital in the Fall.

We'll get together for Easter next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, no way will our extended family be having our usual Easter meal.  Too many elderly people with health issues to invite to even consider holding it.  And we (my extended family) are very lucky this hit in February / March as at least 3 were in the hospital in the Fall.

We'll get together for Easter next year.

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

Yeah 0% chance of Easter with my family

We're all in the same boat. Let's keep those in harm's way in our thoughts and prayers, and hope this truly does peak within the next few weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Hillary wouldn't have sat around doing nothing for a month when experts were warning about Corona 

Chris Stevens, Tyrone woods Sean Smith and Glen Dougherty  would disagree with that statement.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Chris Stevens, Tyrone woods Sean Smith and Glen Dougherty  would disagree with that statement.

Hillary would have made sure that infected people were sent out amongst her enemies including the deplorable people in flyover country.