The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

So you would reopen bars, restaurants, unrestrict travel, - how does your idea work?

No. I'd have some common sense measures in place REGIONAL in nature. For example. Full quarantine of NYC, but not necessarily of, say, Boise Idaho.

9 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No. I'd have some common sense measures in place REGIONAL in nature. For example. Full quarantine of NYC, but not necessarily of, say, Boise Idaho.

So kind of like they're doing now?

I mean there isn't a full quarantine in NYC but it's a regional approach

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

And without social distancing it would be much higher 

Did he say that on 9/12?

Just now, Gary Busey said:

So kind of like they're doing now?

I mean there isn't a full quarantine in NYC but it's a regional approach

I've heard a LOT of people around here clamoring for a NATIONAL lockdown. That would be a grievous error.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I've heard a LOT of people around here clamoring for a NATIONAL lockdown. That would be a grievous error.

Sure. But there isn't one yet 

47 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Realists?

The cure is definitely worse than the disease.

"The cure" as it currently stands, is what you've advocated for - a regional approach. And that's worse than the disease?

Just now, Tiberius said:

And without social distancing it would be much higher 

I didn't say it wouldn't be. It wasn't to downplay the seriousness of what is happening. It wasn't to minimize the deaths. It was simply to place things in perspective for people who are acting like death is a novelty. It isn't. Over 2.5 million people die each year in this country.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

"The cure" as it currently stands, is what you've advocated for - a regional approach. And that's worse than the disease?

I harbor no illusions that the controls currently in place will continue to stay in place. I anticipate that a nationwide lockdown is incoming. Perhaps within the next week and a half.

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In a way, by leaving things up to the governors and mayors, this IS the approach we are taking.  (You can argue whether some of the state and local measures are too weak or over the top.). And Trump is doing what the President should do in this situation: encouraging reasonable precautions, while considering the short and long-term costs of a general shutdown. 

What we really need is more reliable data about the virus so that we can truly understand how it works and how great a risk we would be taking by re-opening certain segments of the economy and society.  The alarmism and panic being promoted by the MSM is distinctly unhelpful in this regard.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 4