Matt Milano and missed tackle

22 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Can we stop with "cost us the game" comments.  There were MANY miscues, so to say it was just one thing is myopic.

Part of the mourning process,  reality is sometimes it's better to lose by 30 then 3 points in OT when you had many opportunities to win.  The missed tackle will be the last bad thing that happened that helped Texans win this game.

Edited by Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Milano this year was a below average tackler.

I would agree and is on the team because of his coverage skills,  if the team wants to improve against the run then the Bills may want to look at upgrade.

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That stands out to me far more than the missed tackles on Watson. That first down should never happen, Watson plays happen. 

I would say they are about equal,  not sure why they took suck a deep drop back in coverage.  Once again LB'S should have been closer to the line well in front of sticks

Our LB core in general this year has been average at best.  Very up and down versus the team that was being played.  Lots of blown tackles and gap filling coverage, and also exposed to not being able to stuff the run in big games.  Now that Alexander is gone this is another area help will be needed.  But the offense is still the priority come Draft and FA time.

Edited by Toyo321
typo

50 minutes ago, familykwi said:

When you say he didn't seem to be himself, does that imply a lack of arms to finish the tackle?  He also bounced off of Burkhead on the last TD play.

I agree Milano is a very good player, but everyone who makes mistakes is subject to criticism.  If you make plays we celebrate you, if you are a non-factor, we tend to ignore you (hello Mr. Beasley) and if you make significant errors, like not wrapping up when you tackle and it leads directly to points, then we criticize you.

That's the gig

So Steven Hauschka is the only player with no blame in this game. Build the team around him! 

39 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Tre White was the DB that also failed to bring Watson down. Bad luck, bad execution, bad juju, bad something call it whatever you want.

Are you sure about that? I recall it being a number in the 30s, not 27. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Are you sure about that? I recall it being a number in the 30s, not 27. 

It was the safety.  33 I think. Neal?  He had sacked him earlier. It was such a weird play. 33 should have wrapped his legs instead of just trying to stick him. 

Sounds like we must have had a miserable defense! 

A very unfortunate play. It sucks. We lost. I hope the staff just looks for ways to get better. This feels more like finger pointing, and I don’t really like that. 

44 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Our LB core in general this year has been average at best.  Very up and down versus the team that was being played.  Lots of blown tackles and gap filling coverage, and also exposed to not being able to stuff the run in big games.  Now that Alexander is gone this is another area help will be needed.  But the offence is still the priority come Draft and FA time.

I agree that offense needs the most help

One thing that I worry about going forward is that both Milano and Edmunds great strengths are as coverage linebackers and less so as tacklers and punishers.   The league may be coming back to more of a running league, and the two of them may not be ideal for the defense the Bills will need in the future.   

It's not completely surprising that Milano didn't make the tackle on Watson.  Watson has the strength and balance of the best power backs in the league.  He is tough to bring down.   

Still, Milano and Neal should have made the play.  

Milano is a guy who generally stands out. He gets there but his tackling has been an issue. He was playing like a man on a mission in the first half. But he missed some plays that turned out to be huge. 
I still love the guy, I really think he’s the glue for them sometimes. I look forward to seeing Vosean next season and what his speed can add to Milano and Edmunds and the defense. 
I would love to see them tinker around a little bit and move Edmunds around. With Lorenzo sailing off into the sunset I’d like to see Edmunds take his spot occasionally rather he rushes or drops. 
Im hoping they add some quality guys in free agency to help bolster the linebacking group. 
I am still holding out hope Vosean can earn a role next year and hopefully make an impact 

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

He’s played better than average all year. It was high pressure situation and we lost the moment. It’s not his fault. Also considering we’re he was drafted, he fair exceeded expectations. 

We lost due to field goals instead of TDs in the first half. Questionable O play calling, D played soft instead of attacking in the 2nd half. And then awful calls by the ref. 

The overturn of the kickoff TD, was huge. That was a live ball, ref got it right and was talked out of the correct call! That would likely have ended the game in our favor. 

The whole team played bad ( except Singultary) the 2nd half. I blame the coaches for that. 

Matt is a very good LB. No reason to diss him. He is an important piece to this young team!

He needs to tackle better, and as a team the defense needs less launching themselves and more wrapping up and driving thru.

That is Pop Warner stuff.

One can critique poor execution when it is true. Not sure why it seems to illicit this mantra of defense does not need to stop teams, the Bills need to score more.

The two are not mutually exclusive. The offense needs to score more and the D needs to have less missed tackles.

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

The most disappointing part of the final Houston drive was the missed tackle by Milano who has missed other key tackles during the season.  Never mind the DB who also missed  Milano  is a starting LB and there is no excuse at all for not wrapping up Watson.  I keep watching the replay and just don't know how a starting LB misses a clean shot a QB at the most pivotal moment of the game.  Then i watch JJ'S sack on Allen where he picks Allen and carries him to the ground.   The worst part is our HC talked about the importance of tackling during the week

6-0

That's your answer 

Way too small to be a LB......

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Milano has been a nice story since drafted. I have to admit that I'm starting to wonder about the missed tackles. The team had the second most in the league and Milano was the biggest culprit. He needs to be better. 

That concerns me more than what happened with Milano.

What is also very upsetting, is that the Bills defense sacked Watson 7 times! Hughes had 3 & Murphy had 2. Both of these guys showed up on the big stage, and we still could not win. :censored:

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, WideNine said:

He needs to tackle better, and as a team the defense needs less launching themselves and more wrapping up and driving thru.

That is Pop Warner stuff.

One can critique poor execution when it is true. Not sure why it seems to illicit this mantra of defense does not need to stop teams, the Bills need to score more.

The two are not mutually exclusive. The offense needs to score more and the D needs to have less missed tackles.

My point was that lack of a tackle was not the reason the game was lost. Agreed tackling is fundamental at this level and the Bills need to be better at it!

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That concerns me more than what happened with Milano.

What is also very upsetting, is that the Bills defense sacked Watson 7 times! Hughes had 3 & Murphy had 2. Both of these guys showed up on the big stage, and we still could not win. :censored:

They played scared the 2nd half.