AFC playoff teams were 4-0 versus NE this season

BADOLBILZ

I mean.........except for the Bills.

The Bills lost this game in December when they didn't take care of business at home and couldn't salvage a split against a fading rival.

McDermott is 0-6 versus Belichick and the Bills have averaged an unconscionably low 10 points of offense in those 6 losses.?

Until THAT division dynamic changes..........and there's no guarantee the Pats won't be better next year........then road games batting crowd noise and the inherent home cooking officiating disadvantages etc.. are the ceiling for this team.  

McDaboll and Beane gotta' fix this sh*t this offseason because the pushover 2019 schedule is unlikely to be repeated.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That’s a bad sign, and shouldn’t be overlooked. The offensive coaching, personnel and the QB haven’t been good enough to solve the riddle of Belichick. McD has managed to foil Brady , but the Bills need to take a long look at everything on the offense. 

18 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Maybe, somebody should tell them...

Belichick's domination of McDermott has been grossly under-reported to this point...........it's just been more talk of moral victories or excuses about how games were one score losses etc..

McD has a Belichick issue and the heart of it is his horrible record for stewardship of his offense.

Belichick is basically .500 in games coached against his former assistants(as HC's).    Why is he 4-0 versus Daboll as an OC?      

Edited by BADOLBILZ

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Belichick's domination of McDermott has been grossly under-reported to this point...........it's just been more talk of moral victories or excuses about how games were one score losses etc..

McD has a Belichick issue and the heart of it is his horrible record for stewardship of his offense.

Belichick is basically .500 in games coached against his former assistants(as HC's).    Why is he 4-0 versus Daboll as an OC?      

You kind of left out the fact that, while McDermott has been the HC of the Bills, he hasn't exactly had the offensive talent to match up with the NE defense. And, actually, McDermott's teams have put up a couple of dominating defensive performances against Belichick as well.

However, overall, I understand your point.

I also think Beane and McDermott are well aware of everything you said.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

You kind of left out the fact that, while McDermott has been the HC of the Bills, he hasn't exactly had the offensive talent to match up with the NE defense. And, actually, McDermott's teams have put up a couple of dominating defensive performances against Belichick as well.

He didn’t leave it out, that’s his point about bad stewardship.  McBeane have been making HORRENDOUS decisions about offensive personnel and strategy ever since they got here - they’ve done nothing whatsoever to suggest they even know what it takes to build a good offense.

Question: what is the Bills’ offensive identity? Does anyone know?  If the answer is to be “multiple,” that just suggests to me they suck equally at just about everything.  There is nothing they do well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who's fault is that?

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He didn’t leave it out, that’s his point about bad stewardship.  McBeane have been making HORRENDOUS decisions about offensive personnel and strategy ever since they got here - they’ve done nothing whatsoever to suggest they even know what it takes to build a good offense.

Question: what is the Bills’ offensive identity? Does anyone know?  If the answer is to be “multiple,” that just suggests to me they suck equally at just about everything.  There is nothing they do well.

A little disingenuous, I believe. They made their choice on how they wanted to structure the rebuild of this team. Whether you agree with the plan they laid out is irrelevant, that is what they chose and they stuck to it. The consequence of those decisions, as well as personnel issues they had no control over (Woods, Incognito, etc), was what we saw last year.

There were a number of personnel decisions made by Beane, from an offensive perspective, last off-season that made this team much better, offensively, this year than last year. If you can't see that, then you really must have forgotten how bad this offense was last year. And, like it or not, they still don't have the offensive personnel to establish their identity.

They have the draft picks and cap space to continue that improvement this next off-season. For me, next year is the year to see that offensive identity established and for this team to move to the next level. It will be Beane's third full season of his rebuild. I think that is a reasonable time to wait before I reach any difinitive conclusions about how good or bad he is at personnel decisions.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

A little disingenuous, I believe. They made their choice on how they wanted to structure the rebuild of this team. Whether you agree with the plan they laid out is irrelevant, that is what they chose and they stuck to it. The consequence of those decisions, as well as personnel issues they had no control over (Woods, Incognito, etc), was what we saw last year.

There were a number of personnel decisions made by Beane, from an offensive perspective, last off-season that made this team much better, offensively, this year than last year. If you can't see that, then you really must have forgotten how bad this offense was last year. And, like it or not, they still don't have the offensive personnel to establish their identity.

They have the draft picks and cap space to continue that improvement this next off-season. For me, next year is the year to see that offensive identity established and for this team to move to the next level. It will be Beane's third full season of his rebuild. I think that is a reasonable time to wait before I reach any difinitive conclusions about how good or bad he is at personnel decisions.

That’s a generous amount of rope and runway you’re giving out.  I suspect Terry is asleep enough to go along with that narrative.  IMO if this was all their “plan” they’ve been fortunate that Allen didn’t mentally and physically implode before last night - no QB coach or veteran backup in his first training camp, a middling OC, the worst line and group of WRs in the league in 2018, no tight end or big catch radii to throw to... if this was actually the plan, it was an insane one.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They've been here 3 seasons.... every season their offense is piss poor.

IMO Daboll shouldn't be here next season and someone other than McDermott should hire his OC for him. I'm convinced the guy is clueless offensively. 

This team is all about the continuity train. You won't see an OC change, unless someone hires Daboll as HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

I still can't figure out how the Dolphins won last week. Two weeks straight the Patriots get beat at home by worse teams. Tannehill didn't even have 100 yards passing last night. You love to see it 

Edited by Steptide

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If I asked the average fan in 2017 where the Ravens and Chiefs would stack up in the AFC in two years.........they would have said those teams were getting old and they'd be rebuilding.   

If you make good decisions you can turn around an entire team in a hurry.

Meanwhile we are hoping that year 4 of McDermott becomes year 1 of competent offensive football.  

There is nothing disingenuous about not being accepting of that.

The basis of your sarcastic post to my OP....as evidenced by the excuses above.........was that you think it's understandable and OK that 3 years into the regime they continue to be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL.    

The existence of that kind of deeply engrained excuse making is why I made this thread.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I still can't figure out how the Dolphins won last week. Two weeks straight the Patriots get beat at home by worse teams. Tannehill didn't even have 100 yards passing last night. You love to see it 

Better coaching?  It boils down to that, IMO.  Certainly not talent in Miami's case; an argument can be made for Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That’s a generous amount of rope and runway you’re giving out.  I suspect Terry is asleep enough to go along with that narrative.  IMO if this was all their “plan” they’ve been fortunate that Allen didn’t mentally and physically implode before last night - no QB coach or veteran backup in his first training camp, a middling OC, the worst line and group of WRs in the league in 2018, no tight end or big catch radii to throw to... if this was actually the plan, it was an insane one.

I didn't say their plan was to have the worst line and receivers in the league. You are better than that. They chose to rebuild. They chose to get rid of players they did not fell fit their plans. They chose to eat all that dead cap space. Those were their decisions, whether you agree with them or not. Those decisions carried consequences and they did what they could, going into last season, with a limited ability to make drastic improvements. 

This past off-season, they made bigger strides and it showed on the field. Some of Beane's decisions didn't work out and many of them did - no different than any other GM.

Next year is the year they need to show that their plan was the correct one, and that, for the most part, they are making correct personnel and coaching decisions with the product they put on the field. Until then, I reserve the right to reach difinitive conclusions prematurely.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

IMO Daboll shouldn't be here next season and someone other than McDermott should hire his OC for him. I'm convinced the guy is clueless offensively. 

Beane has been here for two off-seasons and two drafts.

1 minute ago, Captain Murica said:

Good thing we focused on building the defense first. 

The problem is McD and Frazier don't attack enough on defense.  They sit back, play zone, and sometimes soft zone/prevent, and expect that to win games; even with a poor offense.  Odd philosophy to say the least.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If I asked the average fan in 2017 where the Ravens and Chiefs would stack up in the AFC in two years.........they would have said those teams were getting old and they'd be rebuilding.   

Meanwhile we are hoping that year 4 of McDermott becomes year 1 of competent offensive football.  

The basis of your sarcastic post to my OP....as evidenced by the excuses above.........was that you think it's understandable and OK that 3 years into the regime they continue to be one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL.    

The existence of that kind of deeply engrained excuse making is why I made this thread.  

Many of the fans on this board think of the Bills as akin to a mid-major college basketball team. They think the Bills can win on any given Sunday, but don't really think of the Bills as serious contenders to ever be champs.  As a consequence these fans set low expectations, and are happy enough when the low expectations are exceeded.  Their main measure of comparison is comparing the 2019 Bills to the 2016 Bills or some other bad version of the Bills.  That is certainly their prerogative. 

Some fans believe the Bills are on equal footing with the Salary Cap, drafting rules and equal share of TV money, and should be held to the same standard of success as the teams competing for the championship each year.  These two views are in pretty strong conflict to each other. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The simple answer is that the Bills beat themselves with bad coaching before they even took the field in the two games against NE and those teams just looked at tape and did what the tape said works.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The problem is McD and Frazier don't attack enough on defense.  They sit back, play zone, and sometimes soft zone/prevent, and expect that to win games; even with a poor offense.  Odd philosophy to say the least.

If only someone would think "play fearlessly"

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The basis of my sarcastic post to your OP is because I am fairly certain Beane and McDermott are well aware of what they need to do - and that your assertions were based upon an incomplete foundation.

And yes, I think giving Beane three years on a rebuild is reasonable. Feel free to differ

Edited by billsfan1959

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

To be ranked in the bottom quarter of the league after their spending last off-season and year 2 of JA is underwhelming at best.

Still, if Daboll left either via a new job or was fired, who in their right mind wants to work with McD?  I see a HC who de-emphasizes offense and their personnel evaluators don't seem to understand positional value (OT vs WR) or whom to pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They fell apart last night but the defense is built for pass defense first and is very good at it.   They are very vulnerable to the run.    That kind of defense pairs with an offense that scores points and forces teams to stop running the ball.    Not with an offense that even in the incredibly rare instance where it has the first 4 scores of the game it still only has a 2 score lead.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think they are well aware at all.... I don't think their plan was to suck on offense since arriving to Buffalo.

Nor do I. As I said, they made their choices on how they wanted to proceed. I don't believe they thought the offense would be as bad as it was last year, and honestly, not many fans here did either. However that is what happened. My point is, they chose their path and the consequences of that choice. It doesn't matter one bit whether you agree with it or not. It is the path they chose. They made good strides this year and I choose to give Beane through next year to convince me he knows what he is doing. You can choose not to. 

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Also, for a Regime that prides themselves on being fundamentally sound. They tackle as well the team did in the Gaily era. They’re not a great defense as some believe they are. Hell, the players whine about not getting respect. IMO don’t beat your chest like King Kong and end up turning out to be Diddy Kong. 

Don’t get me wrong, the offense sucks but I heard clips all year about the defensive players thinking they aren’t getting the recognition they deserve

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Nor do I. As I said, they made their choices on how they wanted to proceed. I don't believe they thought the offense would be as bad as it was last year, and honestly, not many fans here did either. However that is what happened. My point is, they chose their path and the consequences of that choice. It doesn't matter one bit whether you agree with it or not. It is the path they chose. They made good strides this year and I choose to give Beane through next year to convince me he knows what he is doing. You can choose not to. 

So if they thought their plan would work and instead it sucked, let’s be confident in their next plan because maybe that will work?

Just trying to figure out the thought process here.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

So if they thought their plan would work and instead it sucked, let’s be confident in their next plan because maybe that will work?

Just trying to figure out the thought process here.

What exactly sucked? the offensive improvements from last year to this year? Going from 6-10 to 10-6? Making the playoffs? Seriously.

And what is this "next plan" you speak of? What I said is that they chose to rebuild the team. Next year will be the third year of Bean's decisions. That's a continuation of the plan, not a new one....

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Also, for a Regime that prides themselves on being fundamentally sound. They tackle as well the team did in the Gaily era. They’re not a great defense as some believe they are. Hell, the players whine about not getting respect. IMO don’t beat your chest like King Kong and end up turning out to be Diddy Kong. 

Don’t get me wrong, the offense sucks but I heard clips all year about the defensive players thinking they aren’t getting the recognition they deserve

Yeah, Micah Hyde in particular...tired of apologizing for winning (X number of) games with the schedule they have.  A lot of the defensive accolades where nullified at the 3rd and 18 that Houston converted.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I mean we were 0 for against good teams this year. Mariota Titans do not count. 

Of course it doesn't count. Apparently, then, none of their wins should count - only the losses. Maybe the Bills should forfeit every win they had against a "bad" team. Maybe they can then, retroactively, give a team like Pittsburgh, or Oakland, or Indy their playoff spot, and just redo wild card weekend.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't think they are well aware at all.... I don't think their plan was to suck on offense since arriving to Buffalo.

You are right about the offense not getting the attention the D has since they came to Buffalo.

My personal opinion (which isn't worth spit) is that at least 2/3rd's of the off season resources need to go to the offense.

What I am willing to do is wait to see what Beane and McDermott do.  

Are you?

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The basis of my sarcastic post to your OP is because I am fairly certain Beane and McDermott are well aware of what they need to do - and that your assertions were based upon an incomplete foundation.

And yes, I think giving Beane three years on a rebuild is reasonable. Feel free to differ

Why are you sure they know what they need to do?

They took over a team that was 7th in the NFL in scoring and had committed the fewest turnovers in post merger NFL history thru 15 games when Rex quit............and subsequently threw out the playbook!:doh:

They were sure they didn't need a QB in the 2017 draft so they dicked around so they could steal Carolina draft info and passed on Mahomes and Watson.:doh:

They were sure they needed bigger receivers in 2017 so they got big receivers with little care about their ability to actually get open.:doh:

They admitted they were wrong about the 2017 WR plan........so they went with small WR's who could get open instead of realizing that just put them on the other end of the wrong spectrum with a big armed young QB with ball placement issues.:doh:

They were dead set on getting "a tackle" in the draft and ignored the fact that the guy they traded up for was a guard with some "right tackle only flexibility" and that is not the same as "a tackle" which implies a guy who can play both sides if necessary.:doh:

They hired a purveyor of a complex offense to try to turn a guy with arguably the best set of raw quarterback skills in the league into a ***** game manager who then has to run for 100 yards to keep his team in a playoff game.........but of course make sure to criticize him for *almost* turning the ball over.:lol:

Their plans have been inherently flawed so they obviously haven't known what they need to do.

Their lone saving grace has been a willingness to admit the errors and try something different...........wrong things again, but different things.

That doesn't mean they are going to fix anything and some of the mistakes have long term impact..........they need to start knowing what they need to do and doing it.  FAST.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

What exactly sucked? the offensive improvements from last year to this year? Going from 6-10 to 10-6? Making the playoffs? Seriously.

And what is this "next plan" you speak of? What I said is that they chose to rebuild the team. Next year will be the third year of Bean's decisions. That's a continuation of the plan, not a new one....

What has sucked is being 30th in the NFL in scoring the past two years.     They tied for 24th this year..............they improved by literally only 2 combined TD's over 16 games despite the easiest schedule they've had in decades.    They put up 19 points in a playoff game against the 28th ranked defense!  The offense has been AWFUL.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

What has sucked is being 30th in the NFL in scoring the past two years.     They tied for 24th this year..............they improved by literally only 2 combined TD's over 16 games despite the easiest schedule they've had in decades.    They put up 19 points in a playoff game against the 28th ranked defense!  The offense has been AWFUL.   

I get all that and agree, for the most part. However, I believe the glimpses of the really important improvements I saw this year will become even more tangible next year with additional poeces added around Allen. It may be a leap of faith for some; however, I said I would give Beane three full seasons of roster moves. If at the end of next year we are looking at much of the same, then I will me more than willing to accept my faith was misplaced.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know Badolbilz has me blocked, but I just want to say I agree with this 100%.  

Brian Daboll is a proven failure at the NFL level.  He's certainly been a proven failure in Buffalo.  The Pegulas need to demand better.  He is the problem.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

No one thought they'd be this bad offensively after all the changes in 3 off-seasons.  But it happened and must be fixed for this team to take a leap forward in 2020.  

58 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

I mean we were 0 for against good teams this year. Mariota Titans do not count. 

McD is 3-17 in games against eventual playoff teams and in playoff games combined.  In those 20 games, Buffalo averaged 11.6 points while giving up about 25 per game.  Some of this is the result of the disastrous 2018 season, but all told, it's a common theme that McD falters against better competition.  

That's gotta change if this team ever expects to go deep into the playoffs.  Meaning, McD needs to change his approach in 2020.  All I've see is a coach who talks about playing to win, but doesn't coach that way. 

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Brian Daboll is a proven failure at the NFL level.  He's certainly been a proven failure in Buffalo.  The Pegulas need to demand better.  He is the problem.

How much do the Pegulas understand about what they saw yesterday?  If they're relying on Beane to translate the action for them, is Beane covering for McD and Daboll?

Rhetorical questions for sure, but valid points, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

As HC he is accountable for the offensive performance. Coach put most of his chips on one side and it shows. 

52 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You have 10k points why would someone block you?