NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

37 minutes ago, pop gun said:

He won't get fired and he won't be in the running for coach of the year. 

McDermott

Harbaugh

Shanahan

LaFleur

IMO one of these guys will win it.

I'd give Brian Flores a nod for Honorable Mention.

I think a 12-win season would have done it for McDermott.

If I had a vote, I think I'd pick Harbaugh for being smart (and humble) enough to tailor his game planning around the players he HAS ON THE TEAM and not trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I think tomlin's tenure has become a little more impressive considering what Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell ended up actually becoming when they left that team.

...under the current circumstances, YES.......he did more with LESS.....at the same time, it'd been a 10 year drought since the last SB "W"......perhaps less with MORE?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If so NFL changed interpretation of the rule which gave them a "black" eye before.

40 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No he is not - this was addressed before when an Asian coach and a Hispanic coach were both identified as not counting.

For R(L)oonie Rule minority is black.

You are incorrect.  The Rooney Rule was never specifically for African-Americans.  It was created for "people of color," or "ethnic minorities."  Welcome to the 21st century, Arch.

And your attempts at humor, which I've highlighted in red, are nothing short of disgusting.  Take that crap somewhere else, bigot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You are incorrect.  The Rooney Rule was never specifically for African-Americans.  It was created for "people of color," or "ethnic minorities."  Welcome to the 21st century, Arch.

And your attempts at humor, which I've highlighted in red, are nothing short of disgusting.  Take that crap somewhere else, bigot.

...agree with you....but hasn't it denigrated into a skin color issue, sadly?.....don't we more often than not read about an African American coaching candidate interview versus a Hispanic, Asian, et al (minorities of your choice)?.....sure would suck to be a man of color and wonder if the "call" was tokenship or seriously consideration of my skill set.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You are incorrect.  The Rooney Rule was never specifically for African-Americans.  It was created for "people of color," or "ethnic minorities."  Welcome to the 21st century, Arey ch.

I am not a bigot crapper, I am in a mixed family, had black friends in my wedding party and have shared my house with black friends.  Even shared my hotel room with a black Bills fan who I never met before.

There was an article last time Rivera interviewed and it stated that Rivera did not qualify under Rooney Rule but there was another candidate who was.  NFL never made statement if that was correct or not but it was on NFL.com website by black columnist.  THAT is why I called it Loonie rule.

I find it interesting that of the 5 team mentioned in the OP (Browns, Jags, Giants, Redskins and Cowboys) FOUR have questionable to bad ownership situations, IMO. Browns? A crook and a clown. Jags? You can’t play that many games in London and really be serious. I know, small market, needs help, but Toronto was a mistake and it was just up the road. What is the long game?  Giants? They are stable at least and made the GM change. Mistake dealt with. Redskins? Snyder has been a problem since the beginning. Cowboys? Haven’t done squat in 25 years since Jimmy Johnson left (plus a little after-glow) and probably won’t until Jerruh is out of the way. 

The best coaches take the best jobs. The worst owners get what’s left over. Guys like Kitchens are willing to take a job for which he is clearly not qualified. I don’t blame him, whether it be the contract or the ego, but it’s hard for bad ownership to attract quality coaches. 

NFL network just ran a piece on the hiring practices that just aired this afternoon    Interesting that many believe the hiring involved nepotism and who you know (duh).    Must suck to be a minority candidate and get called in just to meet the quota.  Whose out there that deserves a shot? 

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree with you....but hasn't it denigrated into a skin color issue, sadly?.....don't we more often than not read about an African American coaching candidate interview versus a Hispanic, Asian, et al (minorities of your choice)?.....sure would suck to be a man of color and wonder if the "call" was tokenship or seriously consideration of my skill set.........

Anytime you get opportunity due to special circumstances whether it is due to color, ethnics, sex, religion, economics, handicap, mental deficiency (pay attention here Gungy) you need to question it.  I had a number of scholarships for college - some were academic, some were due to community participation (Lions Club and student government) and one was for "deserving low income candidate".  The one I had most issue accepting but did finally because without it I could not afford to go to college.

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Id love to see our record with Allen missing the season, Brown missing time, and Singletary being out..all at the same time. 

I think it means a 13-6 loss to the Jets starters.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I heard from Stanford University in 1979 when I was accepted to college there with a partial scholarship.  Still could not afford to go there or Cornell.

Sorry about typo but on laptop and very easy to make typos with stupid touchpad.

Your posts elsewhere in this thread make me somewhat skeptical of this claim...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sorry if duplicated 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28397656/dolphins-part-ways-oc-chad-oshea-two-other-assistants

DAVIE, Fla. -- The Miami Dolphins have parted ways with offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea after one season, the team announced Monday night.

The Dolphins also parted ways with safeties coach Tony Oden and offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No he is not - this was addressed before when an Asian coach and a Hispanic coach were both identified as not counting.

For R(L)oonie Rule minority is black.

" As of June 15, 2009, Rooney Rule requirements apply to all searches for senior football operations positions within the NFL, regardless of a team's title for that position. It now also includes all ethnic minorities, not just African Americans. "  -Wiki

The Saints went 7-9 4 OUT OF 5 seasons from 2012 to 2016. Yeah, BountyGate and all that, but we're talking a 5 year stretch. Pretty sure the Saints are glad they stuck with Payton.

Sean Payton is a better coach than Mike Tomlin, but the circumstances are somewhat similar. I don't even know why he's being discussed.

Glad the Bills have McDermott. We'll find out in the coming years if he's a wild card coach or a championship coach, but it's cool that the Bills aren't even in this discussion.

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I heard from Stanford University in 1979 when I was accepted to college there with a partial scholarship.  Still could not afford to go there or Cornell.

Sorry about typo but on laptop and very easy to make typos with stupid touchpad.

I was in the same boat my man. Harvard and Yale had a very public feud for my services, but the fam couldn't afford it and neither would pony up enough loot to make it worth my while. I settled on Oxford because they swooped in with the FREE RIDE and then some, if you know what I mean.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, y2zipper said:

I think tomlin's tenure has become a little more impressive considering what Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell ended up actually becoming when they left that team.

And getting eight pro bowl years from AB when he was there looks even more impressive now.