Ex-Patriots rival picks Tre'Davious White over Stephon Gilmore as NFL Defensive MVP

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-patriots-rival-picks-tredavious-182217590.html

White is having a tremendous season and his six interceptions is tied with Gilmore for the league lead. Gilmore has returned two of his interceptions for touchdowns, with the latest coming in New England's Week 15 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. He's also allowed a passer rating under 35 on throws into his coverage and leads the league with 19 passes defensed. The 2018 All-Pro routinely shuts down the opposing team's best wide receiver as well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

The answer is... Because he plays for Buffalo.

This is kind of where I’m at. Tre has been every bit as good as Gilmore this year and has done so on an equally dominant defense. Gilmore has run a couple back but that’s pretty much the only difference. The people in the camp that “Gilmore is DPOY” have to look at Tre in a very similar manner. He’s been a dominant player and should be 1st team all-pro.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is kind of where I’m at. Tre has been every bit as good as Gilmore this year and has done so on an equally dominant defense. Gilmore has run a couple back but that’s pretty much the only difference. The people in the camp that “Gilmore is DPOY” have to look at Tre in a very similar manner. He’s been a dominant player and should be 1st team all-pro.

longevity is a piece of it. 

and team success.

market obviously matters too but top paid free agent on a super bowl contender that’s made huge plays on the biggest stages gets more looks by default. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

As Tre been toasted like Gilmore was on Saturday?

Followed by the patented ‘Gilmore Glance’ at the Jumbotron and looking for someone else to blame.

I can remember like two or three plays all year where Tre was clearly beat by the WR

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Curios what you mean by that?

Fair or not, a veteran like Gilmore, with a history of elite play, is more likely to get the nod than someone on his rookie contract like White if both have strong cases for the award. Awards in most professional sports often go to the more experienced player in a toss-up scenario. Some writers will also prioritize the player on a team with a better record, which is particularly moronic in Cy Young voting (deGrom)

Just now, ny33 said:

Fair or not, a veteran like Gilmore, with a history of elite play, is more likely to get the nod than someone on his rookie contract like White if both have strong cases for the award. Awards in most professional sports often go to the more experienced player in a toss-up scenario. Some writers will also prioritize the player on a team with a better record, which is particularly moronic in Cy Young voting (deGrom)

Makes sense. I did read something the other day that said for the past three years (since they have been on their current teams) Tre has the best numbers for a Corner, with Gilmore at second. 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Makes sense. I did read something the other day that said for the past three years (since they have been on their current teams) Tre has the best numbers for a Corner, with Gilmore at second. 

It seemed absurd for Tre to lose DROY to Lattimore, but there is as strong of a case for Gilmore to get DPOY. We would probably save a million+ a year if Tre doesn’t have the awards on his resumé when we negotiate his extension. I hope Beane has been spending a lot of time planning on how to best budget for and time extensions for guys like Tre, Milano, Edmunds, and Dawkins, especially if Josh keeps getting better at a rapid pace. We are lucky that he has a great eye for veteran FA deals at team-friendly rates and a good draft track record, as we are probably going to lose 1-2 of the rookie contract guys on defense if Josh plays really well next year. 

5 minutes ago, ny33 said:

It seemed absurd for Tre to lose DROY to Lattimore, but there is as strong of a case for Gilmore to get DPOY. We would probably save a million+ a year if Tre doesn’t have the awards on his resumé when we negotiate his extension. I hope Beane has been spending a lot of time planning on how to best budget for and time extensions for guys like Tre, Milano, Edmunds, and Dawkins, especially if Josh keeps getting better at a rapid pace. We are lucky that he has a great eye for veteran FA deals at team-friendly rates and a good draft track record, as we are probably going to lose 1-2 of the rookie contract guys on defense if Josh plays really well next year. 

Yeah. That was a joke. I don't think it's that Gilmore doesn't have a case, it's just that Tre isn't getting any mention at all. And he should. 

Yep. Beane is gonna have a lot of work to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’d love Tre to be widely recognized as the best CB in the NFL, but preferably after we sign him to a new deal! ?

He and Lattimore will be battling for the highest paid.  Adroree jackson will probably try and throw himself in the conversation 

Its funny because he played in Buffalo for 5 years before going to NE.  He made the pro bowl once on his last season here.  He was just as good in Buffalo as he has been in NE.  He hits NE and all of a sudden he is first team all pro and probably dpoy.  He was every bit as good here.

• Like (+1) 2

According to Chris Simms, Tre gets downgraded in the top corner conversation because Buffalo plays so much zone, whereas Gilmore is always locked in on the opponent’s best receiver.  Simms rated Tre just outside the top 5.  FWIW, his top 3 were Gilmore, Ramsey, and Humphrey.  I don’t really buy it, but I do respect Simms’s opinion.

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

According to Chris Simms, Tre gets downgraded in the top corner conversation because Buffalo plays so much zone, whereas Gilmore is always locked in on the opponent’s best receiver.  Simms rated Tre just outside the top 5.  FWIW, his top 3 were Gilmore, Ramsey, and Humphrey.  I don’t really buy it, but I do respect Simms’s opinion.

The zone thing makes a difference, but I think we've seen Tre play a decent amount of man as well. I would be curious to see if there were stats out there detailing the percentage of plays in zone vs man.