Will 2019 Steelers Suffer Same Fate as 2004 Bills?!

ChasBB

Much like the 2004 Bills, the 2019 Steelers need a victory and some help in the final week to make the playoffs.  And, like the 2004 Bills, who played the Steelers' 2nd & 3rd stringers in week 17 of 2004, the Steelers will be facing the Ravens' 2nd & 3rd stringers, as well, in week 17 of 2019.  Buffalo got the help it needed in 2004 from the Jets losing, but couldn't defeat Pittsburgh's backups to seal the deal.  I would like nothing better than for Pittsburgh to get the help it needs and then throw it all away by losing to the Ravens backups!  The Steelers and their fans should have an opportunity to know exactly what that feels like, too - share the wealth!

Of course, there is still a scenario whereby the Steelers lose and still make it (with a ton of help), so is not exactly the same as 2004, but close enough for me!

Go Ravens' backups!!

• Like (+1) 2

What if the Raiders sneak in on the back end? If they win along with Tennessee losing to Houston, Steelers to the Ravens, and a couple other things, which are likely, happen then they get in. 

Edited by H2o

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I guess I don't care what happens to them one way or another.  Going into their stadium on primetime and beating them to clinch our playoff spot is all the justice/revenge I needed for that 04 game.  On to Houston!

Agree, that win helped a lot as payback goes!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Much like the 2004 Bills, the 2019 Steelers need a victory and some help in the final week to make the playoffs.  And, like the 2004 Bills, who played the Steelers' 2nd & 3rd stringers in week 17 of 2004, the Steelers will be facing the Ravens' 2nd & 3rd stringers, as well, in week 17 of 2019.  Buffalo got the help it needed in 2004 from the Jets losing, but couldn't defeat Pittsburgh's backups to seal the deal.  I would like nothing better than for Pittsburgh to get the help it needs and then throw it all away by losing to the Ravens backups!  The Steelers and their fans should have an opportunity to know exactly what that feels like, too - share the wealth!

Of course, there is still a scenario whereby the Steelers lose and still make it (with a ton of help), so is not exactly the same as 2004, but close enough for me!

Go Ravens' backups!!

I don’t like hoping bad things to happen to other teams. The only exception is Tom Brady and Belicheat.

That’s a stretch. The 2004 Bills were on a multi game win streak with the chance of getting in, with a win and a Jets loss. The Jets lost “after” the Bills played. They didn’t have an incentive to win. The Steelers backups beat the Bills.

The Steelers fans of this year won’t be looking back at the Bills 15 years from now and talk about how they lost to the Bills and missed the playoffs. They’ll remember it as an injury riddled year and they still almost got in, assuming they don’t.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I guess I don't care what happens to them one way or another.  Going into their stadium on primetime and beating them to clinch our playoff spot is all the justice/revenge I needed for that 04 game.  On to Houston!

+1/  

We hadn't beaten them in Heinz field ever and it was greet for us to get our revenge on the road in their stadium

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ChasBB said:

Go Ravens' backups!!

The scenario was a little differentl.  I’m certain that in 2004 it was a “win and in scenario.”  The Bills completely botched that game versus second string players.  There really was no excuse for that.  

But yeah, I can still see Pittsburgh losing to Baltimore, though I think we’ll discover that an RG3 led rushing attack is nowhere as good as Lamar.

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The scenario was a little differentl.  I’m certain that in 2004 it was a “win and in scenario.”  The Bills completely botched that game versus second string players.  There really was no excuse for that.  

But yeah, I can still see Pittsburgh losing to Baltimore, though I think we’ll discover that an RG3 led rushing attack is nowhere as good as Lamar.

It was not a win and in scenario. We needed either the Jets to lose to the Rams or the Broncos to lose to a Colts team resting their starters plus a Bills win. The Jets did end up losing to the Rams in OT but the Bills game ended before the Jets game went to OT and thus the Jets took some starters out as the game became meaningless for them. 

5 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

It was not a win and in scenario. We needed either the Jets to lose to the Rams or the Broncos to lose to a Colts team resting their starters plus a Bills win. The Jets did end up losing to the Rams in OT but the Bills game ended before the Jets game went to OT and thus the Jets took some starters out as the game became meaningless for them. 

this is correct. And the Jets had , i think, a 3 or 7 pt lead when the Bills loss went official, and the instant that score was flashed Jets pulled starters, went totally bland and essentially just wanted to get out of the game. 

18 hours ago, H2o said:

What if the Raiders sneak in on the back end? If they win along with Tennessee losing to Houston, Steelers to the Ravens, and a couple other things, which are likely, happen then they get in. 

I actually hope this happens because I think the Raiders with Gruden’s experience could knock KC out. This would be awesome because it would mean a trip to NE for the divisional round and perhaps a rematch of the 1991 AFC championship in Orchard Park! ?one can dream....

• Like (+1) 1