Josh Allen: That’s my QB!!

NewEra

4 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Bro every QB misses their share of plays throws and opportunities... McDermott plays wayyyy to conservative which tends to work about half the time -- more so against weaker opponents.

Bro Allen killed the first 3 offensive drives of the game with errant throws. When the bills were playing largely from behind and McDermott’s conservative playcalling hadn’t even yet come into play. Again if you can attribute those first 3 drive-killing throws to Daboll or McDermott please tell me - i’ll listen. But I just don’t see how you can put those on them. Allen’s failures on those drives helped keep our defense on the field for most of the 1st half. 

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

The first 29 minutes was about as bad of a quarterbacking performance as I have ever seen.  

The last 31 minutes were as good as any QB has looked against NE this year.  

Started to feel like the coaching staff was more responsible for slowing down Allen than the Patriots were. 

Yeah, Allen alluded to this in his press conference. He acknowledge a pattern of slow starts, said he needs maybe to throw more before the game. Strange. It's like he has to adjust to the opponent or the climate or something. If we had the fourth-quarter Allen all four quarters they'd be going to the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, finn said:

Yeah, Allen alluded to this in his press conference. He acknowledge a pattern of slow starts, said he needs maybe to throw more before the game. Strange. It's like he has to adjust to the opponent or the climate or something. If we had the fourth-quarter Allen all four quarters they'd be going to the Super Bowl. 

Or nerves?  He had a couple early throws where either his feet were misaligned or he was on his back foot, then seemed to settle down.

On another note, I don't know if anyone commented elsewhere, but on his overthrow to Brown down the middle, they showed the replay with isolation on Smoke and he did some kind of stutter then kicked it into gear when he realized the ball was coming.  I'm not sure he was the primary on that one and he certainly didn't act like it.  Made me realize all so-called "bad" throws aren't all on Josh.

• Like (+1) 4

Well said. He has the ferocious will to win that Kelly had, with a better arm, size and running ability. Even his fiercest critics admit he is likely to improve, maybe a lot. Think about what that means. As a second-year player, with smurf receivers, he took the Ravens and Pats (and Browns) to the final possession with time running out. And people here want to give up on him now?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, finn said:

Well said. He has the ferocious will to win that Kelly had, with a better arm, size and running ability. Even his fiercest critics admit he is likely to improve, maybe a lot. Think about what that means. As a second-year player, with smurf receivers, he took the Ravens and Pats (and Browns) to the final possession with time running out. And people here want to give up on him now?

A fair number of those people are mentally challenged I believe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A fair number of those people are mentally challenged I believe.

Some people grind the ax, others can't see the forest for the trees, and others are just angry about the loss.  I recall how some people would go off on Gilmore when he occasionally  gave up a TD, as if one bad play defined his entire play.  Happens all the time here.

42 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Please stop blaming the coaches for piss poor execution.  Allen missed throws that would have been TD's.  Period.  Yes, he made some plays, but he sucked for most of the game.  

True. 

Don't minimize that as few QB's in the NFL makes those throws.

251 total yards, 2 TD's,102.7 passer rating, 84.5 QBR.  I don't consider that as sucking.  He sucked in the first Pats game.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

True. 

Don't minimize that as few QB's in the NFL makes those throws.

251 total yards, 2 TD's,102.7 passer rating, 84.5 QBR.  I don't consider that as sucking.  He sucked in the first Pats game.

And this from a guy who's had a fair bit of criticism for Allen this year. Good on ya.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And watch Brady retire after the season. I'de be upset if he walks right when we're getting going. I've wanted to beat him so bad. Maybe we'll get another shot this year.

I wouldn`t care one bit and would be glad to see him go.

I hope he takes the grumpy Lobster Boat Captain with him :)

This thread is like an early Christmas present for the Nancy's. They love the misery and that misery loves company. They also carry their banner with pride and take every opportunity to "reinforce" their stance. 

Josh has now faced a BB, Brady led New England team 3 times. We all know what Belichick does to young QB's. We have seen it for 20 years now. In his first two he put up QB ratings of 52.4 with with 2 INT's and only 1 TD (2018) then earlier this year he had a QB rating of 24.0 with 3 INT's and no TD's at all. Last night Josh has a QB rating of 102.7 while throwing 2 TD's and having no interceptions. Is that not improvement? He also drops two absolute dimes on deep passes right in the bucket while under pressure. Is that not improvement? Were the Nancy's not most vehemently crying about his deep ball? Many others expressed their concerns as well, but this was the feather in the cap of the detractors. "Oh, well he has improved on the intermediate stuff, but he can't throw a deep ball to save his life!" Now it almost seems like whatever he does well they will point to the opposite to justify their stance. Yes, Josh missed some throws. A crossing route to Beasley, a throw a little inside when it should have more towards the sideline for McKenzie or Brown, about a foot out of the window of Knox on that last drive while trying to get the ball over top of a defender. Hell, even running for his life on that 4th down play he still almost found Beasley in the corner of the endzone. He's not Drew Brees, and neither are any other QB's for that matter. He is however a 23 year old QB who is improving and working with some limited resources still on offense whether you want to admit it or not. You can see it. Once he had that drive before halftime, the game wasn't too big for him even in a losing effort. The fact of the matter is NE executed their offense to perfection and had almost a 2-1 edge in TOP. Even with that we were right there again at the end against the 2nd best team in the AFC, just like we were against the best team in the AFC a couple of weeks ago. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

is it though? Hey I am not a fan of the coaching strategy when the Bills get a lead either, but the coaches aren’t responsible for Allen missing on those throws early in the game. I think Allen himself would tell you that.

Except that they are because he was constantly throwing in 3rd & long and under pressure.  They weren't giving him any easy throws or letting him pass on early downs when pressure isn't as likely.  The constant run on first down shtick is the worst strategy a coach can do for a QB.  It is too predictable and consistently puts the QB in bad 3rd down situations.  It forces the QB to play perfect and that is why his incomplete passes are much more of an impact.

• Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen is getting closer and closer to fully arriving.

Aside from giving up a sack or two that he could have thrown the ball away his decision making was superb.   He took care of the ball very well against a tough team to do so and his visualization of the field and decisions on where to throw the ball were spot on.   

He showed toughness on his runs and they were crucial and meaningful runs that contributed to the offense.   His deep passes were fantastic, in which that throw to Brown was a thing of beauty.  Not only was he being heavily pressured but he stepped back a couple steps just enough to get the ball off so that he wouldn’t get sacked and made that throw while doing so.    That was one for the high light reels.   He had at least 4 throws to Beasley that were impressive.  The one on the final drive throwing across his body, he had another one where he threw it away from the defender sandwiched between two defenders, the side armed throw that led to a big gain up the middle and a beautiful sideline ball for about 14 yards.  These were all big boy throws.

With that said, he needs to be more consistent, he had 4 missed throws from my count, two to Knox that would have resulted in touchdowns, most importantly on the final drive, the 2nd down throw.   He needs to learn that if his receiver has a step or two on his defender and has one on one coverage that it’s ok to slightly under throw it.   Obviously try to hit it on the run but to error on the side of being slightly under thrown.    When the receiver has a step or two on the defender he has a huge advantage, the defender is running for his life looking at the receiver and is unable to locate where the ball is, he’s essentially going to defend where the receivers hands are and keep his arms up where as the receiver is looking back at the ball and can play the ball.    

They need to teach him this and practice these scenarios over and over with him.

Mechanics and these play situations are what he needs to work on.   The mechanics will help clean up the inconsistent overthrows on those dig, post and crossing patterns that we see him too often do.  And just mentally having him recognize that it’s ok to slightly under throw some of these other deep balls is ok to.  Give your guy a chance to make the play.

Overall, considering a hostile playoff environment, a prepared patriot team against one of the best defenses the NFL has seen over the past decade, Josh Allen made big strides.    Had a QB rating of 103 and made lots of big plays to help the team.

The loss hurts and I’m sure Josh Allen will be thinking about that Knox missed pass but they shouldn’t be ashamed.   If anything the defense was out schemed and missed tons of tackles.   The Bills are oh so close to being the best team in the division and I’m excited to see what happens in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 6

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because of everything you just said I think McD is misusing him. I think we are a better team if we let him be himself, be a playmaker, make more mistakes but more plays. That's who he is and he's a stud. 

Exactly.  Let him play ball.  The more experience he gets, the less mistakes he’ll make....and more great plays he’ll make.  He’s learning.  Let him learn.  By his mistakes and triumphs.  Just don’t put him in handcuffs and take away what he does best.  Make plays not many Qbs in the world can make.

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People on this board just like to rip this kid cause they don’t want to admit they’re wrong about him...Rich Eisen and bunch of others watching that game tonight saw an entirely different game then some posters on here who wanted Josh Rosen ? or the Ghost Whisperer Mr Darnold instead  

I wanted baker, darnold and Rosen over Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because of everything you just said I think McD is misusing him. I think we are a better team if we let him be himself, be a playmaker, make more mistakes but more plays. That's who he is and he's a stud. 

Agree 100%.   I think McD needs to let him loose a  little bit.  Allen has matured since that week four fiasco.  But he is a rhythm QB...put him in a place eto run the offense

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If I could l like this post twice, I would.

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Josh Allen is getting closer and closer to fully arriving.

Aside from giving up a sack or two that he could have thrown the ball away his decision making was superb.   He took care of the ball very well against a tough team to do so and his visualization of the field and decisions on where to throw the ball were spot on.   

He showed toughness on his runs and they were crucial and meaningful runs that contributed to the offense.   His deep passes were fantastic, in which that throw to Brown was a thing of beauty.  Not only was he being heavily pressured but he stepped back a couple steps just enough to get the ball off so that he wouldn’t get sacked and made that throw while doing so.    That was one for the high light reels.   He had at least 4 throws to Beasley that were impressive.  The one on the final drive throwing across his body, he had another one where he threw it away from the defender sandwiched between two defenders, the side armed throw that led to a big gain up the middle and a beautiful sideline ball for about 14 yards.  These were all big boy throws.

With that said, he needs to be more consistent, he had 4 missed throws from my count, two to Knox that would have resulted in touchdowns, most importantly on the final drive, the 2nd down throw.   He needs to learn that if his receiver has a step or two on his defender and has one on one coverage that it’s ok to slightly under throw it.   Obviously try to hit it on the run but to error on the side of being slightly under thrown.    When the receiver has a step or two on the defender he has a huge advantage, the defender is running for his life looking at the receiver and is unable to locate where the ball is, he’s essentially going to defend where the receivers hands are and keep his arms up where as the receiver is looking back at the ball and can play the ball.    

They need to teach him this and practice these scenarios over and over with him.

Mechanics and these play situations are what he needs to work on.   The mechanics will help clean up the inconsistent overthrows on those dig, post and crossing patterns that we see him too often do.  And just mentally having him recognize that it’s ok to slightly under throw some of these other deep balls is ok to.  Give your guy a chance to make the play.

Overall, considering a hostile playoff environment, a prepared patriot team against one of the best defenses the NFL has seen over the past decade, Josh Allen made big strides.    Had a QB rating of 103 and made lots of big plays to help the team.

The loss hurts and I’m sure Josh Allen will be thinking about that Knox missed pass but they shouldn’t be ashamed.   If anything the defense was out schemed and missed tons of tackles.   The Bills are oh so close to being the best team in the division and I’m excited to see what happens in the playoffs.

Ditto--deserves 2 likes from me.