Has there been a "great" coach who is clearly conservative?

Kelly the Dog

I'm trying to think of one. In any sport. 

Don't make this a hate McDermott stance or thread. I like him. I'm glad we have him. But it's arguable that his blatant conservative nature holds this team back. 

There are no facts. This is ALL opinion. And some of his conservative nature surely helps. We're 10-5 and will likely finish 11-5. 

But the object is to win it all. Josh is a unique talent. We need to score more points or there is little chance to win it all and that is the object. 

I think he needs to relinquish some of his dearly held nature in order to be great. I don't think you can be great without a killer instinct. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Most great coaches have had great rosters, and don’t need to coach as conservatively as McD to win. This roster isn’t complete yet. McD is a very good coach, especially on defense. He needs better players on O, and probably a better OC to have a shot to win it all. 

• Like (+1) 5

I think McD can “evolve” to being more aggressive when he is confident he has the horses.  

Right now, I’d say this is how he thinks we can win.  The formula is good D and limited mistakes, winning close games- until we see more from the offense.  When we have a real offense hopefully the philosophy changes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Chuck Knox, Tom Landry

Neither of those were. Staubach was one of the most revolutionary QBs. Bob Hayes was the opposite. 

Knox was not an overly conservative coach. On either side of the ball. When he had Ferguson and Cribbs here we were not conservative. 

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Don't make this a hate McDermott stance or thread. I like him. I'm glad we have him. But it's arguable that his blatant conservative nature holds this team back. 

There are no facts. This is ALL opinion. And some of his conservative nature surely helps. We're 10-5 and will likely finish 11-5. 

But the object is to win it all. Josh is a unique talent. We need to score more points or there is little chance to win it all and that is the object. 

I think he needs to relinquish some of his dearly held nature in order to be great. I don't think you can be great without a killer instinct. 

Good post.  The last thing we have is a killer instinct.  If we did, the coaches would go back to things that worked, such as passing on first and/or second down, and become totally unpredictable.  Coaches like Belichick "eat your lunch" when you don't KEEP them guessing.

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The only conservative great coach I can think of would be from soccer Jose Mourinho ..I agree with your premise though ..Sean needs to add aggressiveness to his repertoire Everytime we get ahead we basically go into clock wasting mode up 17-13 the gameplan needed more aggressiveness not conservative clock management .

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was not always conservative. They won with both great offense and defense. Bart Starr, Paul Hornug, the WR, TE, was not at all conservative. 

We don't have the equivalent of Horning and Starr

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills scored what McD wants....  They reached 17 & had a lead.....  This is pretty much the same story over & over......  17 Cleveland, Pitt, Baltimore & NE.....  And forget trying to score more.

Yes NE was just going to let us score.