Brian Daboll has no future here

Tesla03

3 hours ago, GG said:

Is there a possibility that the OC is bad because the QB can't consistently execute?

I will guarantee you this: if Allen was a good QB who consistently made throws and produced points, no one, and I mean no one, would be bitching about the offensive coordinator.

Bitching about the OC is usually code for "our QB is no good."

Having said that, I do not think Daboll is particularly impressive.

The only thing Josh Allen does well is run the football.  We should be using him in a very run-heavy offense, similar to what Baltimore is doing with Lamar Jackson.

Instead, Daboll and McD insist on trying to pretend Allen is a pocket passer.

He was used "properly" in the sense I am discussing here only a few plays in the entire NE game.

I would love to see that improved and I think with better coaching Allen could have been more productive this season.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

End of discussion. the guy is clueless when it comes to putting together a top offense. 

28th in the league in pass offense. ranked bottom 10 in almost every single important category. You saw on that last drive how he is holding back this offense. How come when the game is on the line our offense suddenly becomes alive? Allen was going off script and making plays with his arm and legs. 

Daboll has 1 more year to figure his job out or he needs to go. being ranked bottom 5 pass offense as a 10 win playoff team is a joke. 

And he still schemes 2 touchdown passes a game that Josh misses.  Dont forget that part.

I'm not a fan but I'm torn. On one hand he's got to shoulder blame for the conservative nature of our offense and frankly some of the bias that goes into our personnel in my opinion (Robert Foster), but on the other we're in the playoffs and our QB has 29 TDs on the season, so something is working. I'm very skeptical that Daboll is the answer, but we've improved over last year and I fear that the possibility of even losing a season with the addition of a new OC really isn't an option with Allen's current growth arc. I love Allen, but let's be honest - if we for example replace Daboll after this season, and Allen is even worse next year, then we're right back in draft a QB territory and are spinning our wheels. I'm leaning toward sticking with Daboll, but I don't like it. 

Eh, a lot of it is execution...

That being said, the constant first down runs today were predictable, beyond frustrating and really hurt our offense. 

The three straight runs, to go 3 and out, up 17-13, was just brutal to watch.  

The QB sweep on 1st and Goal from the 8.... just, no. Stop it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t understand this topic, the guy consistently comes up with opponent specific game plans that keep us in every game. There doesn’t always have to be a scapegoat. It could just be that we are the 88 Bills - knocking on the door but not quite ready. 

3 hours ago, boater said:

Weird phrase to start a thread.

Ha, and furthermore how about a suggestion? I don't think anybody out there gives Daboll more than a ho-him B, but who exactly do you replace him with to make sure that our still raw, young QB doesn't miss a beat with his development? I fear replacing Daboll ultimately turns into replacing our QB a year later, and then probably drafting another WR in the first round, and then we're right back to struggling for an 8-8 record for the better part of a decade. Sounds like a Black Mirror episode strictly for Bills fans. Things are working right now, and we probably shouldn't break it.

Edited by Nelius

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I will guarantee you this: if Allen was a good QB who consistently made throws and produced points, no one, and I mean no one, would be bitching about the offensive coordinator.

Bitching about the OC is usually code for "our QB is no good."

Having said that, I do not think Daboll is particularly impressive.

The only thing Josh Allen does well is run the football.  We should be using him in a very run-heavy offense, similar to what Baltimore is doing with Lamar Jackson.

Instead, Daboll and McD insist on trying to pretend Allen is a pocket passer.

He was used "properly" in the sense I am discussing here only a few plays in the entire NE game.

I would love to see that improved and I think with better coaching Allen could have been more productive this season.

You’re actually wrong. Everyone ***** about McDaniels in NE basically every time the Pats lose.

I've been one of his biggest critics this season. Yet, he doesn't throw, doesn't block. The offense needs some better talent and we will see.

Allen needs more experience. The Line needs upgrades. The offense needs that one go to WR /TE that can't be stopped. 

Still, the Bills were in the red zone about to score to tie the game and just couldn't get it done...against the leagues #1 defense. 

If I find fault its that the run game needs to be more diverse along with finding a way to get that run game going against anyone. 

I think Daboll can draw up some plays, but has little feel for when to call them. I’m not a huge fan of criticizing playcalling in general, but Daboll seems to just throw things out there. Far too many first down runs, no emphasis on screens to slow the pass rush and too many low percentage passes in the red zone. However, if he departs they should consider bumping up Ken Dorsey and keeping the basis of the offense. No need to start over, and Josh doesn’t seem to have any rapport with Daboll. He apparently speaks highly of Ken Dorsey, and that may be what the offense needs. 

40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Eh, a lot of it is execution...

That being said, the constant first down runs today were predictable, beyond frustrating and really hurt our offense. 

The three straight runs, to go 3 and out, up 17-13, was just brutal to watch.  

The QB sweep on 1st and Goal from the 8.... just, no. Stop it. 

Hated that sweep call, and hoped he had scrapped it weeks ago. In that goal to go situation it was a wasted down. 

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Who would have known that an OC who’s been bad every chance he’s had in the NFL would be a bad OC for us? 

McD is 0-2 on OC choices. I doubt he gets fired though because continuity or something ridiculous.

McDermott won't be fired because he's talent the tram to the playoffs two out of 3 years and has a winning record as a coach. Something bad about that after near 20 years of Bills futility?

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its not about play calls its about execution. Dawson Knox was wide open in the corner of the endzone and he put it about a foot too high. The OC can't make up for continuous poor execution.

Lol this is dumb. The back shoulder corner end zone is not an easy shot as Kurt Warner said on TV. A lot of QBs miss on that time to time. Josh threw it safely so only his guy had a chance and we picked up 3 points on the drive. We lost by more than 4 buckaroo.

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I’ll middle this discussion.  Allen HAS to hit Knox there.  But we also have to throw the ball more on first down to win games like this one.  Normally I think the daboll criticisms are very unfair, but I didn’t like our approach today.  

Also, for what it’s worth, I though we were way too conservative on D and overall didn’t play so well tonight. by contrast, NE was basically perfect.  And they had to be to beat us. I have a LOT of hope for the playoffs and for the future. 

I agree that NE played basically as well as they could with who they have now personnel wise and still barely won. That bodes well. I think the D played probably around 60% of what they normally do and the offense is kind of what they have been all year long. Allen actually hit a few deep passes for a change but again had some issues. I am comfortable he will improve on these in the off-season...he has come so far in such a short period of time that it is really exciting to think what he could be next year and the following years.